• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spay Complications

Mad Bunster

Mama Doe
I need some help for a bun at a rescue I help out at. He was sent for neutering 10 days ago and ended up having a spay instead (isn't that the way?) When the vet opened her up they found she'd already been done and that part of her intestine was sewn into the old wound - meaning that when they opened her up this time, they've nicked her intestinal wall I think. The bun is eating a little but her poos are tiny and dark. The question is, Is this to be expected after a problem with her guts.

Does she need any other sort of help or will she just need time to recover? She is off to the vets today for a check up but I'd like to get some info to take with me next time I go.

Thanks guys

grief poor little bunny - I can't imagine how she'd survive such a thing but I hope she does - the fact that she's eating and pooing at all is a miracle :shock: Just keep encouraging her with tasty dandelions etc and make sure she has plenty of fluids and painkillers - the vet can give her both if you ask him to.

Why would the rescue send a 'boy' with no testicles to be neutered anyway?

Why would the rescue send a 'boy' with no testicles to be neutered anyway?

I know - shocking isn't it. They thought 'he' was neutered anyway?? :?

I gave her a bowl of water in addition to her bottle to encourage her to drink more fluids, so I do hope that as shes come this far, she'll be ok. Fingers crosses for her - shes a real character.

I suspect that what happened after the first spay is that adhesions formed. Unfortunately this is very common with Rabbit abdominal surgery. It is likely the second op' will cause further adhesions so it is probably a case of 'wait and see' as to whether the adhesions cause a problem longterm.

Poor Bun :cry:

Janex

Thanks everyone. Is there anything that we can do for her - or is it just a case of high fibre diet to keep digestive tract working as usual?

Back