PDA

View Full Version : Horrific photos of cruelty u/d photos page 7!

Kay
05-06-2008, 09:40 PM
These poor bunnies are a group of 7 that have come into the Rabbit Residence from the same person. The are in horrific condition. The photos aren't good quality because they taken from the newsletter that Caroline sent.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v224/maria2004/Picture075.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v224/maria2004/Picture076.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v224/maria2004/Picture077.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v224/maria2004/Picture078.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v224/maria2004/Picture079.jpg

She has also had to help the rescue of a load of domesticated rats that were kept in these:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v224/maria2004/Picture074.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v224/maria2004/Picture073.jpg

As you can imagine she is at her wits end with people. Please send loads of vibes to her and the rabbits and rats.

Lauralou
05-06-2008, 09:42 PM
:cry: poor poor buns and rats. vibes-a-plenty.

Minimallow
05-06-2008, 09:44 PM
Oh my god thats :censored: awful. Hope the buns and rats get the care they need and deserve

Lspacehopper
05-06-2008, 09:46 PM
OMG.........poor rabbits and poor rats!! If the rats haven't all got respiratory issues I'll be amazed :(

kayj
05-06-2008, 09:46 PM
I hope the person is being prosecuted:evil:

Thea & Bobbin
05-06-2008, 09:48 PM
:censored:

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Sending loads of vibes, I'm sure these buns will make a fine recovery, they are in great hands :)

halfpenny
05-06-2008, 09:51 PM
:censored::censored::censored::censored:

Kay
I'll keep you all updated with their progress, I am going up there this Sunday so hope to have some photos of more comfortable looking rabbits and an update about the rats.

I feel so sorry for Caroline she is hitting a real low at the moment and written a letter of despair to all the helpers.

little_blue_bug
RAH!!! i dont understand what kind of person you have to be to stand by and let that happen, surely they know its wrong...makes me so sad :cry:

Lucy
05-06-2008, 09:52 PM
Geez what the heck can you say to those images! However did she not spark the owners out I don't know :censored:

bunbuns
05-06-2008, 09:53 PM
:cry::cry::cry: Poor bunnies and rats.

They are the lucky ones, at least they've got people to help them now.

Snowy
05-06-2008, 09:54 PM
That is awful!!, those poor bunnies and rats, for goodness sake what is wrong with people!!, I really hope they are going to be prosecuted.

please give Caroline our best wishes, tell her she is doing a brilliant job

Kay
05-06-2008, 09:56 PM
Geez what the heck can you say to those images! However did she not spark the owners out I don't know :censored:

I think she was lost for words. It hits so hard when you love and devote your life to these wonderful creatures. I am not sure about prosecution, i'll find out though. The guy who had them still protests how much he loves them!! :censored::censored::censored:

Kay
05-06-2008, 09:57 PM
That is awful!!, those poor bunnies and rats, for goodness sake what is wrong with people!!, I really hope they are going to be prosecuted.

please give Caroline our best wishes, tell her she is doing a brilliant job

I will let her know that everyone sends their best wishes :)

jesska
05-06-2008, 09:57 PM
ohh that horrible, why do they all have long teeth? just iv never had mine to cut or deal with long teeth with my bunnies could that mean that there diets would be bad to get like this? i dont think i could sleep knowing i had animal suffering in my garden.

coco1200
05-06-2008, 10:00 PM
that person is the epitome of evil :censored::censored:

Kay
05-06-2008, 10:04 PM
ohh that horrible, why do they all have long teeth? just iv never had mine to cut or deal with long teeth with my bunnies could that mean that there diets would be bad to get like this? i dont think i could sleep knowing i had animal suffering in my garden.

They have long teeth because the owner didn't give any hay and only fed a mix once a day if they were lucky. Also when the teeth started getting long they didn't take them to a vets for a dental. Its not like they didn't notice.

