• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

unhealthy Crystal

Crystal butterfly

Warren Veteran
last time Crystal was at the vets for her last dental the vet commented on her health he said that she didnt look or feel as healthy as what she used to i didnt see it myself but today when i gave her a cuddle there was something diffrent :? its really hard to explain her coat isnt soft anymore and shes looking quite dull :? if that makes sense like her eyes and the way she looks at me is just dull :? im really confused and dont know if im just being silly or what i mean shes running around the garden now stuffing her face with grass its just theres something 'diffrent' about her.

should i consider a change in her diet?

she currently gets

a handful of pellets daily
lots of fresh grass daily
(she wont eat hay at all but its available to her all the time)
and fruit and veg 3 times a week

should i maybe start giving fruit and veg daily instead? i was just worried about doing this because i see that most people who give fruit and veg daily seem to have problems with bloat and statis so im scared.

xx

my two get veg daily.. Alvin only gets stasis when hes in a strop so i assume its a stress thing with him.... its deffo not the veg cus i only know hes poorly when he refuses veg not after hes eaten it :D:lol:

maybe you could put some probiotic stuff in her water and see if that glosses her up... my two have lovely shiney coats off SS but alvin did seem to go a bit duller when he was on A&P not an obvious dulness just not as shiney as he is now if that makes sense.

you're more likely to give them bloat and stasis giving veg every other day - or too much grass - they like a regular daily diet - also avoid fruit and only give a small chunk of carrot, as the fruit sugars are what feeds the bad bacteria in the gut, so they can take over and give them too much gas = bloat/stasis.

as to whether she's healthy or not - if you're feeding her right there's not much else you can do - possibly worm her with panacur?

all my buns are wormed i could try her wit ha diffrent pellet though.

as for the fruit and veg i really didnt know about the high sugars in fruit and everything else i may start feeding mainly veg daily, as for teh fresh grass i dont know what to do :( Crystal wont eat hay at all not even diffrent types shes such a fuss pot and will only eat grass i was told that this was better then nothing as it will help keep her teeth down (she needs dentals monthly) :?

if she doesnt eat hay hun she has to have grass for her teeth... thats all hay is but dried.... two vets have looked at me like scum for not giving fresh grass daily :oops::oops:

1. I give all mine veg daily and the only one who has ever had bloat was Caspian....who had something far more sinister going on than over-indulgence.

2. All my dental bunnies have that 'look' about them, their coats are never as shiny, they are always slightly underweight & out of muscle condition and no amount of fresh veg, supplements, protein rich feed or probiotics can get it back.....I've tried it all.

Also dental bunnies are more prone to developing Pasteurella infections which can also present with a general loss of condition, 3 of my 4 also suffer with Pasteurella.

Last edited:
yeah if she won't eat hay she must eat grass - a couple of my bunnies have got stasis from too much grass though (but the others were fine - I think it's no coincidence the 2 that got ill are real greedy guts and practiaclly inhale food without chewing it :roll:)

tough, dark green leafy veg like greens and the outside leaves of savoy cabbage are also good for their teeth as they have to use a grinding motion to chew them up. Mine have about a medium/large leaf of greens a day, but if they've not had it before just give a tiny piece at first and build up gradually over a couple of weeks, so their tummies have a chance to get used to it

1. I give all mine veg daily and the only one who has ever had bloat was Caspian....who had something far more sinister going on than over-indulgence.

2. All my dental bunnies have that 'look' about them, their coats are never as shiny, they are always slightly underweight & out of muscle condition and no amount of fresh veg, supplements, protein rich feed or probiotics can get it back.....I've tried it all.

Also dental bunnies are more prone to developing Pasteurella infections which can also present with a general loss of condition, 3 of my 4 also suffer with Pasteurella.

i never knew that about dental buns thanks for all the info :D wish id asked about all this sooner. ive had rabbits for 3 years now and im still learning the basics :oops:

Back