• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny hasn't eaten all day! Help!!

Maxy123

Young Bun
Hi, i'm really worried about my bunny. She hasn't eaten her pellets or piece of carrot or her hay.

I just tried to tempt her with an apple but she wasn't responding. She isn't sleeping with her legs fully stretched out. If we try and lift her up to see if shes hurt, she just jerks away.
She is currently sitting in the corner of her bedroom.

What could be wrong? I'm really worried.:(

Last edited:
sounds like stasis.. you really should get her to a vet tonight.. the longer without water or food the less likely she will recover :(

:( Dont delay. get to the vets immediately. Could be the onset of stasis. Really, go to the vets now!! Good luck!!

Lisa and the buns xx

Hi, i'm really worried about my bunny. She hasn't eaten her pellets or piece carrot. She hasn't touched anything since last night, not even her hay.

I just tried to tempt her with an apple but she wasn't responding. She isn't sleeping with her legs fully stretched out. If we try and lift her up to see if shes hurt, she just jerks away.
She is currently sitting in the corner of her bedroom.

What could be wrong? I'm really worried.:(

Has she poo'd today ?
She definately needs Veterinary attention this evening as her guts may have stopped working ( Gastrointestinal Stasis ) and this is a life threatening condition.
I would advise you to contact your Vet now.

Good Luck

Janex

Yeah i think she has poo'd today.

Well that is good but she really does need to be examined by a Vet tonight.
If her tummy has slowed right down and she is not eating it means she is 'at risk' and the sooner she receives treatment the better her chances.

Buns are not like other pets such as a dog or a cat. Leaving A Bun to 'see how they are in the morning' is not really an option.

Janex

I can only reiterate what every1 on here has said my bun stopped eating for 5 days and had to by syringe fed by the vets and ourselves if we hadnt not sure what would have happened :cry: if you love your pet then you must go to the vet asap!!!

Hi guys :wave: Thanks for the replies, my dad didn't want to take her to the vet until today if she wasn't better :cry::evil:

Anyway, i went out this morning and she ran down to see me. I put water in a bowl instead of her bottle last night and she was drinking from it today. She nibbled on some leaves and a strand of straw as well, but hasn't touched any other food. I've let her out into the garden and she has poo'ed and urinated outside. There were no droppings inside though.:?

Could it be stasis or is she just a bit lonely?

if she's not eating and is pooing less than normal, it is stasis - Try and get her to run about a bit more as this will help move her guts, and water in a dish is good, but the longer she goes without food the worse she will get.

It sounds quite likely she has problems with her back teeth as this is often the reason they prefer veg over normal food and hay - you do need to take her to a vets that knows about rabbits (not all vets have training in rabbit medicine, so ask if they have done extra courses since qualifying as vets) - they will need to check her back teeth with an otiscope.

She will need painkillers at least until your vet can work out what's wrong with her.

Back