Mackers
05-06-2008, 10:07 PM
OMG - poor bunnies and rats. Please send best wishes to Caroline - she does such an amazing job. I got Pea and Pod from her and I felt GUILTY taking them away from such a wonderful rescue!!!

Maizey
05-06-2008, 10:19 PM
God those poor animals.Some people make me sick how can they let an animal get in to that state.Sending loads of healing vibes and well done Caroline for saving them.I hope the people responsible get prosecuted.

parsnipbun
05-06-2008, 10:23 PM
That is just awful . . . Caroline must be devastated to see this sort of thing happen to animals that she loves so much. I do hope they can all be helped.

louise and Gus
05-06-2008, 10:25 PM
I have visited Caroline on several occasions and she has an amazing rescue and does a wonderful job. Poor poor buns :cry:

Fran
05-06-2008, 10:34 PM
Poor buns and rats :( Caroline does an amazing job, if it weren't for her I wouldn't have Rubix & Sophie, send my best wishes to her xx

Flopsybananabuttercup
05-06-2008, 10:35 PM
Good on everyone for getting the animals out of that environment.

I must admit I use 'storage' type containers for my mice but they have good ventilation and are big enough for the animals housed in them.
I have 'satellite' type wheels in there for them and cardboard tubes to play with.

I also use large storage tubs as birthing boxes for my rats, the same sex goups are in aviaries, again they are massive ones with masses of ventilation.
I may breed some of my rats but they are given the same care and handling etc as if they were 'just' pets. As it is they are pets first and breeding animals second.

It's not always that the housing is inadequate but that the owners haven't 'adapted' them in an adequate manner.

DixieLuBun
05-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Those poor bunnies and rats it's still so hard to think what some people will do to animals. Loads of Vibes for you Caroline along with the Bunnies and Rats.

ellejay
05-06-2008, 10:40 PM
Awww those poor buns. How can people let them get in those kind of states?
I hope they all get better soon and at least they are in the right hands now.
Sending lots of vibes and bunny hugs xx

skeleton
05-06-2008, 10:42 PM
See and hear lots of things about cruelty and it still devastates me and upsets me so much and makes me angry.These poor wee souls.I'm crying, it breaks my heart,every time i hear and see things. Vibes to the bunnies and rats.Hugs to Caroline.Wishing all the best.Keep us updated please,thanks.

Bunnyaddict
05-06-2008, 10:43 PM
Thinking so much of those poor buns & rats - I cannot understand how anyone can be so ignorant & cruel. I hope the person concerned gets what they deserve. Sending loads of vibes & love for the buns, rats & Caroline xx

Kay
05-06-2008, 10:47 PM
As a way of cheering Caroline up could people who have adopted buns from her please send me photos so I can email them to her to show how happy they are. I think she feels that she is making no difference at all and she clearly is :D

donnamt
05-06-2008, 10:49 PM
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: cant believe it :cry:

Jazzy B Bunny
05-06-2008, 10:54 PM
OMG :cry: poor buns and ratties how could you let them get in such a state :shock: :cry:

bunnymadhouse
05-06-2008, 11:08 PM
:cry: :cry: :evil: :evil:

XMissySJx
05-06-2008, 11:11 PM
poor babies :(:(
such cruelty, i still sit here and wonder 'how can a person do it'. i dont think ill ever understand. poor poor things, i hope they will get the life they deserve now, id like to see their progress if possible, would be nice to see them when they are happy :)

well done xxx

Becky's Bunnies
05-06-2008, 11:48 PM
really could never understand some people (the people that could do things like this).
:evil:
id send them to prison, to me its like doing that to a baby.

rianne23
06-06-2008, 12:25 AM
:shock:OM:censored:G those poor animals :( grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr it makes me so :censored: cross :evil:evil people :(

xx thank goodness no more suffering will happen there :(

buddabun
06-06-2008, 07:23 AM
OMG the teeth :shock:

i will never understand how people can let this happen to their animals, surely they must realise that a rabbit's teeth aren't supposed to be visible when it's mouth is closed/!?!?!?!

lets hope they recover and find loving new homes

TheGaffer
06-06-2008, 07:55 AM
I'm speechless:evil::evil:

That's so awful, those poor buns and ratties :cry:

Hope they pull through

rachelsawyer
06-06-2008, 09:05 AM
That makes me feel so sick:evil::evil::censored::censored:, why do people let them get like that are they just cruel or cant afford vet bills. Anyway i hope they all make a speedy recovery the rats and buns! :)

mullethead
06-06-2008, 09:18 AM
Thats :censored::censored:horrific,i feel like :censored:them.

