• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Very poorly rabbit

holder

Alpha Buck
i haven't posted on here for about a year now, Honey my rabbit come to me 2 years ago & when i found her in my garden & checked her over i found she had a abcess on each of her hocks, she has been back & fort to the vets since i have had her, she as always had her teeth filed down abt every 6 weeks but i have always had to take her back within the week for them to be redone. The vet said she would give her anesthetic as it is so hard for them to do her teeth with her being so small.
When i went to collected her last monday the vet said she didn't know if she had filed the teeth down enough as she woke up while her teeth was being filed & she said she cut the inside of her mouth & she was bleeding a lot, she stopped the blood & said she had give her a pain killer & to take her back for a check up on the wednesday, Honey wasn't to good the next day but by wed she wasn't eating or drinking plus she had started to sneeze, the vet give me MAXOLON SYRUP to give her twice a day as her poo was so tiny & hardley any thing at all plus for me to give her more pain killer. I took her back again thursay as she was in a lot of pain not eating drinking or passing anything now & still sneezing, i stayed up all night with her as i thought i was going to lose her. Again i took her back friday & they had to give her an x ray & it showed a lot of gas in her stomach & long the gut so they kept her in & Syringe liquids in her. The vet said she had ate some hay & the gas have gone down a little bit & she will get better.
I left her a lone for a while when we come home to settle down, but she didn't move in the hour, so i went & picked her up & its the first time she has ever peed where she was laying & her back legs & hocks was all wet, so i cleaned her up but she is in a lot of pain still & still has not passed any poo or ate anything & its now 3am.
sorry for making this so long, but i need help & im hoping & praying that someone on here can help me as i have never seen her like this before & she as been though so much.
God bless you for any help at all xxxxx

Hiya,

When did she last have a painkiller?

Gentle tummy rubs may encourage the gas to pass and you can also give her some infacol (baby gas releaving liquid).

Is she drinking? If not you can try offering her some water via syringe to keep her hydrated. Obviously offer her favourite foods to see if you can tempt her to eat.

If she's sneezing too she may have a respiratory infection and need antibiotics - that could be why she's particularly unwell this time.

You could also ring the emergency vet (ring your normal vet and they'll have a message with the number or you'll be patched through) and they can give you advice.

If you search the forum for words like stasis and bloat you'll find some previous posts that may have other suggestions :)

I hope she improves soon!

Tamsin

Thank you Tamsin, she had a strong painkiller form the vet at tea time, & i have tried all different foods with her but she nippled on a dandelion leaf, plus i have to start her on BAYTRIL plus PROTEXIN FIBREPLEX in the morning... i have been massaging her tummy which she seems to like, i will try her with some water in a syringe again now & i will look up stasis & the bloat right now, thank you so very much xxx

Do you have injectable baytril or oral? Oral antibiotics tend to upset the gut so it would be best for her to have injectable ones as she's already not eating.

Its good she had a nibble :D Keep tempting her. Fibreplex is good as thats probiotics and fibre :D

A splash of pure apple juice in her water might encourage drinking.

If her mouth is sore dunking a pellet in juice to sofen then offering it to her might be tempting as well :)

No the baytril is oral. Up to now she has ate nearly 2 big leafs, but i am still syringing water as she will not drink at all, i have been massaging her tummy on & off all night & she seems to want me to do that. The vet said to take her back on monday but i can't wait till then as they said she would be eating by now. I will tell the vets i want the Baytril injecting instead of oral has i want the best way for her.
Thank you again for your help Tamsin, you have really helped me a lot tonight or should i say morning lol xxx

No problem :) I think the injectable stuff is once a day. I had to give it once and the vet filled up the syringes ready and showed me how.

That's great news on the eating! Hopefully now she's started she'll soon be guzzling away.

She's a very lucky bunny to have you as a mum looking after her :D

Is it just gas or is it a physical blockage at the intestine region? If it is just gas as a secondary cause due to the dental, then syringe feed her w/ water and something tasty but wet (no chewing required) For e.g., I use blackberry smashed by the juicer and mix w/ timonthy hay seedhead.

You want 50 g of the above PER KG of the bunny's weight.

The gas will pass w/ infacol.

You can use metocloprimide and casipride as well

To appeal her diet, mix water w/ carrot juice or pineapple juice, or simply use pineapple juice, it's okay to use it for a few days (my bridge bunny Goofball has been on juices for over 1 yr.)

awww poor little bunny :( sounds like you are treating her right though - fluids will help, painkillers are a must, infacol (baby wind medicine) will help with gas. A probiotic will help balance the bacteria in the gut, and I agree she shouldn't have oral antibiotics at a time like this, as they knock out the good bacteria as well as the bad (the bad is what's making the gas build up).

You need to get her guts moving along so the bad bacteria are swept out of their cosy nest - will she eat pellets soaked in a splash of boiling water from the kettle? When Maa was really ill she'd eat that soaked with a teaspoon of porridge oats, with a slice of banana mashed into it for flavouring. And dandelions of course - they will always eat them and it helps them get their appetite back. Hope she'll be OK :(

awww poor little bunny :( sounds like you are treating her right though - fluids will help, painkillers are a must, infacol (baby wind medicine) will help with gas. A probiotic will help balance the bacteria in the gut, and I agree she shouldn't have oral antibiotics at a time like this, as they knock out the good bacteria as well as the bad (the bad is what's making the gas build up).

