• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

checking for fly strike

flare

Young Bun
hello. as you may know, i havnt had princess for long, and we have just started bonding, and ususally se will let me stroke her, and she regularly eats from my hand.

with the hot weather, im getting quite paranoid about flystrike, and want to check her bum for any signs. its still early days, and dont want to lost her trust by picking her up. when i approach her when she's running around, she usually runs away. should i pick her up and check her bum anyway? or leave her be?:?

Personally i would check her bum anyway because if she gets it there's no turning back.
If she is due for jabs let the vet do it and give you some advice.
I would... sit down in her run or wherever she is and carefully and stress free pick her up when she comes to you. Then pop her on her back, holding her firm to your chest, gently stroke her for a few minutes and then have a quick peek at her booty, then continue to stroke her and then let her go with a little treat at the end of if.
Look for poo attached to her bum, and if there is any pick it off.

Afraid I've got no advice - I'm getting paranoid about flies at the moment too and trying to find stuff to stop them getting to my buns.

My feisty bunny Bella has let me do a bum check tonight for the first time and I was surprised how easy it was with a rabbit who normally kicks, bites and scratches when picked up. I just picked her up, rolled her so I could see, and she even let me touch her to stroke the fur round the area so I could look properly - not easy with a black bunny :lol:

Someone suggested a few days ago using a mirror to look without having to disturb the bunny too much - maybe you could try this until Princess has got a bit more used to being handled.

Perhaps you could use some rearguard or flyguard on her so that for these first days of having her it would be less of a worry? I'm going to try and get something tomorrow that I can use on the bunnies - I'm still going to try and get Bella in particular used to regular bum checks - Tarquin isn't such a problem as he's much more gentle - but at least you would know the risk was minimised until you feel she's ready for a more thorough check?

Sorry - not been much help.

Hey

I would also clean out litter trays daily even if they don't look that dirty to avoid flies laying their eggs in there.

Lian x

Back