• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Speying - Aftercare? Also, Bonding Bunnies?

hollyd123

Warren Scout
Hiya, :wave:

I think I'm finally going to book Darcy in for speying. I've been weighing it up "should I, shouldn't I". I know its for the best (uterine cancer preventitive, she may be able to have a friend etc) but I can't help worrying about it! :roll: She's a grumpy little bun (this is why I took her on! - She was 'unhandleable' and no good as a childrens pet), but I still love her to bits! :D

Anyway, to my question... I've never had a bunny neutered before, it seems a big op for a bun and I'm a little worried about the aftercare. I know a lot of you work for rescue centres and have bunnies neutered all the time, how are they after the op? Do you bring them indoors to look after them? How do you stop them nibbling the stitches? How do you keep the op site clean etc?

Sorry for all the questions!! :oops: Before I took Darcy on, I never thought I'd get this attached to a bunny rabbit, but now I see why you all love'um so much!! :love:

Thanks in advance

- Holly -

P.S - I've written this much and realised I've not asked the second question - durr!! I'll leave it a while after she's speyed, but I would like to take on a rescue hus bun at some point, what happens with regards to bonding? If I took on a rescue bun and they didn't get on, I'd feel awful having to take the bun back to rescue? Do rescues help with bonding?

P.P.S - Below is a photo I took of her munching her carrot tops in the kitchen the other day:

NaugthyPups097-Copy.jpg

Hi, I've just had my 3rd bun speyed today, so I'm no real expert, but I understand how nervous you feel.
For my 3 I've kept then indoors for a week, in a cage so they don't hop around too much and strain anything. I've kept them warm with a snuggle pad for the first couple of days and given them fibreplex, to keep their gut flora working. The first bun I got done stopped eating and pooping, so I got some painkiller and some gut stimulant to inject and that got her going. You can get oral painkiller (metacam), but I'm not sure about the gut stimulant (metochlopramide). I put in their mixed food, but kept out hay incase it irritated their wounds, and gave them grass and dandilion instead, dandilion seems to be the best to get mine eating again.
I've left Xena to be quiet on some towel in the spare room, I find towels good as they are soft and again don't irritate the wound and you can see if they are pooping and peeing.
Good luck and hope all goes well, I've only started speying my females over the last couple of months after I lost a 4 year old lop to uterine cancer in the spring.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, its really helpful :D I think I'll put her in a large dog crate in the house after the op. Will def use towels - I'd not thought of that. I have a snugglesafe, will make sure I have that to hand for her.

Am I right in thinking I must take food with her to the vets so she can be eating constantly before and after the op?

Thanks again for your advice, I really appreciate it! :D

- Holly - :wave:

Yes, I always put a handful of food into the carrier, cause they can sit for a while before the vet starts the op, and I take in a little packet of food for them while waiting for me to pick them up, they must be allowed to eat at all times.
I've never had a problem with them nibbling the stitches and just keep an eye on the wound, she should have a post op check 3-4 days after the op anyway with a vet nurse or a vet. Mine get glued together so there is no need for stitches to be removed, the wound should be fully healed after 12 day, externally, I'd give her a couple of weeks longer to allow the internal wounds to heal.

If you get a neutred male, it is much easier to bond them, there are lots of posts on here about bonding and quite a few rescues seem to do it for you, just ask around on here when your ready.

Hi, i think your making the right decision in getting her done.

I have 8 bunnies and only 2 are gurls. I have 1 of them spayed so far, as the other was "possibly pregnant"..but she isnt, phewwwwwww!

Anyways, i wont say its easy and everything will be fine, it is v.stressful or it was for me, Lopsy didnt come round too well after the op and i brought her home, she wasnt eating, weeing, drinking, pooing and was sooo cold so i ended up taking her to emergency vets....of course they sorted everything and within a couple of days she was fine...

I left Lopsy about a month after her op before introducing her to Mr Bo, after a couple of days they were fine. Although again bonding is stressful, so it may be wise to get alot of advice and possibly ask a rescue to help with bonding once ready...

I have 1girl and 3boys to get spayed/neutered, in which i then aim to either bond them all together or in pairs....fingers crossed!

Hope all goes well...

Aftercare, i can offer no more advice than the great advice you have been given. Just ensure bun is warm and eating. Possibly place water in a bowl and dont have hay laying around, try a hay rack. Also leave bun to relax in quiet environment and all will be okay...

Best of luck :D

x

Back