• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

hay/veg only diet anyone?

pepsiandcokey

Young Bun
Was wondering how many of you feed just veg and hay with minimal pellets?

my 2 1 yr olds have full run of the house all day, and get a pile of good veg in the morning - eg spinach (teeny bit of kale sometimes) broccolli, basil, bit of celery and a table spoon of fruit ( raspberry/strawberry/apple)

they constantly eat fresh baled hay all day long and i have been giving them a few pellets on a night time, say half a mug full between the 2 of them

neither are thin - ones getting a little porky, the black one pepsi, although i have to say she has had this type of diet since she was 12 wks and <fingers crossed> never had a problem.just wanted to know about other peoples feeding rules.
does this sound sensible?should i be feeding more pellets then i do?

Hi,

I feed my three similarly to you too, they get hay in the morning, veg in the afternoon with a hay top-up if it needs it and then they get pellets in treat balls, and a hay top-up before bed if they need it.

Pellets are really the bunny version of cake, they can have some every day but too much makes them tubby! Hay should always be the largest part of their diet and they should have access to it at all times, in the wild they'd eat grass all day, with the odd flower or fallen apple/dug up carrot etc so it's not "unnatural" to feed them few pellets.

Mine gets the same as yours- veg in the morning plenty of hay all day and then 1 tablespoon of pellets at bed time. Although if i feel guilty eg after i've taken him for an injection i'll give him a few pellets after!

:wave: my little 'un hardly has any pellets, some days he gets none at all. He's mainly a hay and herb man with fruit only allowed on a sunday. i stick to low calcium and non- gas-forming veg and herbs and he loves it. nomnomnom.

I'd say deej gets about 2 desert spoons of pellets a day, luckily he loves hay & veg so the pellets are more of a treat I guess! It does take some getting used to cutting down how many you give though!

hey lauralou..love the new siggy:lol:
what herbs less gassy stuff duz the main man have?
ive tried so many things but bifs guts will never be ok..not even when i put her on a hay n water diet for a week and a half:(

best diet for buns..unless they get dodgy tums from greens....willows fine..bandit too but bertie gets the odd gut probs sice we got flooded end of 2006 and bifs stress tum is a continous losing battle:(

willows a massive frenchie..bandits a weeny lionhead and he can match her with a pile of greens and hay with no side effects:shock:
hes bun hubby to bif tho..bertie our smaller frenchies bun hubby to willow...so both ways i have to monitor closely..

hey lauralou..love the new siggy:lol:
what herbs less gassy stuff duz the main man have?
ive tried so many things but bifs guts will never be ok..not even when i put her on a hay n water diet for a week and a half:(

best diet for buns..unless they get dodgy tums from greens....willows fine..bandit too but bertie gets the odd gut probs sice we got flooded end of 2006 and bifs stress tum is a continous losing battle:(

willows a massive frenchie..bandits a weeny lionhead and he can match her with a pile of greens and hay with no side effects:shock:
hes bun hubby to bif tho..bertie our smaller frenchies bun hubby to willow...so both ways i have to monitor closely..

:wave: thanks!

parsley is a high calcium herb, low ones are coriander, thyme, basil, lemon thyme, mint... i stay away from cabbage, brocolli, things that ferment and give buns gas. i give things red/yellow/orange pepper.... i can't think of what veg he has! herbs are his fave so i mainly stick to them!

B has enough pellets to cover bottom of bowl which do be honest she doesn't eat straight away so i put the rest into her treat ball.She has a handful of fresh hay in morning and evening and from 6-11at night she has as much veg as she will eat[mainly spring greens].My last bun was on this diet and she weighed 15lbs and never had any problems with her teeth.Hay is what B eats the most of-its the first thing she turned to when she was poorly.

I only feed about 20 pellets a day, a couple of big handful of mixed veg and herbs, and the rest is just hay, hay, hay. they seem to do well on it :)

Hi Everyone, may i please ask a query, i am hoping someone will have the answers or enlightment on this subject.
What is better for the bunny, rabbit pellets or the rabbit mix?
I have been advised by my vet to only give rabbit pellett food, but i have 3 rabbits. Sooty will eat everything, i don't think he tastes what he eats..LOL!
Blueberry just won't eat the rabbit pelletts but she will eat the mix food, and Smokey will only eat the pellets if they are mixed with the rabbit mix.
How much veg is too much or not enough???
They love carrotts (but i don't give too often as sugar has been found in carrotts), they love Broccoli, i didn't know this made gases, thank goodness it is only treat. Peppers, green and red, cabbage and loves pear. They only get small amounts of each, any other ideas?
Thanks
Brooksey:shock:

Hi Everyone, may i please ask a query, i am hoping someone will have the answers or enlightment on this subject.
What is better for the bunny, rabbit pellets or the rabbit mix?
I have been advised by my vet to only give rabbit pellett food, but i have 3 rabbits. Sooty will eat everything, i don't think he tastes what he eats..LOL!
Blueberry just won't eat the rabbit pelletts but she will eat the mix food, and Smokey will only eat the pellets if they are mixed with the rabbit mix.
How much veg is too much or not enough???
They love carrotts (but i don't give too often as sugar has been found in carrotts), they love Broccoli, i didn't know this made gases, thank goodness it is only treat. Peppers, green and red, cabbage and loves pear. They only get small amounts of each, any other ideas?
Thanks
Brooksey:shock:

If the bunny is eating all of the mix then that's as good as an extruded pellet, the only times pellets are preferable is when bunny is picky & only eats some of the mix.

Back