• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Runny Bum?

Kenno

Warren Scout
I think it's Tomee but I'm not entirely sure, well he's the one lying in it! :roll: It seems to be everytime it's a hot day, he gets a runny bum and it's everywhere. I'm having to clean them out every day.

Do you think there's an underlying problem? What can I do to settle his bum?

is it runny poo or sticky eating type poops? are they rearguarded as they are at great risk from flies now?

Does he eat/drink the same amount on a hot day? Just wondering if it could be too little food/too much liquid, maybe cooling him down while it's hot with a water bottle out of the freezer?

Yeah it's like sticky poo! They're not rearguarded, I do check their bums though. What would I need to do to ensure they're rearguarded?

I wouldn't say he eats/drinks any more or any less on a hot day. So you think I need to try and keep him cool, I can do frozen water & I'll see if I can pick up one of those heat/cooling pads from pets at home. I do put shade over the hutch during the day.

Hi:wave:. You buy Rearguard from the Vet. Have you a freezer large enough to take a 2 litre coke bottle? If so just freeze that and put it in the run or hutch.

If it's the sticky poops then maybe a bit overweight? that can stop them eating them straight from their bum, and sometime they accidentally sit on them. Or - excel rabbit pellets can cause this problem in some bunnies - nobody knows why but it's a common cause. Or....too many pellets - should only have about 20 or so pellets morning and evening unless they are very active bunnies :)

I don't think he's overweight, he went to vets about a month ago and she weighed him and said he was fine same for Bea too. I don't really give them that many pellets or vegetables plus they have constant access to a run so they run about all day! It just seems to be when it's a hot day like today for example its been colder and no sloppy poos.

Perhaps I just need to ensure that they're cool when it is a hot day. Thanks for the coke bottle suggestion, I'll try that.

Back