You need to get her guts moving along so the bad bacteria are swept out of their cosy nest - will she eat pellets soaked in a splash of boiling water from the kettle? When Maa was really ill she'd eat that soaked with a teaspoon of porridge oats, with a slice of banana mashed into it for flavouring. And dandelions of course - they will always eat them and it helps them get their appetite back. Hope she'll be OK :(

Thank you all ... i was massaging her stomach untill 6am & i could feel & hear the gas in her stomach, but she peed on me again so i cleaned her up & left her a lone for a while, & she ran into the dinning room where all her stuff is, she went & leid on her bedding so i left her all her food & water & got into bed, when i got up i called the vets & they said just to give the antibiotics by mouth which i'm not happy about, but then i went into her & she was sitting in her litter box, which is the first time she has donr this in the last few days & i know that is a good sign :) i put her water bowl under her mouth & she took a drink by herself & had a little nipple on a dandelion leaf so things are starting to look up but still no signs of any droppings.
I will have to go out now & get some infacol which i have never heard of before now, i was wondering where i can get this from & how much do i give her?

I have the food i soak in water & i syringe into her mouth, & the vet said she must have 20ml, but the vet said she shouldn't need it today, but i going to try her again in a while when she comes out litter box, which is full of hay as well, but ive not seen her eating any hay yet.

You can get Infacol from Boots or other chemists, and some supermarkets have it. It'll be in the baby section.

When I've had to give it to Tarquin I've just put the pipette thing in is mouth and given him one litle squirt of it and then repeated it about 40 minutes later.

I'm not sure if you have read this article but it may help: Gastro-Intestinal Stasis: The Silent Killer

If there is still gas in his tummy I would personally not force feed until it has dispersed and stick with the 1ml Infacol followed by 10ml warm water once an hour routine. After administarting some gentle abdominal massage and exercise can help get things moving.

I have to say when my rabbit had his last bout of bloat I knew things were bad when he became incontinent.

Has your rabbit been receiving Sub Q fluids?

I'm not sure if you have read this article but it may help: Gastro-Intestinal Stasis: The Silent Killer

If there is still gas in his tummy I would personally not force feed until it has dispersed and stick with the 1ml Infacol followed by 10ml warm water once an hour routine. After administarting some gentle abdominal massage and exercise can help get things moving.

I have to say when my rabbit had his last bout of bloat I knew things were bad when he became incontinent.

Has your rabbit been receiving Sub Q fluids?
Yes there is still a lot of gas in her tummy, she has come out of her litter box & there is no droppings at all :cry: she is just laying there again.
Yes i did find that link early hours of this morning thank you Sooz.
the worst thing is that the vet said she won't need any more fluids has they gave her a lot when she was left in the vets .... i will keep up the massage plus give her the Infacol plus the warm water every hour & the leafs i will keep trying, its the incontinent that is really worring me has she as never been like this before & she as been though a lot in the last 2 years.
Again i THANK you all for your help has you have really helped Honey xxxx

I just noticed in your first post you mentioned she haemorraged during her dental.....was she bleeding profusely because the blood would not clot or because the vet cut the vein on the inside of her cheek badly?

Has she been receiving NSAIDs such as Metacam or Rimadyl?

I just noticed in your first post you mentioned she haemorraged during her dental.....was she bleeding profusely because the blood would not clot or because the vet cut the vein on the inside of her cheek badly?

Has she been receiving NSAIDs such as Metacam or Rimadyl?

Honey woke up while the vet was doing her teeth & she said she cut the side of her cheek badly because Honey moved. Yes she has been on metacam but it was not working to good so the vet gave her an other pain killer which lasts for 24 hours & she said its the strongest one they can give her, but it will have her sleepy which it did do for a while. She keeps moving from side to side & grinding her teeth really bad, but she has just took a drink of water by herself, i have left the water & food right beside so she doesn't have to get up.

I was just concerned that she may have compromised renal function.....which can be indicated by profuse bleeding and lead to them being unwell. If this was the case NSAIDs should be avoided, as coupled with stasis which also creates a lot of toxins they can put a huge strain on the liver/kidneys.

There is a medication which Jane often recommends...Questran, which can help bind up toxins in the stomach and can help prevent them reaching the liver and causing toxic shock and failure which may be helpful to Honey. It's available from chemists via a veterinary prescription.

I would consider asking your vets giving her some Sub-Q fluids, even showing you how to give them at home, as during stasis rabbits tend to absorb water from the gut to hydrate elsewhere and this can dry out intestinal matter leading to trichobezoars forming. If she is suffering with her liver/kidneys this has the added benefit of helping to flush toxins out.

I just noticed that Marie Kubiak is online, she is an exotics vet and may be able to help if you PM her or ask her to look at this thread. :wave:

Can you please let me know how long i have to use the Infacol for i have been giving it to Honey for the last 3 hours & then the water with some mint tea but nothing is working.
How long can she go without passing anything as it as been 4 days now.

Only just seen this, so sorry Honey is not too good. I can't add to any more advice you have had already and I personally have not dealt with Bloat before. Can you get Honey to move round as this can help to disperse the gas too.

Sending her some get well vibes. I hope she feels better soon.

Only just seen this, so sorry Honey is not too good. I can't add to any more advice you have had already and I personally have not dealt with Bloat before. Can you get Honey to move round as this can help to disperse the gas too.

Sending her some get well vibes. I hope she feels better soon.

Thank you bunny babe, i have been trying to get her to move but she won't so i am sat with her massaging her tummy & i have been doing this for hours now on & off but i can feel the gas inside it is horrible, i know she is liking me doing but i am so worried she is not going to pass anything.

well i don't know what to do now, Honeys stomach is swelling up & she still is not moving or eating & i am still giving her water plus the Infacol ... nothing the vets or what i have tried has worked, i really don't know what to do for her now.

Back