*Bex*
06-06-2008, 09:28 AM
:censored: The poor things :censored:

Amy104
06-06-2008, 10:04 AM
Those poor bunnies. :cry:

Please tell Caroline from me that those bunnies are 10 times better off already now they have her on their side. I really admire the work all you rescues do. It must be hard to see such suffering but you must remember all the good you all do.

clutterydrawer
06-06-2008, 10:31 AM
oh my god look at the curly teeth in the second pic :( :( :(

HOW could you go down to feed your buns every day, see those teeth, and NOT do anything about it?! what would have to got through your mind?!

well done to caroline for saving them, she must be such a strong person, it would be so hard to look at them seeing what a state theyre in and knowing how they've suffered. I hope she can keep positive about it as she's doing a brilliant job.

Sooz
06-06-2008, 10:37 AM
I wish I could say 'I can't believe it' but really I can believe that and worse of people now. I can also believe it's done as much out of deliberate neglect as ignorance.

Sending lots of (((vibes))) for all the poor bunnies and ratties and hoping they all make a swift recovery and find an excellent new home soon.

Leanne
06-06-2008, 10:44 AM
:censored: :censored: :censored::evil:

I hope they all recover well and find loving new homes :)

Kay
06-06-2008, 10:54 AM
Thank you everyone for your kind words and PM's. Those who have expressed the wish to donate I am taken back at your kindess and shall get an address to you (in the middle of all this Caroline is having to move home).

I promise to get pictures of them on Sunday.

Thank you again your all so lovely

Kay xx

HannahBee
06-06-2008, 12:21 PM
:shock::evil::censored::evil::shock:

Ohmygod, don't know what to say

Only last night I was having a snug with my bun and thought to myself how much i loved him and I could never do anything to make him sad or hurt!! And then I see this... It is disgusting!! - If only the people could be kept in similar (if not worse) conditions for a while just to see how awful it must've been for these poor animals.

My thoughts are with these poor buns and the amazing people who have resued them! :)

x

drpengie
06-06-2008, 01:55 PM
I hope this person is charged over this. Even though there are laws now people rarely seem to get prosecuted!

cheekytikki
06-06-2008, 02:08 PM
:shock::shock::evil::censored::censored:omg :shock:

Kay
06-06-2008, 03:07 PM
Just an update the rats have finally all been checked and counted, they are 80 of them!!!! :shock: it is unknown how many of them may or are pregnant!!

So currently The Rabbit Residence is home to 80 rats, and 90 rabbits, plus all the holiday boarders! No wonder Caroline is stressed. She is going to call me later tonight for a chat and I will get more details then.

80 Rats! I can't believe it and all kept in those plastic, sweaty boxes :censored: :evil:

Ben's mum
06-06-2008, 03:12 PM
Is Caroline active on the fancy rats forum? www.fancy-rats.co.uk/community
Several members have been involved with high-number rescues very similar to this (one in particular involved someone breeding for snake feed - the "housing" for the rats if you could call it that was smaller than these boxes and housed a mum, dad, 3 week old litter and newborns :?) so may be able to help distribute the rats around the country a bit to increase their chances of getting homed - having a high number in one particular area can make it a bit difficult
Emma at Furryfriends in Surrey has dealt with rescues like this too and may be able to advise/help - contact details are available on Rabbit Rehome or can be found by googling "Emma Furryfriends Coulsdon"

Luciuslop
06-06-2008, 03:18 PM
:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Whats happening with the ratties ?

