• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

mating question please help

gizzywizz

New Kit
hi there,i was hoping for some help,i have had both my rabbits for about 3 years now and dont know whether they are boys or girls so i let them run round the room together and i saw my english rabbit jump on top of my dwarf rabbit trying to mate it,does that mean that my english rabbit is a male?and also my dwarf rabbit used to pull her fur out to nest and my english rabbit didnt.but surley if my english rabbit was female then it wouldn't jump on top of another rabbit would it?im confused please help.

Rabbits will mount as a show of dominance so they're not necessarily a male and a female (or even if they were, a female may mount a male to express her dominance)
However, I would definately keep them apart until you can get them to a vet or someone else confident in sexing them, and only put them together if they're not male/female unless you get them neutered/spayed. There are lots of homeless rabbits in rescues without contributing to the problem by breeding irresponsibly. Spaying and neutering come with healthy and behavioural benefits too, and if there is a chance that you've got a male and female, you'd probably want the female spayed asap to prevent having to deal with a litter. Especially if the English bun is the male, as a female can have birthing difficulties if mated to a larger male (as the babies can grow too large for a small breed bunny to give birth to safely)

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/breedingrabbits.asp
may be worth reading

Back