• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feeding your rabbit.

~ Cat ~

Wise Old Thumper
Hi folks - sorry to be a bit of a pain in the bum! :rolleyes:

Most rabbits I have known have had their food left in the cage all day with them. Even when I worked at RSPCA they were given food in the morning and this was left there until the next morning.

Am I right in thinking that I should feed Lola in the morning (2 egg cups of pellets) - then take this away after she has eaten - and then feed her again in the evening?

I dont want her to be a constant grazer and get plump but I also dont want her tummy to be rumbling during the day.

Any help would be great!

Hay is the most important part of a bunny's diet, so if pellets or mix are left down all day, they may eat that rather than hay. It's better to encourage them to eat mainly hay, and just have a small amount of pellets.

My bigger bunny Bella gets 20g of Science Selective a day, and Tarquin who is a nethie gets 10g a day. These are divided up so that they get a small amount in the morning, they then get the most in the evening (Bell is very greedy and eats very quickly so would eat hers and then pinch T's so I supervise their evening pellets so I can make sure he gets his share). Then they get four pellets each at bedtime as a treat.

They both have fresh hay in the morning and at night, and eat loads of it, but I'm fairly sure if they had a bowl of pellets down all the time they would eat that first instead.

Grazing all day is what a bunny needs to do and SHOULD do ... but on HAY and not pellets. Once ours have had their allowance of pellets at "breakfast" then all they have all day is hay, hay and more hay until their greens in the evening. You're doing the right thing - limit the pellets and make sure there's LOTS of fresh hay available at all times. :D

Thank you!

She has her hay - I can hear her munching now - so will give her the pellets morning and night and let her have the hay during the day.

Back