• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help Please!!!!

Justine

Mama Doe
Flip is bleeding because I accidently cut her claw too far down!! It is pouring with blood and it won't stop. I've tried loading it with corn flour but it won't stop.

What should I do???? Help

Oh no! Um.. Try holding a cotton swab in it? It should stop bleeding in a little while.. I don't really know what to say, this has never happened to me. I hope you get a decent reply! *hugs to you and flip*

We put pressure on it for about 10 minutes and by this time, it was getting quite dark. It looked like it had stopped, she went into the playhouse and I was watching while she licked at it. Then I saw it's still bleeding, not as much but bleeding. I'm going to go out in a little while and check on her. If it's still bleeding, I'm gonna have to bring her inside.

Thank you Katie and Jane. :wave:

I just checked on Flip and it looks like it has stopped bleeding. It's not really easy to see in torch light but it looks ok.

That scared me so much. It was pouring out so fast.

Is it possible for a bun to lose too much blood from a bleeding claw, enough to get ill?

hi
i went through this with fudge about a fortnight ago-he moved at the wrong time and we took his nail too far down...there seemed to be blood everywhere! i cuddled him and applied pressure then smothered the nail in vaseline to create a seal...he then spent a good 40mins sulking about it! all seems fine now but dont be surprised if bunny looks a little miffed when running about as fudge seemed to avoid pressure for a little bit on that 'toe'...well if you think how painful it is when we catch a nail or stub our toe and bunsters are far more sensitive

Back