• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feel guilty...

Emm-Jane76

Mama Doe
I went into P@H today - always dangerous as I just fall in love with all the buns and want to save them all and take them home.

Anyway, I went in with my partner and there a was an absolutely gorgeous bun there called Annie a chincilla dwarf lop type. She was beautiful and up for adoption. A man had come in the previous week as he had to move and couldn't take his four buns with him.

Anyway there was a lot of mis-information going about this lovely girl. On the info on her cage it said she was spayed and vaccinated but on her other notes behind the counter it said she hadn't? She was about eighteen months old but the man told us she had been on her own as she had fought with her three playmates.

I was desperately trying to think with my head and not my heart and I thought about how I would bond with my two boys and two girls and where I would house her etc what would happen if I bonded her with one of my pairs then i would need bigger housing etc. I was really struggling with myself. Had she/hadn't she been spayed as that would be extra expense. It worried me the fact that the information about her wasn't clear. Anyway, in the end I took a deep breath and said I would go away and think about it.

I know deep down in my heart I have done the right thing as it is hard looking after my existing four what with giving them all the attention they deserve and everything - I just feel really guilty. I'm having to be really sensible but it is hard. I'm never going in there again - it just breaks my heart :(

Awwh - I know exactly how you feel. I went in my local P@H a few weeks ago and they had a GORGEOUS bun for sale. He was a large/giant breed called Bugsy and I stood and looked at him for about an hour. I even had the rabbit sales person come and tell me all about him. However, like you, I said I'd go away and think about it and once out of the shop, I let my head rule! My heart always tells me to save these poor buns from a life of boredom and solitary confinement as a child's 'five minute wonder' pet but my heart also tells me to give good homes to the buns that have already been a 'five minute wonder' pet and are sat in rescues waiting for a forever home. I try to walk away from P@H thinking that maybe, just maybe, the person who buys the next rabbit is going to be a responsible owner. There have to be SOME out there...................................

Awwww hun, I think you have done the right thing, for now at least :)

It so hard to see them, in any petshop. I am dreading the fact that a P@H is being built just down the road from me :? I know that I am going to have to go in there for emergency supplies. I would prefer that than the horrible small pet shop in town at the moment (hopefully they will close because of P@H) they are far worse :(

I agree with Mackers, someone else like you might come along next and give her a fab home, you have to have faith in these situations :)

Its true, it is hard but dont let your heart rule your head..sounds like you have some self-control!

Ive got two bunnies from the pah adoption centre, Mr Bo who had been there for 3months+ (due to aggression), who is now with a girl bun and is lovely!!

..and Bella "the possibly pregnant bun", she isnt pregnant, she is nervous but a character, always binkys!!

Im so glad i got both!

Like you say i always think of the rescues that are full of bunnies who need homes....

xx

Yeah, I know what you mean about P@H expanding! They've built a new one near me, me and my OH passed it a couple weeks ago on the way to Tesco's, I said something like "Oh NO, not Pets at Home!" he was confused for a while until I explained :D

I'd still like to make the longer trip to my existing pet & aquatic shop than P@H, I just can't stand P@H and the staff at the one I go to now are really helpful and know their stuff..

awww it's SO hard not to just walk away with armfuls of bunnies in there isn't it. That's some impressive self control you have but someone will find her. And with the adoption bits you can pretty much bet it's going to be someone responsible as they are usually older and given up for a reason ("owner could cope". honestly :censored:).. not like the cute teeny ones who people buy because they are cute (guilty as charged) and then realise they actually don't want/can't be bothered with/forget about a rabbit...

Back