• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How can I make life easier for a snuffle bun?

Noah's Mummy

Young Bun
Hello, my bun has been treated for snuffles at the vets before (this included injections, baytril etc) to no avail. I spent in excess of £200 and sadly he is still sneezing.. he hasn't deteriorated but nor have I seen any improvement. If there is anything I could do to make him more comfortable please let me know - thank you!

Jane posted a little while ago about administering an antibiotic (I think) directly into the nostrils helping one of her buns- might be worth dropping her a PM for more info

My buns snuffles had no reaction to Baytril.
Ask your Vet about Septrin. Its fantastic!!!!!
Its a childrens antibiotic but can be used and is Banana flavour, my bun loves it!!
xx

i noticed Dana Krempel had a good article on snuffles on her website. Ill see if I can locate it.

By Rabbits suffered for about 3 months and it cleared up when treated with Septrin as Melanie suggested.

A vet also recommended putting the rabbit in its carry box with a towel over the top and some hot water in a bowl with a few drops of baby olbas oil near the carry box, to create a steamy enclosure.

This really seemed to help my rabbit’s breath more easily.

Louise

Hello, my bun has been treated for snuffles at the vets before (this included injections, baytril etc) to no avail. I spent in excess of £200 and sadly he is still sneezing.. he hasn't deteriorated but nor have I seen any improvement. If there is anything I could do to make him more comfortable please let me know - thank you!

Hello :)

Is your Bun doing dry sneezes or is there lots of mucus too ?

Has the Vet done a thorough Dental examination. Dental problems involving elongated tooth roots can cause snuffles-like symptoms.

I have a few Buns prone to Upper Respiratory Tract problems and I have seen great improvement after using TIACIL ( which is actually an abx eye drop ) administered directly into each nostril. I also use Benadryl Oral Syrup, this is an antihistimine which appears to help soothe inflammed nasal membranes.

Some Buns do not respond to Baytril, but was the course your Bun had long enough? The latest recommendation is a 6 weeks course. There are also other abx that could be tried such as Septrin, Cephalexin, Engemycin or Depocillin ( by injection only )

Changing the substrate you Bun is bedded on can be useful. Wood-shavings are best avoided. A dust extracted finely chopped straw (eg medibed) may help or confetti shredded paper.

If your Bun is a HouseBun then central heating can exacerbate respiratory tract problems. Using humidifiers can help as can turning the central heating down !!

I hope that your Bun will feel more comfortable soon

Janex :)

Noah (pictured to my left!) sneezes often which produces a clear mucus. Fortunately he is a house rabbit so he is not on any dusty bedding and his litter tray is lined with carefresh.

Benadryl Oral Syrup.. is that banana flavoured? ;)

Last edited:
Back