PDA

View Full Version : Which type of hay and where do you buy it from?

Netutopia
11-06-2008, 09:34 AM
Hiya :wave:

I was just interested to know what type of hay everyone feeds their bunnies and where you buy it from.

Also do you use straw for bedding as well as hay or just hay?

Just trying to get some ideas.

Thanks

Angie65
11-06-2008, 09:48 AM
I only use hay & I get a massive round bale for 20 from a farmer

holidayhutch
11-06-2008, 10:14 AM
We get our hay from Norman at the Dust Free Hay Company. Huge bale for 18

We also use Bed-down Excel which is a dust extracted shavings and wheatstraw mix, or Megazorb

Netutopia
11-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Do they have a website?

Sooz
11-06-2008, 10:33 AM
I order ordinary Meadow Hay online for most of my buns but my two fussy ones only eat Excel Forage :roll:

I use Barley straw for bedding in the hutches.

Netutopia
11-06-2008, 10:43 AM
Thanks for your reply Sooz - your bunnies look luverly :love:

Is the meadow hay that you use chopped? I ordered some online and didn't realise it was chopped - my buns don't seem too impressed by it :roll:

Tried to tempt them by mixing it with forage XL but they just looked at me like I'd gone mad!

Sooz
11-06-2008, 10:52 AM
If you mean are the strands cut short then no, it's quite long and most of my bunnies eat it. They get Ready Grass (which is short) alongside it too.

It's only very cheap and as I said, some fussier rabbits wont eat it but thankfully 5 of my 7 will!

RusselRocky
11-06-2008, 10:54 AM
I feed mine dried grass stuff from Excel as Lucy will only eat that and the rest of them are now following suit!! Brats!! :lol::roll:

Its called Supa Forage Excel Natural Grass!

stewyprinceandluna
11-06-2008, 11:16 AM
I buy a big bale of hay from a local farm for 3 :D lasts me about 3 months with 5 buns and 3 pigs! :)

capel
11-06-2008, 11:18 AM
I use megazorb in the liter trays and buy my hay from Norman at dustfree hay.co.uk. As my bunsters are outdoor ones I use very soft bedding straw and vet bed in the winter.

vengeful.veggie
11-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Burgess Supa Forage Excel, they love it! :)

Bavarian Bunny
11-06-2008, 11:28 AM
I feed mostly meadow hay, and as a treat, small amounts of Alfalfa King timothy hay and Vitakraft herbal hay. I buy it all from the Hay Experts.

Morrigan1981
11-06-2008, 12:12 PM
Dust Free Hay from Norman for my bunnies too (www.dustfreehay.co.uk) :D I use Norman's stalky hay for feeding to the buns and then straw for bedding.

Minimallow
11-06-2008, 12:17 PM
I buy mine from bunnyhugger :lol: Big huge bales of farm hay. Nice and green and sweet smelling and the buns love it :D

Thea & Bobbin
11-06-2008, 01:42 PM
The last batch I bought was from West Wales Willows (or The Willow Warren) it works out about the same price as dust free, as long as you buy a medium or large size. They also do a small sample box for free, only pay 2 postage or something.

It's been really good, Bobbin and Roo both eat it fine and Bobbin has been known to be a bit fussy! :rolleyes: :lol:

No bedding as they are indoors :)

BB Mommy
11-06-2008, 02:27 PM
I use meadow hay for litter trays, and for munching they have Green Oat Hay, Dust Free hay from Norman, Timothy Hay and Readigrass.
I used the soft straw in the winter for deep bedding, covered with lots of hay.

elve
11-06-2008, 03:16 PM
mine all have west wales timmy hay - I don't use any for bedding as it's kind of shovelled backwards in their huge litter trays (underbed boxes) and they lie on the uneaten dry hay - when I clean them out I use some of the shorter more dusty bits of hay as an initial bed in their litter trays :)

Netutopia
11-06-2008, 03:33 PM
Thank you for your replies - food for thought!

Everyone that buys bales or huge quantities of hay - where do you store it and how long does it last?

I have 5 bunnies and 6 guinea pigs so need to seriously consider buying in bigger quantities than I do at the moment!

LionheadLuver
11-06-2008, 11:17 PM
I get 5 boxes of Amercian Timothy from Dust Free for 45 and that has lasted me about two months, but I only use that as eating hay in their hay balls. I get big bags of normal meadow hay from the pet shop to use on the floor of the hutch, which costs about 4 and lasts me a fortnight.

