• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

looking after pairs

clutterydrawer

Wise Old Thumper
How do you keep close eye on the health of a rabbit who is part of a group or bonded pair?

for example: If you notice less food/hay has been eaten than normal, or that there are less poops, how can you tell which one has the problem?

I have always had the questionable talent of being able to tell my buns poops apart and I make time to watch them start eating both meals so that I pick up on anorexia or potential teeth problems early (though mine are very good at hiding their dental issue's).

I have two pairs;

Lopsy & Bo
Tigger & Lindt

Lopsy's poops are much larger than Bo's lol!! So that bit is easy.
They both eat but Lopsy generally finishes it off lol

Hum good question about Tigger & Lindt though...

All get daily checks too. so Humm got me thinking now!

x

I got the pairs down - if there was a problem with one, I'd spot it through poos & eating. But I would struggle with the group. I rely heavily on reactions at feeding time. If they hang back/stay huddled in litter tray etc, there's something wrong.

I have no idea with my group of 4 - just keep hoping for the best :roll: When they've had stasis it's been obvious, but if they'd not been in a group I would have picked up on it before they got to the 'lying in a corner dying of bellyache stage' because their poops get smaller and less of for days before they get to that stage. I also have no idea if they are all drinking enough, and I have a feeling Primrose is a hog and Victoria is a slow eater - one is fat the other is thin, so when I cut back food to slim Primrose down, Victoria is ravenous :?

Mine have seperate bowls and i spend alot of time with them, i see if they are pooing ect in the run :)

I watch mine eat for a while and if one shows a lack of interest I panic lol. Mine go mad for pellets, grass and fresh hay so its quite easy to spot one not eating. Poos however I cant really tell whos done what:?.

I used to watch mu bunnies when i first had them, ive now got to the stage where i know whos poops whos!!!! strange i know but just what ya learn as a bunny mummy :D

alivn and pearl have different poops.... and if alvin is on hunger strike i will sit on the floor in thier room and watch for nibbling/weein/drinkin/poopin

mine have different poos but i htink it is due to thier difference in taste in grass adn leaves that they both like so it gives a diff size and colour poop(also snowy is a lot smaller so her poos smaller)

I have always had the questionable talent of being able to tell my buns poops apart and I make time to watch them start eating both meals so that I pick up on anorexia or potential teeth problems early (though mine are very good at hiding their dental issue's).

it's a good thing you've already got an OH, you wouldn't be picking many guys up with lines like that ;)

thanks for all your replies, I hope to have pairs again asap but am paranoid about overlooking symptoms because of the presence of another rabbit. sorrel is very skilled at hiding the fact that she has spurs and i have trouble noticing them even though shes on her own.

Back