• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Worms and worming

Beebop

Warren Veteran
Fudge has recently developed problems with her teeth which caused her to loose some weight, and she hasn't regained it since they were filed back in February. I'm a bit worried about her weight so shes going to see my vet Sharon on Monday fo a check up. Shes still bright eyed and bushy tailed and dives into her food bowl, so her behaviour is all normal, its just her weight that concerns me which is why shes going to the vet.

I have never wormed them before and I feel bad now:(, so my question is is it likely Fudge would have worms and Clove wouldn't as shes normal weight? Also is it panacur you ask for and what dosage as n.Ireland is less rabbit savvy than the rest of the UK so I really need to know incase my vets haven't even heard of worming rabbits before! :shock:

I'm hoping its just her teeth but have noticed her breathing is different to Cloves so really want to get her checked out. As I type this she is currently binkying in the garden and grazing on grass so she is as happy as ever but my gut is churning a bit as I don't know whats wrong with my baby and feel like a :censored: bunny mummy for not worming them sooner!

:wave: if you type "panacur" into the search bit at the top, it'll come up with a ton of info on it. you can buy it over the internet too.

the threads make for confusing reading though as to dosing though as it's also a preventative measure against EC. if i remember *rightly* Sooz would say to treat buns for 24 days each as a first course, then bi-annually for 9 days.

Panacur is a brand name of an antihelmentic drug calld Frubenzonole. :)

Fenbendazole ;)

Beebop my dental rabbits are always slightly undrweight despite my best efforts to build them up. I would recommend worming them but if they had intestinal parasitic worms you can usually see these in their stools.

The reason many people worm in response to an unexplained weightloss is that Encephalitozoon Cuniculi can cause damage to the renal system which can appear as weightloss and usually becomes couple with excessive drinking and urination as the condition progresses.

Lauralou said:
if i remember *rightly* Sooz would say to treat buns for 24 days each as a first course, then bi-annually for 9 days.

I would say 6 weeks initially and then 9 days bi-annually unless you see a suspected EC 'flare up' which would need another 6 week course. Thoughts and opinions (including my own) on the treatment of EC change all the time but this is my current treatment plan for my own rabbits.

Last edited:
I would say 6 weeks initially and then 9 days bi-annually unless you see a suspected EC 'flare up' which would need another 6 week course. Thoughts and opinions (including my own) on the treatment of EC change all the time but this is my current treatment plan for my own rabbits.

arrgh, dagnammit, so close! :wave:

Thanks for the advice everyone, and I'll update you with how it goes on Monday, fingers crossed its just her teeth!

Back