Kay
06-06-2008, 03:23 PM
Is Caroline active on the fancy rats forum? www.fancy-rats.co.uk/community
Several members have been involved with high-number rescues very similar to this (one in particular involved someone breeding for snake feed - the "housing" for the rats if you could call it that was smaller than these boxes and housed a mum, dad, 3 week old litter and newborns :?) so may be able to help distribute the rats around the country a bit to increase their chances of getting homed - having a high number in one particular area can make it a bit difficult
Emma at Furryfriends in Surrey has dealt with rescues like this too and may be able to advise/help - contact details are available on Rabbit Rehome or can be found by googling "Emma Furryfriends Coulsdon"

Brilliant thank you. No Caroline isn't part of the forum. She has about 70 emails to get through a week which takes the limited pc time she has so generally I do as much pc work as possible for her. When we know the extent of the aliments etc I will join it then. Thank you for the advice :D

Ben's mum
06-06-2008, 03:31 PM
If you want me to pop up a thread with some basic details asking anyone able to help to drop you an email/contact you with their details, do just ask. There are various members around the country (Midlands, South-East, South-West, East, all over) who've organised/helped with these previous large rescues and it definately helped home the rats faster
Emma's mobile number comes up if you google for her and she's very helpful, she may have some more contacts that could help out too

Kay
06-06-2008, 03:55 PM
If you want me to pop up a thread with some basic details asking anyone able to help to drop you an email/contact you with their details, do just ask. There are various members around the country (Midlands, South-East, South-West, East, all over) who've organised/helped with these previous large rescues and it definately helped home the rats faster
Emma's mobile number comes up if you google for her and she's very helpful, she may have some more contacts that could help out too

That would be ace. My email (and I am happy for anyone to have my email) is km.lewin@yahoo.co.uk

I shall of course keep you all updated with both Ratties and Rabbits.

Talk about Epic task

sillyrabbit
06-06-2008, 06:53 PM
:cry: Thats made me feel so sick :evil: Poor buns and ratties :cry: x

vengeful.veggie
06-06-2008, 07:01 PM
Oh my goodness.. I really don't know what to say.. :(

NickieM
06-06-2008, 07:12 PM
How absolutely dreadful. Those photographs are gut wrenching. How those poor animals managed to eat anything at all is a miracle. It must have been pure survival and no pleasure in life at all. I hope they get nice homes as they all deserve so much better.

Vibes to Caroline and her helpers. Hope she gets over her bleak feeling, although having been faced with all these animals in need, is it any wonder!

oscarbunny
06-06-2008, 07:21 PM
Those photos are awful, those poor poor bunnies. Evil :censored::censored: who did that to them. Beyond words...

Caroline you are amazing, you truly are. Keep up the good work xx

Keyzzee
06-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Words fail me, the guy claims to love his bunnies so why didnt he look after them properly. People like that make me sick to the stomach I think he is a bleeping :censored:. Caroline you are a marvel, and deserve a medal, if you have any doubts about the difference you make, just look at the photos of those bunnies before you sorted them out and the photos after and ask yourself the same question. Ive never been a fan of rats but neither would I like to see them in those conditions. I hope these rescued pets find homes they deserve. Please please kay tell caroline to keep up the good work, bunnies across the country need people like her.

The Duchess
06-06-2008, 09:58 PM
Can I please have the address of the bloke who had them - I want to go round with a sledgehammer and give him a piece of my mind *resumes normal composure*

Please tell Caroline that we are all thinking of her and the buns and please let us know if there is anything that any of us can do.

Helen x

AlisonA
06-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Arrr Caroline is such a star - I've had so much going on in various ways recently I have barely had a chance to say 'hi' to her, but I do think of her often and hope to be able to get stuck back in helping again soon.

Caroline devotes her life 100% to rabbit rescue and is so good at bringing neglected and scared rabbits back to full physical and mental health - as well as ensuring they are rehomed to an incredibly high standard. It's so like her to take on all this work, knowing full well that it will affect her so much financially and emotionally.

