• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this a good idea- bonding question U/D 8/6

peediepixie

Mama Doe
Hiya, as you may know I've had Elsa and Sammy in their pen in the shed for just over a week now. They are getting on alright, eating out of the same bowl, going nose to nose etc but I've not seen any grooming yet and I think there is still a bit of chasing so I'm waiting a few days yet before moving them into the hutch.
Elsa previously lived in the hutch with Eddie. I have painted the inside and washed it out, going to rearrange it etc before I put them in the hutch.
I need to clean out the pen today, would it be a good idea to put the dirty bedding etc into the hutch to try and get those (new) smells into the hutch before moving them in? :?

Last edited:
Hi Pix,

My boys lived in the Mansion on their own, were then bonded with the girls in a run and when I moved them all back into the mansion I'd previously sprayed the whole hutch, wire, roof, walls floors, everything with a diluted white wine vinegar solution. I then moved all the hay from the run floor that they were all using into the run of the mansion and scooped all their poos up into one of the litter trays.

This has worked. Although I have seen some fur pulling there has been no real nastiness at all between the four of them.

I'd say move their mess into the hutch with them.

Thanks:D I have cleaned it with a vinegar solution but I'm going to do it again before I move them in. I was just thinking that the familiar smells from the bonding pen may make it smoother when moving into the hutch.

Well Sammy and Elsa are now living harmoniously in the hutch:D When Elsa was ill over the last few days he was lying in the tray next to her, aw! I took them both to the vets and Elsa was laying with her head over his back:love: I am so pleased! And Sammy is such a cheeky little character, he's awesome:D

Back