• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

are these good signs? and further suggestions needed please!!!

dashylove3189

Young Bun
Okay so here's my dilemma. I have two spayed female rabbits that I need to bond. We bought Dash when she was a baby and the owner told us she was a boy, so then we bought Nilla as a baby for a girlfriend for dash and kept them in separate areas until they were fixed. Lo and behold when we brought Dash to the vet he was really a she...uh oh! Well we have tried bonding them before but anytime they got into even just a little scuffle we would freak out and separate them (more like....my o/h would freak out and separate them haha) So recently we have put chicken wire between them so they could get used to each other's smells and such without being able to really hurt one another. Well they fought a bit through the wire, but after a while they would just touch noses and hop off and play with their toys and come back to check each other out a couple minutes later. Nilla has put her head down for dash to groom but every time she does this Dash will ignore her. Also sometimes it looks like Dash is trying to groom Nilla through the wire when Nilla isn't looking but once she feels Dash touching her she jumps like she is startled and turns around really fast and gets in that like fighting stance (I don't know how else to describe it). But they have laid next to each other through the wire, and they have definitely stopped fighting (knock on wood haha). So I'm thinking I should keep them with the wire between them for a week or so and then try putting them in neutral territory, but what do you all think? From what I've told you, do you think their actions show that there is hope and they might get along!!!??? Haha I'm desperate but it's so difficult to keep them separated all the time! Also what are some normal things for rabbits to do when bonding? Should I expect biting or chasing or hair pulling...or should I separate them once I see that, basically tell me what I should look out for that's not normal bonding behavior. I've never bonded rabbits before so this is very stressful and scary!

Back