Fingers crossed for all these little ones xxx

lilminxlou
07-06-2008, 12:57 PM
omg thats really hurt me, how could the so called owners let it get that far? its awful. :cry: :cry: :cry:

loads of vibes, is there anything anyone can do to help?

tickles
08-06-2008, 03:47 PM
hi is there any more updates please thankx

Kay
08-06-2008, 09:08 PM
Hello well what an improvement all the buns are making. They are terribly shy still but they know they're safe so have really relaxed.

This gorgeous bun is the one that had the awful long nails, such a sweetie: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v224/maria2004/Rescue/Picture038.jpg

and this sweetie is the one that had the awful long teeth and the dirty bum:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v224/maria2004/Rescue/Picture003.jpg

All nails have been clipped and the teeth on all have been cut down but the lovely lop needs to have hers removed. The others are really shy so I didn't want to upset them by taking photos.

The Ratties are doing really well too (they smell funny don't they). They are all young ones apart from the two parents. Here's some photos of them, thanks to the lovely people on here we are starting to find forever homes for the ratties :D:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v224/maria2004/Rescue/Picture013.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v224/maria2004/Rescue/Picture008.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v224/maria2004/Rescue/Picture006.jpg

Finally I had to share this lovely lot with you:
The babies are looking to the two lovely giants lops as surrogate parents, they all get on so well :love:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v224/maria2004/Rescue/Picture019.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v224/maria2004/Rescue/Picture016.jpg

The Mum is busy with these little loves :love: the mum is huge and the Dad is a Netherland Dwarf :shock: :lol: They are gorgeous:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v224/maria2004/Rescue/Picture031.jpg

Ben's mum
08-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Just to let you know, rats don't really need a high fibre diet so won't really eat rabbit pellets. It's also not really advised to put hay in as bedding, there's a post on here about a rat who got a hay seed stuck in its eye, and there are stories of little animals getting poked in the eye with short hay strands too
Very gorgeous looking ratties though :love:

sazzy
08-06-2008, 09:24 PM
Hi if it helps i could take some male ratties but i think i'm to far away i'm in nottingham :)

Kay
08-06-2008, 09:25 PM
Just to let you know, rats don't really need a high fibre diet so won't really eat rabbit pellets. It's also not really advised to put hay in as bedding, there's a post on here about a rat who got a hay seed stuck in its eye, and there are stories of little animals getting poked in the eye with short hay strands too
Very gorgeous looking ratties though :love:

Thank you, they came with no food so Caroline has had to improvise but fresh proper rat food is being delivered in the morning. Its ready grass that they are one because it was the softest thing we had. Points taken on board though and I'll text Caroline :D

bluebunny
08-06-2008, 09:25 PM
I know somone who wants two rats could we do a ratty run prehaps? she wants two young females

Ben's mum
08-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Also (not meaning to nit-pick, honest!) rats shouldn't be kept on shavings - irritates their sensitive respiratory systems. If Caroline doesn't have anything else then shredded paper or newspaper will be fine :)

Kay
08-06-2008, 11:06 PM
Also (not meaning to nit-pick, honest!) rats shouldn't be kept on shavings - irritates their sensitive respiratory systems. If Caroline doesn't have anything else then shredded paper or newspaper will be fine :)

Cool thank you. I think it was all a bit of a rush at first. I have text her and she will put newspaper in in the morning :D

Still waiting for her to give me the phone number of the woman that is co-ordinating the rehoming. I am getting the leads that you have sent my way and forwarding as soon as Caroline sends me the number. I just text so hoping she texts back tonight. Its just been so busy that I don't think she's had the time.

Today it took me 5 hours to clean out 12 hutches, make sure everybun had fresh water and hay. Its amazing how time consuming it all is.

