• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

should i take bunny for her vhd injection?

wattsy

Young Bun
Hi everyone , i have been reading about the reactions that bunnies have had with this injection. Billy is booked in for one at the vets next week but i dont know whether i should bother now, she is healthy and happy and i dont want to risk her getting ill. she has already had her mixy jab. how much of a threat is this VHD?

I think the bad reactions have just been with the cylap one haven't they? the new lapinjet one is fine so I've read on here - ask your vet about it :)

willow has been poorly and i am putting it down to the cylap injection even though the manufacturors told my vet that wasnt possible.

he has had it twice before and had no ill efects from it but i can say that in the future they will have the lapinjet one, i will not be giving any of my buns the cylap again

vhd injection

it was your story about willow that gave me concerns about it, taking the bun to the vet is bad enough for stressing them out without them getting ill afterwards because of a bad reaction.

she is healthy and happy and i dont want to risk her getting ill.

...which is the perfect reason for ensuring that they have the vaccination! VHD is an absolutely horrible disease, it can be carried around on your clothes and shoes so it can be spread very easily - it basically destroys their insides and they bleed to death internally. It is a very quick killer so it's very difficult to say how common it is, because most rabbits will just die before they get anywhere near a vet.

Yes there are small risks with the vaccine, whereas these are more than likely temporary and minor in nature, whereas if they get VHD they will die a horrible death.

I do agree with the previous comments though - lapinject does seem to be giving less problems with skin 'burn' etc - although it only comes in vials of 5 which need to be used on the same day, so you might need to arrange an appointment on a day where your vet is doing several VHD vaccinations. My vet uses lapinject on most days but if she only has one or two buns booked in that day she will use cylap. Personally I would have no problems with cylap being given to my buns if it was a choice of that or nothing though!

I have all the rabbit here vaccinated with Cylap but nest time we are going to try with Lapinject. I think if the vaccine is put in deep enough and given a good rub afterwards there is less local reaction, all of mine are off their food for two days and then back to normal :D

i think i would rather lose my bunnies to an injection that could prevent a nasty painful death.. ofcourse it would be nice for no reaction to occur tho..

wasnt it lapinjet that kirsty and lolas (sorry if ive got the wrong bunny mom) little boy died from???

I have just double checked willows vaccination certificate and it turns out he had the lapinject vaccination and NOT the cylap one,:shock:

cant believe i have only just thought to check. i just presumed it was the cylap injection because that is the one he has always had before

it that case in the future i will definately be sticking to the cylap injection and not the lapinject one

all four of my bunnies have had the cyclap vaccination for the fourth year running and none of them have ever shown any side effects afterwards. I would say its quite safe and if you do get a bad reaction to talk to the vet about it and get something different next time.

i think its to be expected that injecting a virus will cause some sort of a reaction. im pretty sure when i had the TB jab my arm went numb for days...

Alvin and pearl are due in august and i dont doubt its the right thing to do :D

Lolly reacted to the VHD jab but i would rather that than her catching the disease! It caused some fur to fall out and a massive scab like wound on her back which healed over time but i imagine that was far less painful for her than if she ever contracted VHD.

i think its to be expected that injecting a virus will cause some sort of a reaction. im pretty sure when i had the TB jab my arm went numb for days...

Alvin and pearl are due in august and i dont doubt its the right thing to do :D

totally agree.

they have to inect a small amount for your body to develop antibodies to fight it!

got baileys VHD on 30th june. just had his myxi done x

Back