• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bunny not eating - ADVICE PLEASE!!!

amyhhh

Alpha Buck
Hello all,

I hope you can advise me. Our girl bunny Honey has been refusing food - something that has never happened before. She was eating fine this morning, but we just got in now and offered her some carrot, spring greens and apple (all usually her favourite things) and she refused them all - she also hasn't drunk anything since we got in. She has just been sitting quietly on her favourite rug inside. Hector her boyfriend is fine and munching away on hay.

I'm worried it may be GI stasis, but have never seen it before. Alternatively could she have heat stoke from the hot weather today (they have plenty of cool places to go but she seems to like the sunny spots)?

She was spayed a few weeks ago but seemed completely recovered. They've also been moulting a bit recently.

I have a little fibreplex left over from her spay, and also some bio-lapis - should i try given her either of those. (i would have to syringe feed i think because i'm sure she wouldn't take it willingly). We've also got some pineapple in juice.

I don't think the vet would be able to see her until tomorrow morning.

Please please any advice really appreciated, i'm really worried as i've never seen her like this before.

THanks!

I would just encourage her to run about a bit - the heat makes them lethargic, and that makes them constipated (which is what stasis is basically) then syringe her some water, about 10ml, and see how she is after an hour - she might have got too hot today, but it sounds more like stasis, and water is what will help both of those situations - good job you know how to syringe it, although see if you put a dish of water in front of her, if she'll have a drink with a bit of pineapple juice in it? Definitely get her running about though - I chase mine round the patio even if they're lying on the floor looking like they're dying - it's worked twice now with no syringing needed so it does help even though you feel mean doing it to them :)

Thank you so much Elve for your advice. I'll try and get her running a bit now. We've put some pineapple and juice infront of her but she doesn't seem too interested.

Thanks Janey for your message! I've had her running about a bit and she seems a tiny bit livelier, but she's still not eating (not sure how long i should keep chasing her for..?)
We tried getting her to drink a bit of water using a syringe but i'm not sure how much went - i don't think much (shes not easy to syringe feed as she gets all panicky).
Any other ideas?

Just to let you know, that after a bad night of refusing to eat or drink anything, finally honey started nibbling on apple and hay this morning and has left a few very tiny droppings in her litter tray - so she seems to be recovering :D. I took her to the vet just incase who had a good feel of her tummy and said she was doing well - just got to try to get her to take some fibreplex. Fingers crossed she'll soon be back to her normal self.
Big thanks for your advice and support - very appreciated, especially as i am new on here!
Amy

if the above happens again, bring her indoor for 1 to 2 days, and gives her water on a bowl, hay, and green, plus pellet (pellet should be 10% of her diet) and see what happens

awww glad she's getting better - keep making her run about and maybe ask your vet about sub cutaneous fluids by injection next time, otherwise 10ml of water an hour by syringe will help :)

when I syringe mine it's difficult too - I normally never handle them and they are a group of unspayed adult females, so not impressed by me! If chasing about for 10mins, leave an hour, doesn't work (it did for Primrose thank goodness) I have to bring her in the house, put her in a pen (always Zinniea - she must have a tendency to not drink enough or something) and then put on my full body armour :D coat or thick fleece, and a glove on my left hand.

I then kneel in the pen, drag her over and wrap a towel around her, and pop her between my thighs, clamping them onto her rear end before she gets a kick at me (nasty bruise the first time as I wasn't quick enough :rolleyes:)

Then I lift up her front end and front paws in my left hand, so she's standing up on her back feet near enough, with her back towards my chest. If you then bend forward you can see where to put the syringe - just behind their front teeth there's a gap, and slip it in sideways on, just squeeze a tiny bit with the ball of your thumb, and wait for them to swallow, so you don't choke them.

As well as 10ml water I give her 1ml of infacol (baby wind medicine), then leave it to 'brew' in her tummy for an hour and just keep repeating it till she's better. A few dandelions normally snaps them out of it when they are ready :)

Also when mine are moulting (which seems to be the start of a lot of tummy problems) I give them a bromelain tablet every other day - it's the pineapple enzyme which helps keep their gut contents moist - holland and barrett sell 40mg chewable ones :)

Honey is sooooo much better now. Chomping on carrot tops, drinking a bit and has left quite a few little droppings around the room (not in her litter tray :? but i think we can forgive her this time! ;)) They are still a bit hard and mishapen but at least they are coming! She even just made a couple of her happy bunny noises and jumped up on the sofa! :) Thanks so much again for all your advice! I think i'll keep them both in in the cool for a day or two (and meanwhile i'll rearrange their patio accommodation a bit to make it super sun and heat proof)... and i'll get them some bromelain for while they are still moulting.
Thanks again! Amy

Back