• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding problems week after living together

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
I've just put my two rabbits in the run that they were first put together in last saturday. They were in it for 3-4 days then I put them into the shed where they seem to have been living ok although yesterday I noticed a scab on Spudseys head (who is the wild bun). Couldn't see any other sign of a fight or anything nor was any fur lying around. When scared she was going to Squirrel for comfort and they seemed to be ok.

However today because the shed is obviously heating up I have put them both back in the run on the grass. There is an awful lot of chasing going on from squirrel and fur pulling and Spudsey is squeezing herself inbetween a hideaway box and the run so much so she can hardly move!

They eventually settled down in the run, and Squirrel was grooming Spudsey so does this mean they are friends? Can one rabbit get away with grooming the other if the other doesn't like him!? Now put them back in the shed. o/h is going to make the hutch/run for them tomorrow. Hutch was Squirrels so have cleaned it all out and disinfected it and its going to be painted inside as well. Do you think this would be ok?

Also when can I start putting their own litter trays back in? They both used to use one, Spudsey more so believe it or not (wild bunny) but the new one I put in for them seems to be getting used as a 'bed' by Squirrel! I also want to put in a log that Spudsey used to have but hardly used hoping that Squirrel might gnaw it instead of everything else....

I've only bonded once, but didn't want to just read without posting. I think it sounds ok - is Spudsey's head alright - that's the only worrying thing - as you say...
Sorry can't be of more help - hopefully someone else will post soon:wave:

I've only bonded once, but didn't want to just read without posting. I think it sounds ok - is Spudsey's head alright - that's the only worrying thing - as you say...
Sorry can't be of more help - hopefully someone else will post soon:wave:

Hi :wave:

Thanks for posting. My first time of bonding! Spudseys head seems ok, I couldn't see anything wrong with her nose until I stroked it and felt that there was something there. Thought it was just matted at first then realised it was a scab.

That's normal, the run is 'newish' territory so a bit of chasing just to double check who is boss is quite common - particularly as they are quite newly bonded. I don't see any problem with adding extra litter trays or a chew log :)

Tam

That's normal, the run is 'newish' territory so a bit of chasing just to double check who is boss is quite common - particularly as they are quite newly bonded. I don't see any problem with adding extra litter trays or a chew log :)

Tam

Thanks Tam, do you think they'll be ok when I move them in to Squirrels hutch in a few days time? Really didn't want to move them again but they started to wreck my bedroom carpet and we weren't getting much sleep as they were making so much noise. Infact we actually moved out into our spare room! which doesn't have a bed.....:shock:

The things you do for bunnies :lol:

Yep, there is likely to be a bit of chasing/mounting etc. again but hopefully it will die down quickly. Even pairs that have been together years will do the same thing when they move house.

Tam

The things you do for bunnies :lol:

Yep, there is likely to be a bit of chasing/mounting etc. again but hopefully it will die down quickly. Even pairs that have been together years will do the same thing when they move house.

Tam

phew thats ok then! thanks again, will let you know how things are in a few days time. Hows your wild one?

He's been meeting my bonded pair, I'm not sure which way it will go yet though. The girl is pretty much ignoring him but Alfie isn't as keen.

I'm in the same boat - he really needs to go outside (and stop eating the house) but I'll miss having him around :(

He's been meeting my bonded pair, I'm not sure which way it will go yet though. The girl is pretty much ignoring him but Alfie isn't as keen.

I'm in the same boat - he really needs to go outside (and stop eating the house) but I'll miss having him around :(

yes yours has probably been in the house about a year as well? you get used to having them and them being part of your routine don't you!? If I had a big house I would have given Spuds her own room! :lol:

Back