Lauralou
11-06-2008, 11:21 PM
nomnomnom, Carlton loves Excel Forage and Herbage and loveloveloves Friendly Dried ReadiGrass, but that's a treat. makes the whole flat smell like a barn though!

Bremridgedutchrabbits
11-06-2008, 11:24 PM
We get our hay from Norman at the Dust Free Hay Company. Huge bale for 18

We also use Bed-down Excel which is a dust extracted shavings and wheatstraw mix, or Megazorb
18 they seen you coming

You can get a bale of good hay for 3

Thea & Bobbin
11-06-2008, 11:25 PM
The last batch I bought was from West Wales Willows (or The Willow Warren) it works out about the same price as dust free, as long as you buy a medium or large size. They also do a small sample box for free, only pay 2 postage or something.

It's been really good, Bobbin and Roo both eat it fine and Bobbin has been known to be a bit fussy! :rolleyes: :lol:

No bedding as they are indoors :)

Oh, also meant to add, they have oat, brome and orchard hay as treats to add a bit of other flavors :rolleyes: :lol:

Re the storage: Willow Warren hay comes in a box, I keep it in the box in the hallway - not very sophisticated :roll: :lol:

Lauralou
11-06-2008, 11:26 PM
18 they seen you coming

Alot of people on here use and trust Dust free Hay and are happy to pay of decent hay, he does alot of different types.

I've used 3ish hay before and my rabbit got mites, I'd happily pay 18.

XMissySJx
11-06-2008, 11:53 PM
i buy a bale from this feed suppliers and he delivers it free, it costs 4, and it lasts 4 bunnies 3 months

drpengie
12-06-2008, 12:17 AM
I buy excel herbage from the hay experts. It has loads of herby bits in and mine love it. They munch munch on it all day long!!

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Hays%2C+Grasses+%252526+Herbs.4/Select+by+Hay+Type.130/Herbal+Hay.34/Excel+Herbage.168.html

Netutopia
12-06-2008, 06:17 AM
I get 5 boxes of Amercian Timothy from Dust Free for 45 and that has lasted me about two months, but I only use that as eating hay in their hay balls. I get big bags of normal meadow hay from the pet shop to use on the floor of the hutch, which costs about 4 and lasts me a fortnight.

Hi LionheadLuver :wave:
How many buns do you have?

Morrigan1981
12-06-2008, 07:24 AM
18 they seen you coming

Even if you do feel that it's possible to buy good hay for less than 18 a bale elsewhere, there was no need to be so rude about it.

I've been buying Dust Free Hay from Norman for a year now and I'm more than happily to pay the extra for hay that is consistently good quality. It's not dusty at all so there's no waste whatsoever - in my opinion it's good economy :)

The Duchess
12-06-2008, 07:56 AM
I use meadow and/or a timothy and rye combination.

I buy it from our 'local' (if you can call 15 miles away local) animal feeds place. It's their own and it's normally great quality all for 4.00 a bale. They've just started cutting this years so hopefully it'll be a good harvest, unlike last year which was halved by the rain.:(

The meadow is usually very soft and has a lot of green in it, whereas the timothy and rye is much stalkier, not quite so green, but brilliant for keeping the little darlings occupied giving their teeth a proper workout.

Milo+Fizz
12-06-2008, 08:04 AM
18 they seen you coming

They are not the same size as your 3 bale. They are round bales used to feed cattle and farm animals. I cant remember the amount but i think its about 15 normal sized bales. Put it this way its bigger than us and it has to be rolled by a few people as you could never lift it.:D

LionheadLuver
12-06-2008, 08:35 AM
Hi LionheadLuver :wave:
How many buns do you have?

Just two. They cost me so much money. :lol: My friends think I'm mad spending that much on rabbits.

biscuitblossom
12-06-2008, 08:53 AM
I get bales of meadow hay from a friend who has it for her horses...last bale cost me 2....also do buy some timothy hay as an extra treat for hay balls .

mullethead
12-06-2008, 09:18 AM
I use farm bale hay for 3,heres a few pics of it,

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff306/mullethead_photo/hay003.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff306/mullethead_photo/hay002.jpg
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff306/mullethead_photo/hay001.jpg

misspiggy
12-06-2008, 10:06 AM
I get bales of meadow hay from the farm too, 3.50. I also give them handfulls of Timothy hay for a change.

bluebunny
12-06-2008, 11:32 AM
I get mine from work as they have horses i get a bale for 3 it lasts 3 weeks

holidayhutch
12-06-2008, 11:53 AM
Even if you do feel that it's possible to buy good hay for less than 18 a bale elsewhere, there was no need to be so rude about it.

