• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice on bunnys please!

gothic_mermaid

Young Bun
My h2b and I are looking at getting a house rabbit, we have fallen in love with some adorable ones but rather then rushing out and buying one, we want to research into it first

*do they poo everywere, can they be house trained
*do they chew everything?
*can they be really affectionate IE cuddley falling asleep on your lap etc
*are they noisy at night
*whats the best bedding and food for them
*are they good at being left (I work part time h2b full)
*are they good with strangers coming in and out the house?
*weres the best place to get one, as we have heard loads bad things about pets at home

and most importantly whas the best breed for an indoor rabbit!

Im sure there are more questions but that will do for now!

thanks

x

My h2b and I are looking at getting a house rabbit, we have fallen in love with some adorable ones but rather then rushing out and buying one, we want to research into it first

*are they noisy at night
*weres the best place to get one, as we have heard loads bad things about pets at home

thanks

x

They can be littler trained very eaisly, but depending on the rabbit might still leave a few poo's on the floor.
Againg it depends on the rabbit weather they chew, some do some dont. But you can bunny proof and area, or room.
As for affection, one of mine would be happy if I spent all daystroking her, and the other 2 hate being stroked.
They can be noisy for some of the night and early in the morning, though mine sleep between 11pm and 5am, give or take.
Bedding is usually cat beds, vet bed, straw, hay. Litter is usually megerzorb, newspaper, carefresh or non clumping cat litter. And food, hay and lots of it. Pellets and veg too.
They are ok to be left most of the day, its best to keep them in pairs or groups, and with lots of hay and toys they will be happy.
As for strangers, one of mine gets live an excited puppy if she gets to meet someone new (because she knows they'll give her attention) my other 2 dont like anyone.
Best place to get one or 2 is a rescue center.
I don't think there is a best breed for an indoor rabbit, really. I think it all depends on what the actual rabbit is like. Some people say that netherland dwarf's are skitty, but mine isn't. Some say dutch's are clever but mine is just naughty :lol:

hi
thanks for the advice, so its a bit like a cat its hit or miss!
We are wanting one thats going to be cuddly!! lol! my h2b loves his cuddles!
Can you reccomend any good books?
I love the look of the giant rabbits! We saw one in pets at home yesterday for £124 he was a beauty and looked so relaxed, but sorry no way am I paying that for a bunny!! lol!

xx

hi
I love the look of the giant rabbits! We saw one in pets at home yesterday for £124 he was a beauty and looked so relaxed, but sorry no way am I paying that for a bunny!! lol!

xx

Well as pets at home started selling their giant hous rabbits a fair few months ago, there's probably loads that have already been dumped in the rescue centers. So if I were you I call a few up that are near you or you could look on Rabbit rehome. Its good that you are doing the reserch before getting one though!

hi

xx

there are lots of giants in rescues apparently.

i find having a bun alot more difficult than keeping a cat, i don't know if it's because i come on here alot and here about poorly buns so i worry myself silly.

you can't be too house proud with a bunny, you'll be making amazing structures out of cardboard boxes!

bunnies seem to be so hit and miss when it comes to affection, i've been blessed with one that doesn't mind being picked up, loves cuddles and doesn't go through wires.

