• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what are possible causes of death in fit bun?

sdf76

Mama Doe
Can anyone tell me what are the possible causes of death in an apparently perfectly healthy young(3yr old) male (fully vaccinated)(unspeyed) rabbit?

He had not been speyed at all, nor had his vaccinations near to the time of his death so it can't be that. He was eating and pooing normally and had no changes in diet. He was part outdoor/part indoor bunny. He was watched when not in the hutch. He seemed perfectly well a few minutes before seeing him dead on the grass. My friend is so shocked and on phoning the vet he had no explanation without PM. Friend decided against PM as so distressed. She is an excellent bunny mum and he was well cared for. A lively bun with a glossy coat.

All I could think of was heart attack as he had no symptoms of anything beforehand and was regularly checked and stroked so she would have noticed. She had been watching him in the garden and she put him in the run while she went into the house to sort some washing. A short while later he was laid (definitely)dead on the grass. It seems unlikely there could have been a fox scare him in daylight and he was a robust chap anyway, (he would chase her cat when indoors).

She is absolutely baffled as he didn't seem sick or anything.

Does anyone have any ideas what could have happened?-Sue

Thanks Sooz- mm I didn't think of seizure though seems rabbit rarely dies first event.
It would probably have benefitted other buns to have a PM to find out the cause,but she was too distressed and wouldn't consider it. I have minded the bun in previous years when she'd been on hols and he was very robust and seemed a picture of health. Such a shock. Awful not knowing, really, but they are exotics. As I said to her, even athletes can suddenly die of heart attack...
thanks for posting
-Sue

Two of my rabbit's died very suddenly from suspected heart failure, one when I was not about but the other in my arms. Cassius did not 'fit' as such but he did suffer spasm's as he passed....these were not the cause of death however but a side effect.

Back