• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this run too small?

:wave:Do your buns have a seperate run in the day?

If they do then thats ok, otherwise i personally think its too small. I have the happy hutch combo is 6ft by 4ft with the 6ft hutch ontop plus mine go out in a 8ft x 6ft run in the day.

the run area is less than 4ft by 4ft... if you could think of a way to extend it (or ask them to make you one with a longer run) then it'd be fine...:)

well it's 10 square feet less space than the massive hh one, but it does look very nice :D Expensive though :shock: and sold out till July :roll: I've got that size run for my piggies (from the same company) - they have eaten away the wood on the inside back to the screws, so I'm not sure if a rabbit would just destroy it - I have also got a 2x5 hutch and I'd say that setup would suit one small to medium size bunny - Although it's as much area as a 2x6 double hutch the bedroom compartment and the hutch aren't really big enough for a pair in my opinion - and they would need a run out too, bit like you walk a dog for a couple of hours a day, they need a chance to run about and stretch their legs as well :)

They wouldn't have a seperate run for the day. I'm looking for something so I can just open the door in the morning and then they can have free run between the hutch and run. I want to avoid having to actually move them from one place to another every day. I'm getting 2 rabbits so it looks like it wouldn't be big enough. They won't make a bigger run as I think they just sell stuff, not actually make it. Unless I can remove mesh from the sides of 2 runs and screw them together - but that would work out expensive.

I was thining of getting a 8'x6' run from here along with a 5' hutch

http://www.mrbuns.co.uk/hutches.htm

But although the runs look nice the 5' hutch looks like plywood.

So then I thought well I can get the run, but find a different hutch. But then I have to be careful of the overall hutch height to fit in the run. That nice looking hutch from my first link won't fit in the run. Unless I ask Mr Bun to make the run higher but then it's a non-standard size and the price starts going up.

I was looking at this hutch as well. I think from the dimensions given it should fit in the Mr Bun run.

http://ukpetsonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=453

Just worried about the quality. And not sure if the measurements are just of the hutch body or include the leg. There's no email or tel number to contact them and ask. :roll:

I can't find one I like on ebay. :) I really don't like the style of the Happy Hutch ones where they hutch is above the run.

Right, I've finally made my mind up on the set up. :D

I'm going to get the nice hutch without the run.

http://www.bitsforpets.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_2&products_id=3308

Then I'm going to get a 5ft x 6ft run made to attach to the front of the hutch. That way I won't lose any run space by having the hutch inside it. I'll have to block off the bottom of the hutch (between the legs) but it looks like that would be quite easy to do with a plank of wood or something.

Do you think I'd have to actually screw the run to the hutch or would it be ok just pushed up together?

Thanks.

Last edited:
the runs from mr buns are nice and big but it looks like they are just made from chicken wire - a rabbit can bite through that and a dog/fox would have no problems, so you'd best email him and ask about the wire I think.

you need a hutch 2' deep - the one from ukpetsupplies is only 16" internally, which is just tiny - less floor area than a 2x4 hutch, and a bedroom too small to be any use as a result.

If you want a hutch run on one level happy hutch do them in 2x6 for less than £150 - 30 square feet of space http://www.happyhutch.com/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=222&categoryID=6

i think mine is mollys mansion, its a hutch on top wiv run underneath, and to the side, u can almost stand up in the run... i had to addapt it inside tho cos u cant get to bun if she in sleeping conpartment, so i didnt put partition in, i cut it and made a shelf out of it, so bun can hop up to it for extra room to lyin, and i have a cat box wivout the door for her to hav her babies in.. also there are two mesh windows, which will b drafty in winter so i used extra bits of partition to make wooden covers for the windows, and privicy for her to hav kits....and put perspex on the big door mesh... which i can remove and put on at nite... or rain will surly get in...during day tho run door is open so she can axcess her 15ft by 15 ft garden....just for her.. well and kits when they bigger....

I have the happy hutch combo, altho the run is 6ft by 4ft i would never leave them in that the whole time, i think its boring for them. My run is 8ft by 6ft which i can move round.

I personally think 5ft by 6ft run to be in the whole time isnt very big for 2 buns, but then thats my personal opinion.

i agree, it sounds big but when u see them hopping about they must get bored. i kept tilly in hers tho for the last four days of her pregnancy, cos i didnt want her to hav them early down her hole she dug in her garden, but she was not a happy bunny, and couldnt wait to come out again after they were born.

Back