depends on the bunny but yes if neutered should easily be house trained, any poos just put into litter tray and they soon get the hang of it.
*do they chew everything?often rabbits will chew so you need to protect wires with tubing and some rabbits will go mad for carpet or wallpaper while others dont seem bothered in the slightest get a pair who suit your personality
again depends on the individual i have one snuggle bun paired with a skitish bun, my other pairing i have one who wont come within 2 ft of you and one who circles you for love! most rabbits wont like bieng picked up but will love being stroked...again pick a pair with a nice temperment
*are they noisy at night most are not but it depends on what toys you give them i wouldnt leave bells and rattles in at night mayeb leave tunnels and boxes instead saves noisyness
*whats the best bedding and food for them megazorb for litter trays or wood based cat litter, newspaper and hay are good bedding though some people use carpet as a base and others just have a snuggly bed in a box or vet bed depends on how tidy you want to be. they will need hay 24/7 unlimited tho so you will prob want a hay rack or hay tub.
*are they good at being left (I work part time h2b full) they are if you have a pair a single bun would probebly fret but a pair is fine tho you may find they are not as snuggly to you but they really love their own company after all you can only groom the 2 foot way another bun can lick n snuggle better!
*are they good with strangers coming in and out the house? generally again it depends on the bun...noisy people will probly scare them but someone who sits down quietly will be no problem, my buns are outdoors but have access to run in and out of house as they please snowy loves anyone and always comes to see who it is but dora will hide away so again its about personality
*weres the best place to get one, as we have heard loads bad things about pets at homego to a rescue please please please it will mean for a small donation you can have a nice pair whos temperment you know who will likely be litter trained and will be vaccinated and neutered and even possibly wormed,

and most importantly whas the best breed for an indoor rabbit!no breed is best but i would suggest not getting a rex ideally as the carpet can cause probs to thier hocks and possibly not getting a giant as they need a lot lot lot more room in saying that tho no breed is better uppy eared rabbits get less teeth problems than lops but nethies and polish also get more teeth probs in saying that my nethies have not had any problems ever and many lops have been healthy it is a lot to do with diet and lifestyle too.

thanks

x

because i have filled in between your messages to answer qs (hopefully in blue it now says message to short so have to write something here! so good luck xx

i will say though, having a bunny is soooo rewarding. i didn't think having a bunny would be half as fun or interesting as it has been so far, they can be little puppy dogs! my monster can make me smile on my darkest days!

If you get a slightly older bun who has passed pubety and is already neutered you are more likely to get an idea on its temprment.

Generally boys are more relaxed than girls when neutered, but it's really down to the bunny personality. It really depends on what breed of rabbit you're looking for to get an idea of their personality, although it's really down to the bun and how you treat it as to how it's going to react..

*are they noisy at night

thanks

x

my answers as ive found it

mine poo and wee in the litter tray but poop scatters all over the floor as they jump out. poop isnt a problem but hay everywhere is if your house proud... i vaccuumed today and pearl has dug all the hay out of the litter tray so it looks like i havent :roll::lol::lol:

the table legs have been chewed slightly, but its the wallpaper that has really suffered

not got lap buns, pearl will allow me to fuss her on the floor, alvin doesnt tolerate any sort of fuss unless its a quick hello in the morning

*are they noisy at night
probably but mine sleep downstairs where they cant keep me up with cage pinging

pellets is the best food, i dont have bedding as they are house rabbits

as long as they have a pal they dont seem to miss the humans of the house :(

mine just stay hidden under the sofa

a rescue would be your best bet, they could match you with the perfect pair for what you want and they come ready neautured :D
i got alvin as a baby and he was a nightmare as a teen... much prefer them grown up

dont know that one yet, i have a lop and a satin and they are both thriving in the indoor life :)

i hav found french lops, which are big buns, anr more cuddly than little ones, and also think that neautered males are more friendly, but thats just my experience... good luck, ps i have had a couple of house buns .. but i must admit i did tire of the extra work involven, and mess, so ended up letting them be garden buns... which i think mine were much happier. tho prob because i couldnt cope with the hassel of a house bun.

Again mine poo and wee in the litter tray but occasionally they will leave me a little trail of poo when they are hopping about the house. But to be honest, I just make sure I've a dustpan & brush to hand to sweep up after my little darlings. They are easier to little train once they have been neutered.

My table legs have been chewed slightly & some of the wallpaper, but to be honest now they've got lots of toys & things to occupy them, they seem to chew less. I think also having a partner keeps their minds off chewing everything in sight!

