• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jessica's got sore hocks.

halfpenny

Wise Old Thumper
Jessica is my angora lop and is 5 (I think) and she's never had this problem before. She was speyed a couple of months ago and has been moulting really badly since, she looks a right mess. Last month she was bonded with Snowey and Jess and it has been a very successful bonding, I mainly chose to put the 3 together because they all use the same type of bedding and they were all quite laid back, I use medibed for the long haired bunnies, it is basically short chopped straw, which is dust extracted. They have all been on this for a couple of years now and there has been no problem.
However, I noticed tonight a couple of raw bits had appeared on Jessica's hocks, the other 2 are fine, is it common for newly speyed rabbits to moult like this and I was planning to use aloe vera on her, is this OK.

yes aloe vera should be fine I use shriners (you probly don't have it in the UK) and vazaline also give her an extra spot to sit on like wood or a blanket and that should fix her up

Jessica is my angora lop and is 5 (I think) and she's never had this problem before. She was speyed a couple of months ago and has been moulting really badly since, she looks a right mess. Last month she was bonded with Snowey and Jess and it has been a very successful bonding, I mainly chose to put the 3 together because they all use the same type of bedding and they were all quite laid back, I use medibed for the long haired bunnies, it is basically short chopped straw, which is dust extracted. They have all been on this for a couple of years now and there has been no problem.
However, I noticed tonight a couple of raw bits had appeared on Jessica's hocks, the other 2 are fine, is it common for newly speyed rabbits to moult like this and I was planning to use aloe vera on her, is this OK.

As this is a new problem I would be concerned that she is being less mobile than usual thus taking pressure on the same part of her hocks for prolonged periods.
Immobility may be due to pain ( arthritis) or because she is an 'outsider' in the group. Whilst treating the sore hocks with Aloe Vera is fine it is also important to try to address the cause of her recent problems. A thorough health check and carefully observing the relationship dynamics of the bonded group would be my advice.

If the hocks are very sore then FLAMAZINE Cream (POM) would be helpful along with systemic anti-inflammatories and abx if your Vet deems them to be necessary.

Janex :)

Thanks, I would say she has been more active since being put in the group, she was very quiet and inactive after she lost her last friend and now seems much brighter . I can't say I've noticed her being an outsider, but will pay particular attention over the next few days. They are in a a run, 24/7 which is 6 foot by 9 foot, and it is completely covered in medibed. It could be arthriis as she is an older bunny, its just she has lost hair from everywhere and I wondered if this could be linked to the speying, with her being an older bunny. She usually has pads that need to be trimmed off, on her hocks but she dosn't seem to have them now.

Thanks, I would say she has been more active since being put in the group, she was very quiet and inactive after she lost her last friend and now seems much brighter . I can't say I've noticed her being an outsider, but will pay particular attention over the next few days. They are in a a run, 24/7 which is 6 foot by 9 foot, and it is completely covered in medibed. It could be arthriis as she is an older bunny, its just she has lost hair from everywhere and I wondered if this could be linked to the speying, with her being an older bunny. She usually has pads that need to be trimmed off, on her hocks but she dosn't seem to have them now.

A heavy moult might be related to her spey.

Janex

Back