• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Which type of hay and where do you buy it from?

Netutopia

Alpha Buck
Hiya :wave:

I was just interested to know what type of hay everyone feeds their bunnies and where you buy it from.

Also do you use straw for bedding as well as hay or just hay?

Just trying to get some ideas.

Thanks

We get our hay from Norman at the Dust Free Hay Company. Huge bale for £18

We also use Bed-down Excel which is a dust extracted shavings and wheatstraw mix, or Megazorb

I order ordinary Meadow Hay online for most of my buns but my two fussy ones only eat Excel Forage :roll:

I use Barley straw for bedding in the hutches.

Thanks for your reply Sooz - your bunnies look luverly :love:

Is the meadow hay that you use chopped? I ordered some online and didn't realise it was chopped - my buns don't seem too impressed by it :roll:

Tried to tempt them by mixing it with forage XL but they just looked at me like I'd gone mad!

If you mean are the strands cut short then no, it's quite long and most of my bunnies eat it. They get Ready Grass (which is short) alongside it too.

It's only very cheap and as I said, some fussier rabbits wont eat it but thankfully 5 of my 7 will!

I feed mine dried grass stuff from Excel as Lucy will only eat that and the rest of them are now following suit!! Brats!! :lol::roll:

Its called Supa Forage Excel Natural Grass!

Last edited:
I use megazorb in the liter trays and buy my hay from Norman at dustfree hay.co.uk. As my bunsters are outdoor ones I use very soft bedding straw and vet bed in the winter.

I feed mostly meadow hay, and as a treat, small amounts of Alfalfa King timothy hay and Vitakraft herbal hay. I buy it all from the Hay Experts.

I buy mine from bunnyhugger :lol: Big huge bales of farm hay. Nice and green and sweet smelling and the buns love it :D

The last batch I bought was from West Wales Willows (or The Willow Warren) it works out about the same price as dust free, as long as you buy a medium or large size. They also do a small sample box for free, only pay £2 postage or something.

It's been really good, Bobbin and Roo both eat it fine and Bobbin has been known to be a bit fussy! :rolleyes: :lol:

No bedding as they are indoors :)

I use meadow hay for litter trays, and for munching they have Green Oat Hay, Dust Free hay from Norman, Timothy Hay and Readigrass.
I used the soft straw in the winter for deep bedding, covered with lots of hay.

mine all have west wales timmy hay - I don't use any for bedding as it's kind of shovelled backwards in their huge litter trays (underbed boxes) and they lie on the uneaten dry hay - when I clean them out I use some of the shorter more dusty bits of hay as an initial bed in their litter trays :)

Thank you for your replies - food for thought!

Everyone that buys bales or huge quantities of hay - where do you store it and how long does it last?

I have 5 bunnies and 6 guinea pigs so need to seriously consider buying in bigger quantities than I do at the moment!

I get 5 boxes of Amercian Timothy from Dust Free for £45 and that has lasted me about two months, but I only use that as eating hay in their hay balls. I get big bags of normal meadow hay from the pet shop to use on the floor of the hutch, which costs about £4 and lasts me a fortnight.

nomnomnom, Carlton loves Excel Forage and Herbage and loveloveloves Friendly Dried ReadiGrass, but that's a treat. makes the whole flat smell like a barn though!

Back