• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Coccideous/EC/Dental probs

Angie65

Wise Old Thumper
I am picking up 3 nethies this weekend as the situation has become urgent.

They are coming from a place that has previously had coccideous - buns were treated & several survived several months ago. There may also have been EC as several buns have had illnesses that could be symptoms

Buns will be kept outside & away from my own buns (cannot be seen) & will not use same run space. My buns are indoors but get garden access, although will not see the other buns.
They are currently on panacur, one on metacam & baytril(mouth probs - teeth overgrown & another on baytril - eye infection - already had penicilin). All buns have seen a vet & will be having their first dentals next week - hopefully -these buns are incredibly tiny - one is half the size of my hand. They are 11.5 weeks old. All are eating - currently mix - although we have runny poo.

I need to know what disinfectant procedures I should use. I have jayes fluid & virkron -am I completely dousing myself in these after contact (I'm allergic to virkron - attractive lumps & all)? I will see to my own buns first. Are these the 2 to use?

Is there anything else I need to know? And also - what is the long term outlook for buns with these kind of problems/medication since they left the nest:?

Not much help but have you looked into Formula H or Genie disinfectants as an alternative to Virkon, save yourself the allergic reaction? They're commonly used in rotation with Virkon in the chinchilla fancy, rather than using the same type of disinfectant all the time, and think they're both very broad-spectrum like Virkon.

Angie, am pretty sure I saw recently that virkon & suchlike arent effective against EC etc. Sure someone who knows more will be along soon - Good luck XXX

yep Jeyes fluid for Coci. and Bleach for EC
As sad as it seems I would keep them confined to hutches for at least 3 weeks..as they are tiny the space won't be too bad and limits the risk of cross infection
you've probably thought of this but just in case, use latex exam gloves when cleaning thrm and handling them..can throw out and a fresh pair used each time

yep Jeyes fluid for Coci. and Bleach for EC
As sad as it seems I would keep them confined to hutches for at least 3 weeks..as they are tiny the space won't be too bad and limits the risk of cross infection
you've probably thought of this but just in case, use latex exam gloves when cleaning thrm and handling them..can throw out and a fresh pair used each time

Jill - they already live in a 2ft hutch full time, so my 4ft spare will be a palace. I will get some gloves.

As Jill said for Cox & EC. Virkon & Trigene are not effective against either, I think it's because both are protozoa's and stubborn little :censored: to destroy.

If you need a hand once they are all clear let me know but I cant keep them far enough apart for quarantine without my garden :(

Their outlook should be good and bacteria free if you go w/ the treatment I mentioned in that other thread. Those treatment notes are from the best books in rabbit medicine.

When Bernie was sick (turns out he's not), each time I walk into his room, I use one set of clothes, when I walked out, I change back to my regular set of clothing. That way, when i feed Bernie, if he sneezes on my clothes, or made contact w/ my clothes, it makes no difference, as those clothes never touches another bunny.

Needless to say, i wash my hand w/ hot water + soup

Alternatively I could foster a lop for you....

I'm getting them next week - 2 adults & 4 babies - I don't know sexes of babies yet & they are on a Rescue waiting list, but might be ideal if they can't go to Rescue immediately:D

Good luck with these ones - boiling water/steam cleaning/dry heat (e.g blow torch!) also destroys coccidiosis & e.c. so if you can take them out totally that might be an easier way to thoroughly clean a hutch/patio type area. The fumes from jeyes fluid are really toxic and need to be totally gone before the buns can be put back.

Hope all goes well with them.

Thats a point....I have access to a small steam cleaner if you need one Angie, it's best for use on floors & upholstery though so if they are outside I doubt you'll need it.

I can't stop thinking about these nethies - I adore them.
If you would like me to send you a box of latex gloves and a pack of disposable aprons please pm me (I use them at work) I would be glad to help. I would love to help hands on with the bunnies but I think I am too far away :cry:

Lucy x

I can't stop thinking about these nethies - I adore them.
If you would like me to send you a box of latex gloves and a pack of disposable aprons please pm me (I use them at work) I would be glad to help. I would love to help hands on with the bunnies but I think I am too far away :cry:

Lucy x

I got some freebies from my vet last night:oops: but thank you:D I'll put some pics up when I pick them up. One keeps biting me so I'm hooked:oops::lol:

The buns are outside, so it's more making sure the garden is totally disease-free than anything. Although I am liking the blow torch idea. Reminds me of that distant summer I spent with the chain saw:love:

Back