• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Problems

new_horizon

Young Bun
Hi All,

My girlfriend bought two rabbits (Pumpkin & Sweep), female and male respectively about a year ago and they (other than the odd moment) are doing very well. Both are mini-lops we believe.

However, recently she acquired a third rabbit (Tarquin) who was rescued from a neglectful owner. We don't know exactly what breed Tarquin is, but she looks similar to Sweep; just smaller. The only difference is that she is 6 months old, and un-neutered, whereas the other two have been neutered.

Ideally we wanted to try and bond the rabbits, but on the first attempt, Pumpkin picked up Tarquin in her mouth and started to shake her...so that was a little traumatic for my girlfiend. Since then we have tried several times, allow them to sniff each other through the cage, only for Pumpkin to bite Tarquin, and Tarquin to yelp or squeak. Furthermore, Sweep often attacks Pumpkin when Tarquin is in the vacinity.

Tarquin is a beautifully mannered rabbit, but we simply cannot afford the cost of running two seperate hutches as we have at the moment. Does anyone have any tips regarding bonding these rabbits? Because sadly if we don't manage it Tarquin will have to be rehomed...

We've heard that neutering her could make it work, but has anyone experienced this? I know that spaying is quite expensive

Thanks for your time,

have you tried introductions somewhere neutral where Pumpkin and Sweep have never been before? That is essential or Pumpkin will defend her territory against Tarquin the invader. Have you checked Tarquin over for wounds as they can abscess if left untreated? What Sweep is doing is called referred aggression as he can't attack Tarquin he's attacking Pumpkin instead - 3 is an awkward number with rabbits, and an already established pair can end up seperating if you're not careful - once there's been serious fighting they don't forgive and forget.

This group could work but it's going to take a long time before they can be trusted together, and possibly some hefty vet bills along the way. Also living as a 3 they will need more space - something like a 4x6 shed and run - my group of 4 have a 5x8 shed as they need a lot of boxes and a patio chair etc. - this defuses fighting at the chasing stage.

Yeah they were first introduced in the bathroom where Pumpkin & Sweep had never been before - so don't think it was a territorial thing. Tarquin doesn't have any wounds, seems to be more fur pulling thankfully.

Sadly we're not in the position to have a shed at the moment...the other two do have a large 3 storey hutch, which, like you say, helps when they chase because they can end up on separate levels.

Not looking good, which is a shame because my girlfriend would be over the moon if it could be done...never realised how aggressive rabbits can be until now!

well i would never attempt to bond 2 females when one is unneutured, i have a lady who boards her bunnies here when shes on hols, she had 2 females spayed and together, and one single unneutured female, and bcus they fought when she tried 2 bond them she gave up...

i said 2 her about saying and she said 'well they hate her, so i cant see it making a different'. but she got her spayed, bodned them on neutural terratory and they are fine now! x

OK so bitten the bullet - Tarquin is being spayed on Monday - anyone know how long after the op it takes to heal? I'm hearing 4-6 weeks is about right?

When I had Bella spayed last year she had a couple of days where she was quite uncomfortable, but I would say she was pretty much back to normal within a week, though obviously I kept an eye on her stomach for a few weeks to make sure the wound was OK.

In terms of hormones settling down - Bella was a very territorial feisty bunny - there was a very quick change in her behaviour, but she really settled down I would say around five weeks after. Though she's still a feisty madam who bosses her husbun Tarquin (another one :D) around.

Good luck with it.

Sadly after 2 weeks the reintroduction is eliciting the same response as before - Pumpkin tries to attack Tarquin and Sweep tries to attack Pumpkin - and if it's only Sweep and Tarquin, Tarquin stamps and runs away...

Anymore ideas? We can't keep them in two hutches so we're gonna have to rehome her I think...

Back