Tamsin
08-06-2008, 11:09 PM
You can pick up toilet roll or kitchen roll in bulk cheaply and that makes good nesting for rats. Just give them a toilet roll and they'll shed it themselves :lol:

Thea & Bobbin
08-06-2008, 11:27 PM
Awww look at them, they look like they are managing to relax :) They be so much more comfortable without those horrible long nails and teeth :(

CRBevis
08-06-2008, 11:33 PM
Ahhh bless their little cotton hocks - all safe and sound now:D

Sooz
09-06-2008, 12:38 AM
Hello well what an improvement all the buns are making. They are terribly shy still but they know they're safe so have really relaxed.

This gorgeous bun is the one that had the awful long nails, such a sweetie: http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v224/maria2004/Rescue/Picture038.jpg

]

OMG He ios GORGEOUS :love: :love:
If only :rolleyes:

Happy Hopping
09-06-2008, 07:42 AM
Kay, is Caroline on the RU Christmas Rescue 2007 list last year? Or the year before?

Further, is she on this list?

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/supporters.asp

I would like to donate, but I only donate once a year in Dec., it's now June, so if she was on the 2006 or 2007 RU list, then we have already help her out. If not, I want to know and see what my finance position is this Dec. So let me know

clutterydrawer
09-06-2008, 03:04 PM
awww so many happy chilled out bunnies :love: brilliant work!

sally1974
09-06-2008, 03:18 PM
cant believe what a awful state those poor animals were in, well done Caroline you are doing a amazing job they look so happy now.
Sallyx

Sugarbunny
09-06-2008, 03:27 PM
They look so much happier now!:D The original owner should definitely be prosecuted for neglect - how can he not have noticed!!!! Anyway glad to see they look so much better - well done those involved in the rescue and recuperation of these bunnies and rats.

Kay
10-06-2008, 09:41 AM
Sorry I've not been on here past two days - I've caught some bug ahhh

If anyone is interested in providing a forever home could you please phone Vicky on 07873590317.

Thank you everyone.

Sooz that steel dutch is gorgeous :love: he is so shy but on Sunday he ate some pear out of my hand which I felt really honoured about.

Hi Happy Hopping I am not sure about the christmas list but I will look into it.

Thanks everyone :D

englishgirlie
10-06-2008, 10:42 AM
Thats so sad.. I was talking to a girl at the vets the other day and she rescused a rabbit as it was being kept in a hamster cage with a cover over it.And was being dropped bits of food once in a while.This rescused rabbit also suffers with her teeth.. poor things hope they get better.

BB Mommy
10-06-2008, 11:08 AM
the mum is huge and the Dad is a Netherland Dwarf :shock: :lol: They are gorgeous:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v224/maria2004/Rescue/Picture031.jpg

He must have had a footstool handy at the time:lol: and thank god it wasn't the other way around!

Great pics. Lovely to see what some tlc can do.
I really hope these guys get forever homes soon.

sazzy
12-06-2008, 05:30 PM
Just been in contact regarding the ratties and i've been told there for sale not rehoming :?

Julia123
12-06-2008, 05:45 PM
and this sweetie is the one that had the awful long teeth and the dirty bum:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v224/maria2004/Rescue/Picture003.jpg

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :love::love::love::love::love::love: Oh my !!! I want....:oops: Poor little lambkin :cry: hmmm I hope she finds a good home - I would sooooo love her....but need to be sensible :cry::cry:

bluebunny
12-06-2008, 08:14 PM
Just been in contact regarding the ratties and i've been told there for sale not rehoming :?

Really?:? ive passed the number onto someone i know too!

sazzy
12-06-2008, 08:19 PM
Yeah she said she had to get rid of the adults cause someone told on her to the council about how many animals she had she put in the txt the babies she bred or the shops but they don't want hoodies she wants 10 for 2 or would consider the same price for 3 boys it doesn't make sense :?

sazzy
12-06-2008, 08:20 PM
I've pm'ed kay to find out what is going off :? but she not online at the moment

Kay
13-06-2008, 09:13 AM
I am really annoyed about this!

