• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wild Kit?

Raiju

New Kit
My cat brought in two baby rabbits this morning. One was dead when I woke up, but the other managed to hide behind the refrigerator. It seems unharmed other than frightened.

I managed to catch it without hurting it and put it in a box in a quiet room with some water, but now I don't know what to do with it. Can I safely release it? Will it find its way home? If not, how can I tell if it's old enough for solid food or if I need to buy formula?

I'd suggest seing if you can find a local wildlife sanctuary to take it and put it through a release program. Without seeing it it's hard to say if it's old enough to be about on it's own. I doubt it would find it's way back. If it's hopping about it will be eating at least part solids so cut it some grass to munch on during the night.

I am in the same situation right now only I have FIVE!:shock: they are getting along nicely the way to tell if they are old enough is look at their foreheads if they have a white stripe then they still need milk if they do follow Tamsin's advice and find a rehaber but if they don't release them to the safest place you can find if you need anymore advice pm me

:wave:I have had wild bunnies before that need to be re-released. I suggest contacting your local wildlife place too and they can help and see if it old enough to be released. My local one told me to find a warren, rub the baby with some grass and mud to try and remove the human/strange smells and then put the baby down a hole as far as your arm will go and release it - if you just put it in a bush it will just sit there until it gets eaten. They said that adult rabbits tend to ignore babies so it doesn't matter if it isn't its right warren - he did say this is a totally different case with adults and you should never do with with a grown up one as they will get attacked. Oh he also said it was best to do it early morning or evening when the rabbits are out and about and busy doing things.

I had one bought to me last week that someone had found her cats playing with.
It had a puncture wound on its tummy and ears, and the tops of both its feet had been chewed exposing the tendon:cry: It was clearly in shock and was quite flat.
I rushed it over to Lou who did all that she possibly could, and initially it appeared to brighten up. She even found it a nice foster mummy for it to cuddle up to, but sadly it died early the next morning.:cry:

At least it was cared for and had another wam body to snuggle to at the end.

I hope yours makes it OK. I think I'd try the wildlife rescue route initially as they know what they're doing

Back