• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What's the catch?

KathyT

Warren Scout
I keep seeing those hexagonal wire pens advertised as rabbit runs, and they seem like a really good idea, and quite reasonable. However, I've been caught out like this before, so I wanted to ask if anyone has any experience with them - are they any good? How much space do they give your buns? And bearing in mind I'm beginning to suspect Tibbler is the reincarnation of houdini, are they escape proof?

If it's the green panels you're talking about then they and "houdini" in my opinion don't go together :lol: I had Shell's mini lop at mine and she could easily slip through the gaps as they're about 1" by 2" and I've had a "houdini" french lop x get stuck too :roll: I've had to attach chicken wire to the bottom 1ft to make them effective.

The metal ones without lids aren't escape-proof as buns can jump over them. I had to peg a blanket over mine during the day when Ben was in my room as he'd leap into my arms when I walked past when it was off, so he could have easily jumped out in the day and been without food/water til I got back

If it's the green panels you're talking about then they and "houdini" in my opinion don't go together :lol: I had Shell's mini lop at mine and she could easily slip through the gaps as they're about 1" by 2" and I've had a "houdini" french lop x get stuck too :roll: I've had to attach chicken wire to the bottom 1ft to make them effective.

If its my madam you are talking about she fits though the smallest of gaps little monkey. Bunny proofing my garden is no easy task. She has to be watched at all times because she is never happy staying put.:lol::lol:

Drat - sounds like Tibbler would be out of that in a shot! Oh well, back to the old fashioned method of building my own!

You can get some good ones, i got mine from P@H and it pins together and there are no gaps big enough for even a houdini to fit through! The gaps are about an inch apart but it has strips going the other way as well so there is no hole big enough. You also get a net to put over the top to stop them jumping out, i brought some plastic mesh from the garden centre to put over mine as i reshaped it and made it a rectangle and the net then didn't fit properly :roll:

I have one of these - six sided, you link the panels together, there are no big gaps. The one I bought has a net cover if you are going to leave it unattended.

My bunnies werent impressed by it - they had been running round the whole garden and now one of them gets the pen whilst the other gets to roam around the garden.

I am not being mean - just that one of our does is now a buck and until he is done we have to keep them apart.

I have one of these - six sided, you link the panels together, there are no big gaps. The one I bought has a net cover if you are going to leave it unattended.

My bunnies werent impressed by it - they had been running round the whole garden and now one of them gets the pen whilst the other gets to roam around the garden.

I am not being mean - just that one of our does is now a buck and until he is done we have to keep them apart.

I have the same one but having to get a different way to cover it after Charlie reached up pulled the net down and got caught in it whilst I was out, he was really distressed but thankfully okay but it really scared me- it had been on all day whilst I was in with no problems so I thought it would be okay- I'm going to get a finer mesh to put over it and find a secure way of attaching it to the hutch before I leave them out in it unsupervised again- at the moment I'm using half of it to just section off the plants and benches and using the tent peg things to secure it in the gaps in the paving slabs but I still won't leave them unattended because they both try and lift it up and sometimes succeed- at least when I'm in I can see or hear it happening and stop the little monkeys from eating all the plants

Back