• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worming - again!

Mackers

Wise Old Thumper
Sorry - this is a bit long. Recently wormed all my buns (just a 9 day course of Lapizole) coz I'd seen worms in one pair's poo. However, a week later, I can see worms again.

The question is this - am I wasting my time just doing 9 days coz I think they're just reinfecting themselves again. The two girls, Pea and Pod, live in an 8x6 shed with an attached aviary style run measuring approx 25ft x 7ft, to which they have 24/7 access. It's underwired and has woodchip at one end and grass at the other. They have litter trays in the shed, which they don't use much, as they prefer to wee and poo outside straight onto the ground. I can't use litter trays outside because the run is open to the elements so the litter would blow away, attract flies, get soaked if it rained etc. They toilet in one particular area so it's relatively easy for me to shovel it all up on a regular basis, after which, I soak the ground with disinfectant.

Does anyone know how long worm eggs stay 'active' outside of the body? Could I worm them every day and they'd still reinfect themselves due to my setup?

When I next worm them, I'm thinking of pushing the boat out and using Xeno450 (hang the expense!) coz I think it will be less stressful for the buns and, let's face it, easier for me. Where a bun is infected, they suggest three treatments - the initial dose followed by another after 2 weeks plus another at 4 weeks. Found that VetUK.co.uk is the cheapest at £16.45 per 6 pipettes (this would be enough to treat both my girls once) plus P&P per order. Any thoughts from you guys?

Sue xx

Back