• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you think about a new breed?

AllForTheAnimals

Warren Scout
I am working on a new breed but want to know what you guys think about it I am going to try to get a breed grant from the arba this summer so what do you think?

I agree. If you have a soft spot for giants, perhaps you could work on an existing breed? I know giants usually live less because of the extra stress on their organs, perhaps you could aim for a longer (but healthy) lifespan and a better build that means there isn't so much pressure on their joints/back?

What are you hoping to achieve by creating a new breed? What breeds are you crossing in order to create a new breed?

You'll need to do loads of research on rabbit genetics first...randomly cross-breeding is often a recipe for disaster if the offspring inherit the 'bad' traits from their parents.

Im sure I read from one of your posts that your still at school? :? I agree with the first reply anyhoo :) X

If the ARBA is the American Rabbit Breeding Association then it's worth bearing in mind that the USA seems to encourage younger people to get involved with rabbit (and other animal) breeding with things like 4H. Not something I really agree with from the things I've seen on here and other forums, but if the OP really feels the need to breed then I think it's better to improve the current breeds than make a new one, which could crop up with all sorts of health problems

Yes I am still in school but have been studying rabbit genetics for a few years now. Actually I wanted to make a new breed because rabbits among most other things are my life and I now want a challenge. My new breed is going to be from a New Zealand Cross Standard Rex Buck With a Mini Rex then getting kits that have a soft but not as soft as the rexes in turn I found that they will have 'double' coats meaning they have roll back fur on top and rex beneath the first layer. I know it will take a long while to perfect but I like the kits great temperment, colors, coat, size, and just about everything else about them

What about if some of the babies inherit the normal rex coat but are of New Zealand size? Could this not aggravate problems with sore hocks, as there will be extra weight on the hocks of the rabbits?

Thanks for all your replies I know that on this forum basicly what you guys see about breeding is cruelty etc. but all my rabbits are found good homes, the care taker given a booklet containing the basics of care, websites, etc also they get my phone number so they can call me if they need help there actually arn't many rabbits up here where I live

Actually, as I've said on the forum before, I'm not anti-breeding, as long as it's done responsibly. I figured as you've posted a thread for opinions, you'd be open to questions about it :) It would be nice to show the forum that breeders do stop and think about what they're doing to make sure the bunnies' interests are their main priority

If the ARBA is the American Rabbit Breeding Association then it's worth bearing in mind that the USA seems to encourage younger people to get involved with rabbit (and other animal) breeding with things like 4H. Not something I really agree with from the things I've seen on here and other forums, but if the OP really feels the need to breed then I think it's better to improve the current breeds than make a new one, which could crop up with all sorts of health problems

Oh I am also in 4-h and next year me and my mom will be running the rabbit club since there isn't one yet

Being "in school" doesnt mean much in America does it? I mean dont they call it "school" until theyre about 25?:lol: Not like here when youd assume it was a kid

Uh, anyway new breed...im going to say no, i dont think theres any need, they have enough problems already. In order to improve the health youd have to be some kind of genetic genius and even then its a bit of a lottery. We lost our 1-2 year old spotted lop recently because of a problem bunnies with his colouration seem to be prone to develop and i know of other buns in the same situation suffering. That was from breeders wanting something more and messing about, to be frank. Trying to fix what aint broken and wanting new colours and styles...these are living creatures whose health is paramount, and their health is fine if left alone (except as someone mentioned the breeds like giants who have already had problems bred into them. Im not sure more breeding will help much)

Plus theres the fact there are a ton of rabbits on this planet already

But its your decision and its good youre thinking it through so much

Yes I am still in school but have been studying rabbit genetics for a few years now. Actually I wanted to make a new breed because rabbits among most other things are my life and I now want a challenge. My new breed is going to be from a New Zealand Cross Standard Rex Buck With a Mini Rex then getting kits that have a soft but not as soft as the rexes in turn I found that they will have 'double' coats meaning they have roll back fur on top and rex beneath the first layer. I know it will take a long while to perfect but I like the kits great temperment, colors, coat, size, and just about everything else about them

????????????

However I would agree with the previous posters, if you are going to breed it would be nice to work on improving the health of existing lines. :)

Not being funny but a great campaign could be to highlight the plight of abandoned rabbits where you live. As a breeder you have the perfect forum to advice people about housing etc.

The welfare side is harrowing but rewarding when you see it helps.

Uh, anyway new breed...im going to say no, i dont think theres any need, they have enough problems already. In order to improve the health youd have to be some kind of genetic genius and even then its a bit of a lottery.

It's not that difficult to breed for health, you just have to do lots of homework. Genetic knowledge, and (perhaps more importantly) knowledge of the lineage of the rabbits you're breeding from. I'm more informed on the rat breeding 'world' than rabbits but with rats it's not uncommon for a breeder to stop breeding an entire 'line' if they discover problems in the litters that could be genetic - they keep in touch with owners, ask for updates on personality, health etc.
You may get the odd throwback or recessive genes cropping up but if you follow the obvious 'rules' like not breeding from unhealthy rabbits or those with unknown ancestors you can breed for things like a healthy build (e.g. a good shape jaw that isn't prone to malloclussion/molar problems), good health (those with a stronger resistance to bugs), good size (less genetic disposition to being overweight, probably most useful in rexes and giant breeds), etc.

Thanks alot guys My mom dosn't really care what I do with them neither does my dad so all I got is you guys. Well health is a major line for me so far all the kits and parents have been very healthy and so far my first litter of the double coats a MaxiandScottansBuns actually I have been breeding them already but before I went to far I wanted to get some opinions and so far I'm getting them

Another major defect is the infamous Rex heart defect. It may be worth working on breeding that out?

Another major defect is the infamous Rex heart defect. It may be worth working on breeding that out?

Very good point, especially when you're factoring in the fact that larger breeds have a greater strain on their organs due to carrying more weight.
To be honest I would rather see a lot more work done on breeding out the current health problems with rexes before using them to 'create' another breed, which may get these same problems or more

Back