• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice please

Charm

Young Bun
I have 6 rabbits all rescues apart from two pet shop ones which in a kinda way were rescued aswell. Somebody that was looking at them that day looked pretty weird so we bought them so that person did not get them. Anyway 4 are neutered speyed. But the two pet shop ones both dwarfs well one is supposed to be but is getting bigger, are females I cannot afford to have then speyed at the moment. They get on brilliantly normally but the bigger one is trying to make a nest and being pretty nasty to the smaller one.

Any advice please?

I've got a group of 4 unspayed girls and they do need more space than a male/female pair of bunnies - they pluck fur from each other when nesting, and I guess it hurts as the sisters don't half run from the one that is broody! A hutch isn't big enough for a pair like this I don't think - make sure they have boxes and chairs and 2 big underbed storage boxes full of hay - the more hay they have the easier it is for them to get nesting out of their system - I give my girls double the hay if one is broody, so nobunny goes hungry :)

Hi

Have you got your girls in hutches then, if so how big are they, do you have pictures. I was cleaning their hutch this afternoon and whilst I was cleaning I put them outside in my 6ft pen. She started to make a nest by pulling her own fur out. Just wondering will this pass or will she continue with it?

no the group of 4 is in a 5x8 shed - they need the space for boxes and chairs etc. - so far they've got on fine for 3yrs *touch wood!*

when one makes a nest I leave it till they lose interest - if you clear it up they get distressed and just make another one immediately, so they go bald. If you leave it and just sweep up around it (while they watch looking all worried!) they lose interest in about a week - I usually leave a nest for about 10 days.

Just a passing thought. I read from your post that the 2 pet shops buns aren't yet spayed..are you absolutely sure both are females?

Fingers crossed that the nest builder is just a cross bunster who's feeling a tad hormonal!!!:)

Well I had them both at the vets and they told me they were both female. They have sexed all my rabbits and never been wrong.

well I'm sure if you have a feel underneath and one is a boy, you will feel some testicles - I hope your vet is right anyway :)

Both are definitely female had a wee peep lol! I will try leaving the nest if she makes one just dont want her to bully the smaller one. One minute she is licking her face then she chases her.

my girls chase each other if I appear as they always think I've got food and Primrose the greedy one just flies at her sisters the minute she sees me as she's a greedy madam :roll:

Back