I've been buying Dust Free Hay from Norman for a year now and I'm more than happily to pay the extra for hay that is consistently good quality. It's not dusty at all so there's no waste whatsoever - in my opinion it's good economy :)

Ditto Tracey - I love Normans hay and so do all the buns and pigs that have stayed here, I wouldn't feed them on anything else.

I'm sure it would have gone down really well if I had replied, How on earth can you sleep at night feeding cheap rubbish to your buns;):lol:

People have the right to pay what they are happy with and feed what they feel is appropriate.

Oh and just to let that poster know - it's normally heaven forbid 26 we only get it at that price because we go to collect it:p

The one time we got a bale from a farm we landed up with visitors as the blimming thing was full of mice and it had to be chucked. It was also rotting in the middle. It is well known that mosquitos and other insects live in farm hay, let alone the bird droppings etc , all potential causes of being able to pass on diseases to our buns. I'd much rather pay for top quality dust extracted hay that you know exactly what has happened to it and where it has come from.:D

holidayhutch
12-06-2008, 11:56 AM
They are not the same size as your 3 bale. They are round bales used to feed cattle and farm animals. I cant remember the amount but i think its about 15 normal sized bales. Put it this way its bigger than us and it has to be rolled by a few people as you could never lift it.:D

These aren't the round bales we pay 18 for, it is a huge hessian sack that is equivalent to 8 of the smaller sacks he does and each small sack overfills a large dustbin

Milo+Fizz
12-06-2008, 12:50 PM
These aren't the round bales we pay 18 for, it is a huge hessian sack that is equivalent to 8 of the smaller sacks he does and each small sack overfills a large dustbin

Oh yes ive just noticed it the poster before you that has round bales.:oops::lol:

Lauralou
12-06-2008, 03:45 PM
Oh and just to let that poster know - it's normally heaven forbid 26 we only get it at that price because we go to collect it:p

The one time we got a bale from a farm we landed up with visitors as the blimming thing was full of mice and it had to be chucked. It was also rotting in the middle. It is well known that mosquitos and other insects live in farm hay, let alone the bird droppings etc , all potential causes of being able to pass on diseases to our buns. I'd much rather pay for top quality dust extracted hay that you know exactly what has happened to it and where it has come from.:D

:shock: *shock horror!* :lol:

RavinRabbit
12-06-2008, 04:12 PM
All our bunnies (and every foster we've had) can't get enough of the hay we buy from the local pet shop (which comes from a farm).

It's cheap and cheerful but looks and smells great. They eat it morning, noon and night.

BunnyBekkie
12-06-2008, 07:20 PM
I use Comfey :D Indiechic told me about it, and I've never gone back. Bunsters LOVE it!!

Indiechic
12-06-2008, 10:02 PM
I use Comfey :D Indiechic told me about it, and I've never gone back. Bunsters LOVE it!!

it does rock but we now use DFH from Norman... although i must have hay trenchers as mine hasnt lasted aswell as others!!

but then im filling it up constantly!!

Gem
12-06-2008, 10:06 PM
Farm stuff here as well, they love it. They alo get Hay Experts stuff most weeks too spoilt buns :lol:

Netutopia
16-06-2008, 01:05 PM
Just got my order from the Hay Experts (https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/) :)

Ordered on Thursday and it arrived today - great service :). Got lots of different types of hay and other bits and pieces too - should keep my bunnies and piggies happy for a while!

Vanessa.B
16-06-2008, 01:13 PM
I called at Norman's (Dust Free Hay) yesterday on my bunny run and stocked up.

This is the first time I had gone in person - what a lovely guy, so enthusiastic about his hay. The American Timothy is just gorgeous!

cavysrock
16-06-2008, 01:16 PM
bog standard hay from the stables :D

sdf76
16-06-2008, 01:32 PM
I buy a large plastic bag of meadow hay(dust extracted) from the vets but they really LOVe hay that my daughter bunlover gets in London and brings down for me-can't remember the name from a local petfood shop(doesn't sell pets)-Sue:wave:

Sparkle x
16-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Meadow hay from far shop!!

Bedding depends i keep changing!!

x