• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The perfect way to keep your buns cool in the summer heat

Or the cheapy version, buy some value tins of beans, peel the labels off and stick them in the freezer and voila - chew-proof cooling 'pods' ;) Because the beans are quite dense they stay frozen a bit longer I think.
When I worked at petshops, we'd mass-freeze old drinks bottles (the big ones) to go in the rabbit pens/cages and rotate them throughout the day - did have a big freezer to do so though! The buns never chewed them, they loved laying up against them to cool down.

i fill 2 litre cola bottles with water and freeze. also old tiles are great if you soak them with water - mine love lying on them. x

i have bought freeze blocks that you use for picnics. in sainsburys they are selling 2 for 69p
thats wot i was going to suggest, they are bigger and will surly last longer than the icepod things, £9 for only one is a lot of money, and they thin so dont imagine they stay cool for very long?

Do the rabbits chew the freezer blocks ?

I am worried that my bunny would freeze itself if I put something cold into the hutch - I like the idea of the tiles - do you use the very porous ones - like the teracota ones ? That would give quite a cooling effect if soaked and placed in the hutch.

I have plastic pipes and clay drainage pipes which the buns use as tunnels which I cover with wet towels. I also lay 2lts frozen bottles along side them.

Back