• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Salt isn't eating u/d we have munching :-)

HS

Wise Old Thumper
I noticed about 1pm that Salt was looking uncomfortable, and he refused treats, so he got the cooled boiled water and tummy rubs treatment.
He was no better by 5pm, so took him to the vets. It's a vet I've not seen before, and I was really unimpressed. He said that gut stimulant wasn't necessary and gave some baytril.
I told him my theories - heavy moult at the moment, so a bit of a fur ball, and teeth - teeth were checked, but not very thoroughly.
I gave some recovery food when I got home, and he's also had pineapple juice.
I've phoned the emergency vet, who fortunately is one of the vets from the practice who I trust, and she said to carry on with the recovery and leave him to settle tonight - take him in in the morning if he's no better.
So could we have some eating vibes for Salt please.

Last edited:
Thank you.
The vibes seem to be working a little. I've just given him some more recovery, and he was quite happy to lick it from the syringe, and I popped a couple of the dried pineapple chunks into his mouth, and he's eaten them (and taken a chunk out of my finger in the process - but it was worth it!!).
Hopefully we're on the up!

thats good little nibbles do seem to lead onto proper eating :) hope you manage to get some sleep tonight and dont spend it worrying about the little man (easier said than done i know :oops:)

Thanks! I think I'll be fine if he has a couple of little nibbles of stuff, and he's had the recovery food.
I think being in a little peace and quiet without me shoving food in his face every 30 minutes may help too:roll:

I'm just a little cross with the vet really. And also a little bit embarrassed, as I complained about him to the emergency vet :oops:

What a good boy he is! Tucking into some hay as we speak, as well as some dandelion leaves.
Thanks for the good wishes - hope he stays the same tomorrow.
I may pop him along to the vets again tomorrow to have his teeth checked properly.

Back