• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sex & Covers!!

Two things!! I got my baby bunnies on Wednesday!!! :D slight issue... not sure what sex they are and dubious about going to the vet...

The parents of my rabbits were taken to the vets at 4 months old and the vet told my friend that they were both girls! a few weeks later..ummm...babies! :rolleyes: I have bought another hutch so i can seperate them nearer the time of sexual maturity, so i can have the boy neutured if one of each sex as i don't want babies.. however i am worried that if they are both boys/girls they may fight after reintroduced after a period of time..?? thoughts??? I feel sad as i haven't named them as i don't know what they are?!? at the moment they are Bunny 1 and bunny 2 :lol:
Rabbits.jpg

Also my father-in-law (he's never had a rabbit but got me worried) told me that putting a cover over the front of the hutch lead to breathing difficulties?? I've done this before with rabbits i used to have and nothing was wrong with them... but as these babies are only 6 weeks (mother stopped feeding them) i want to ensure they are fighting fit and don't get cold. The cover is a soft tarpulin, just over it at night.

Well, with a cover you have to make sure that there is adequate ventilation for air to go in and out. During the summer time you also don't want the hutch to over-heat.

I would get their sexes checked when you take them in for vaccination. It is important to find a VET that knows about rabbits, some of them only seem interested in cats and dogs. It's important to have them vaccinated, so take them along as soon as they are at the right age. Others can advise as to what ages to take them.

edit: ps they are addorable :)

I can wholeheartedly understand your issue regarding the sexing of the rabbits - I am going through that myself right now - thought I had two girls - might have a girl and a boy - off to the vets tomorrow to have their myxi shots and get sexed !

P.S. Your bunnies are soooooo cute !

vets do sometimes make mistakes as I took my neutered male rabbit to the vet once and he said he was a girl! Took me a couple of minutes to remember I'd had him neutered! :lol:

They are very young yet and probably won't be sexually mature until around 16 weeks when the males testicles normally drop. Keep checking them in between their legs and if testicles appear they will be quite obvious!
You do need to find a good vet who you can trust though as rabbits need regular vaccinations and check ups. It will also help to get them neutered or spayed when they are old enough (4-6 months).

If you separate them make sure that you keep them within eye and smelling distance as it will help with reintroducing but at 6 weeks I wouldnt worry too much at the minute, however being 6 weeks does make it very difficult to sex them. I had a similar problem last year, we got two bunnies and were told they were both girls, didnt have any reason to disbelieve this until 7 months later we got 5 little surprises. We took the babies a total of 3 times to the vets (from 8 weeks to 12 weeks) to be sexed as each time they couldnt give us a definative answer. If they are both boys it shouldnt be too much of a problem as long as they are neutered, which would curb there natural aggression, I had two boys and a girl who lived very happily together, although the best Im led to believe is one of each sex, and my two pairs of mixed couples does work very well, however, they will have the odd tiff no matter what partnership they are, but mine always make up. I wish you all the best, and they are cuties, you could always think on generic names so they would suit either sex, like gin and tonic or rum and coke, im not an alcoholic honest.

Sad News

I'm afraid i have some sad news of which i am devastated :cry: I came down this morning to find both my babies gone and the access to the bottom of the cage (easy access to clean them) off. They were on top of a new cage i was in the progress of staining but i'd put them on the floor in the old hutch to stain the otherone. I searched everywhere and eventually got the whole neighbourhood searching... We found 'Summer' the brown baby under a bush in the front garden, but no sign of the white one 'Cinnamon'. A lady then came out and said her cat had brought a baby rabbit into her house...dead. I am still in total shock and blame myself for not double checking the fixtures were solid and wouldn't break. I feel like i've let him down and if only's are a regular thought!

they had escaped out of my garden through the fence and up the alleyway onto the front of the gardens... Summer managed to stay hidden due to her colour but Cinnamon obviously had no chance. At 6 weeks old and 4 days with me this shouldn't have happened. I am always the one telling others off for their 'poor' husbandary and then i go and let this happen...Idiot.

I just wanted to say thanks to all who replied to this thread. I have now put Summer in the new hutch with no possible escape routes and better locks. But it won't bring Cinnamon back. Please everyone make sure you double check your fittings.

:cry: oh no, I'm so sorry to hear this. do make sure you put it in the Rainbow Bridge section too. how devestating. :( Summer must be very stressed, do keep an eye on her eating, drinking and pooping. did she get a chance to see Cinnamon? will you bond her in the future?

sleep tight little one x

Really sorry to hear about that :( a similar thing happened to me once too, not nice!

I'm glad the other lil one is OK though x

Meet Cleo

As you recall i lost Cinnamon after just 4 days!!!:cry: I was devestated so my mum took me to a lovely little farm where they had babies and we picked a beautifull girlie called Cleo, she's actually the same age as Summer but a little bigger, I don't really know what breed either bunny is - however i loves them lots!!

I thought you'd like to see a picture when i introduced Summer to Cleo...:D they are bestest friends!!
CleoSummer.jpg

Back