About half of my buns are really affectionate & love being cuddled, the other half don't & prefer the company of their partners. 3 of my buns, will jump up on the settee with me for a cuddle & sleep when I'm watching tv at night - which is really sweet.

*are they noisy at night
Some of mine are - most sleep downstairs in various pens & a couple upstairs. Some of the ones downstairs think its great to throw their toys & dishes round the kitchen at 3am in the morning!!

I find excel pellets best dry food for mine, along with lots of fresh veg & an abundance of hay. I put newspaper & then a good layer of hay in their litter trays & then they have washable mats for sleeping on inside their cage bottoms. Their cages open into pens to give them more room, when they are not able to be freerange or in the garden.

I would agree as long as they have a pal they dont seem to miss the humans of the house

Some of mine love company of strangers, some them hate them! If we have company I tend to either set mine up in their pens upstairs if the weather's bad or put them outside in their hutches & pens if the weather's good.

I would highly recommend a rescue centre, they can tell you the history of the bunny & help you judge if they would be suitable for you. If I was advising someone at the rescue centre I volunteer at, I would say go for an adult bunny, as opposed to babies - make sure their neutered & ask for a bonded pair if you want 2 or for help with bonding 2. Baby buns are gorgeous & really cute, but you would have to go through the 'teenage from hell' period as they hit puberty - which in some buns can be quite challenging if they're indoor buns!

I don't think anyone breed is best for being a housebun - my 10 are complete mixed bunch & all of them seem to suit the indoor life, as long as they also get plenty of time outside too.

I might as well join in with my own experience I guess :)

*do they poo everywere, can they be house trained - most can be fully housetrained; some do have occasional "accidents" and some just refue it altogether. all mine housetrained themselves :)

*do they chew everything? yes. although again, it does depend ont he bunny, some a worse chewers than others. if there's anything you relaly don't want chewed keep it high up or in a room the bunny isn't allowed in. bunnies will also make a feast of wallpaper, carpets and skirting boards.

*can they be really affectionate IE cuddley falling asleep on your lap etc depends. don't count on it as a lot of bunnies prefer to do their own thing and arent really up for human snuggles - however these can be just as rewarding as the cuddlier rabbits.

*are they noisy at night not particularly. i have mine in my bedroom and she does sometimes wake me up by bar chewing and racing up and down.

*whats the best bedding and food for them Diet should be mainly hay, with a small amount of pellets (_not_ the rabbit mix stuff with all the different bits in) and a variety of fresh vegetables. (check which ones are suitable first!) Rabbtis diet can be quite complex though so have a read up on the topic.
*are they good at being left (I work part time h2b full) You shoudl get a pair really; they are very sociable animals - consider the huge, complex groups wild rabbits live in - and may get depressed when alone.
*are they good with strangers coming in and out the house? my hosue rabbit loves to greet new people. :) i suspect thats cos she thinks they might have treats thoguh.
*weres the best place to get one, as we have heard loads bad things about pets at home I would recommend getting one from a rescue centre - you get more information on its background, temperament and potential health problems, and it will already be neutered/spayed. also you get a warm fuzzy feeling from giving a home to one of the 33,000 rabbtis currently in rescuie in the UK. ;)

and most importantly whas the best breed for an indoor rabbit! dont think breed matters really....get one thats a suitable size for the living wuarters you have for it, and only get a long haired one if youre 100% dedicated to grooming it daily.

i rescued a house bun in feb.... i wasnt going to have any more buns, and stuck to that for 5 yrs, but my 19yr old son died, and i was caught at a weak time so i took tilly on... i kept her as a house rabbit for 4mts.. but hav decided i cant really cope with effort and few pellets that escape in lounge, or the trying to get her bk in cage at bed time... it just wasnt for me, so now she has huge hutch, run, wiv her own garden for daytime, and 4 week old babies to keep her company now we are not giving her quite as much attention. i failed, but i know other people love it... i think she is much happier now wiv her new life in garden and shes being a fantastic mum....

Back