• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rear Guard

LaLa

Alpha Buck
:wave:

Just a quick question if someone can answer please.

I have just bought rear guard from the vet for my bunny £30!!!

Can anyone advise how I apply? it says to put down the rabbits back, tail and underneath hind legs etc but do I actually put it on her private areas? I was just thinking this is obviously where the flies would lay their eggs but thought this may be to much of a sensitive area to cover with rear guard?

Hello I used to put rearguard on Sooty. Yes you apply all underneath so under tale the privates and all that area. You need to make sure you use the whole thing. Its usually best to lay your rabbit on its back on your lap.

Thanks

Honey is five months and my first house bunny and someone recommended I use rear guard just to be on the safe side.

I didn't want to put it on her sensitive bits in case I shouldn't.

So much to learn, do you think it's worthwhile using rear guard?

:)

:wave:

I have just bought rear guard from the vet for my bunny £30!!!

:shock::shock::shock::shock:

I bought some last year and I think it was about 15 for one.

I tend to use a rubber glove and squeeze the sponge into that and rub it into their fur. Start with their under carriage :shock: which they don't like so I get that out of the way. I do ensure their privates are done too as this is where they are likely to lay any eggs and then tail and I think it says one third up their back on the package.

Good luck! I must get some to do mine this week.

:shock::shock::shock::shock:

I bought some last year and I think it was about 15 for one.

I tend to use a rubber glove and squeeze the sponge into that and rub it into their fur. Start with their under carriage :shock: which they don't like so I get that out of the way. I do ensure their privates are done too as this is where they are likely to lay any eggs and then tail and I think it says one third up their back on the package.

Good luck! I must get some to do mine this week.

Thanks for that, I just went for it a min ago and have now read your post!!

I got some of it on her underneath and her back but she is quite stressed now and think she has had enough for one night. I know it says on the pack to use it all in one go but do you think it will be ok to try again in the next couple of days with whats left?? using the rubber glove idea you have suggested.

I know my vets have ripped me off as I have now seen rear guard advertised on the web for £15, oh well lesson learned for next year! :roll::roll:

I just bought 7 things of Rearguard from my vets for £104. Too late at night but I think that works out at about £15 each???

Thanks for that, I just went for it a min ago and have now read your post!!

I got some of it on her underneath and her back but she is quite stressed now and think she has had enough for one night. I know it says on the pack to use it all in one go but do you think it will be ok to try again in the next couple of days with whats left?? using the rubber glove idea you have suggested.

I know my vets have ripped me off as I have now seen rear guard advertised on the web for £15, oh well lesson learned for next year! :roll::roll:

I think it should be OK if you finish it off tonight. The rubber glove method makes sure you don't get lots of fur stuck to the dabber thingy and you can rub it in better. Just put it into your palm and put it under their tum then lie them on their back like a baby to make sure you have it all covered.

You should query the price with your vet and ring round some others next time you buy. Please note it needs doing every 8-10 weeks (not once a year) if you are going to use it.

I think it should be OK if you finish it off tonight. The rubber glove method makes sure you don't get lots of fur stuck to the dabber thingy and you can rub it in better. Just put it into your palm and put it under their tum then lie them on their back like a baby to make sure you have it all covered.

You should query the price with your vet and ring round some others next time you buy. Please note it needs doing every 8-10 weeks (not once a year) if you are going to use it.

Ok I will attempt again at the weekend unfortunately my boyf seems to be able to turn her on her back better than me. I'm useless!

I will ask why it was so expensive next time I go back to the vets.

I was also advised that they with indoor bunnies they only need to be covered over the summer months?

Back