• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Honeysuckle

Omg nooo Rory just ate a bit. Im such an idiot i didnt notice it poking thru the side of the run. I dont know how muhc he ate i dont think it was much. He seems fine :cry: vets???

He would probably have to eat quite a bit of it for it to be a problem. I would just keep an eye on him and make sure he is still lively and eating ok. :D

Thanks :) He seems fine. I think he only had a tiny bit but i'll keep a watch on him tonight

im sorry but i would take him to vets as mine suffered from a poisonous plant and went all flopy on me. he recoved ok as i took him early to the vets and they give him somthing to help him!! finger crossed xx

My first ever rabbit Honeycombe used to eat Honeysuckle ALL the time, being 8 years old I had no idea it was bad for them :oops::oops: she lived 'til 8 herself though...

Hi

The berries of all honeysuckles are poisonous but I am not so sure about the leaves and flowers.

Lonicera japonica (Japanese honeysuckle - more evergreen and yellower trumpet flowers) has Saponins in which are mildly toxic but they have to eat large quantities to be affected (saponins are a 'soap' type of thing which blocks gut absorbtion).

Lonicera periclynum (the good old fashioned English honeysuckle usually pinker flowers) does not seem to be registered as having these - but this may just be the sites I am checking.

If the leaves are poisonous then my rabbits are nothing short of miracles as they scoff quite a lot of leaves. I used to try and stop them but after a while realised that they seemed fine!

I would never feed it to them deliberately but certainly nibbles where it sticks through runs etc don't seem to hurt.

However do ensure you cut it will back if it starts to berry.

I had the same worry when my goats ate some, the vet called the London poisons unit and we were told it was toxic, including leaves, but they had never had any reportings of poisoning. We took the goats in for a couple of days and fed hay only, and Waffle was the only one to get severe diarrhoea on the 3rd day. She stayed bright within herself and was fine after a few days of pro-rumen (ruminant probiotic). I think really it is only a problem in large quantities in goats, but keep and eye on him and maybe give him some biolapis or fibreplex if you have any.
Hope he is OK.

He seems fine...its been about an hour and a half since he ate any and hes been running about like normal ever since.
I think he only ate about half a leaf but it could have been more. I think he's gonna be fine but i'll keep a close eye on him and i'll remember to keep cutting that plant back!

Back