The story I have NOW been told is that the owner is a single Mum who decided to breed fancy rats to bump up her income!

All Caroline told me was that she'd had several buns and 80 rats in in awful condition and how on earth can people say they love animals? Being kind hearted I agreed to try and help and spent the past few days trying to find homes for these ratties to find out that this woman is trying to sell them! I don't know if Caroline know this but the phone number came from her!

I now suspect that Caroline is boarding these rats for this woman, if this is the case then I have been grossly misinformed.

I have text Caroline asking for clarification and will let you know what her reply is.

charlie82
13-06-2008, 09:48 AM
Is this the same place that the rabbits came from?? If so then coul you not report her to the RSPCA? You have photos as evidence and I am not sure why a rescue would want to support someone who is keeping animals this way. I don't know why they would want to stay on good terms with her....how bizarre!

Well done for all of your efforts Kay, I hope it turns out to be a misunderstanding!!!

I am really annoyed about this!

The story I have NOW been told is that the owner is a single Mum who decided to breed fancy rats to bump up her income!

All Caroline told me was that she'd had several buns and 80 rats in in awful condition and how on earth can people say they love animals? Being kind hearted I agreed to try and help and spent the past few days trying to find homes for these ratties to find out that this woman is trying to sell them! I don't know if Caroline know this but the phone number came from her!

I now suspect that Caroline is boarding these rats for this woman, if this is the case then I have been grossly misinformed.

I have text Caroline asking for clarification and will let you know what her reply is.

ellejay
13-06-2008, 10:19 AM
AaWWWW She is absolutely stunning, If we lived nearer I'd be there in a heartbeat.:love::love:

raine
13-06-2008, 10:22 AM
Knowing Caroline, then her only concern would be the welfare of the rats and she certainly would not be aiding anyone selling bunnies or rats. Maybe the owner saw a quick way of making a buck when she got calls offering homes.
Im sure that this will be sorted shortly.

Kay
13-06-2008, 10:25 AM
Got a very upset text back from Caroline saying:

She is just a stupid :censored: taking the :censored: out of me for looking after them.

----------------------
I have just been told that the buns came in the same day but by a different person and Caroline apologises for the confussion. She told me that she took the ratties in because this woman had acted as a rescue who had been approached to rehome but didn't have the room. Caroline didn't really have the room but wanted the help and now this woman appears to just be using her as the council won't let her sell them out of her flat! Unbelieveable cheek!

Considering she kept them in plastic tubs I don't see that she has a foot to stand on.

I don't know what to say. I feel fed-up and embrassed now for getting involved but I was so upset about the condition of them all. Thanks everyone for the offer of help, I guess this goes on hold now and Caroline will have to contact this woman and find out whats going on!

Ben's mum
13-06-2008, 10:27 AM
Does Caroline have any signing over forms? Perhaps she should give the woman the ultimatum of signing them over to Caroline or taking them back (and Caroline reporting her to the council)?

montyflossy
13-06-2008, 10:29 AM
Give the woman the opportunity of signing them over (she can make a quick form if she doesn't have one) or the option that caroline will return the rats immediately AND report her to the council.

raine
13-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the update Kay. Sadly there are some unscrupulous breeders out there and we have met many. They do think the rest of the world is a bit thick and they can lie and not get caught out:roll: Ive had some tell me the most obvious lies to my face , I say nothing and remove the bunnies I have gone to rescue. Im a firm believer that eventually life catches up with everyone:evil:

I knew Caroline would be very upset by this. You have no reason to be embarrassed Kay and I hope you will continue to support Caroline with her rescue as she so needs people like you.

Its great news that she is in council property and cannot continue. I think Caroline needs to contact the RSPCA and have a chat with them about ownership of the rats etc.

We shouldn't focus too much on this and need to concentrate on the lovely bunnies that are featured in this post and need loving homes.

Kay
13-06-2008, 11:29 AM
Thank you everyone. Caroline is indeed upset. She phoned me earlier and is in a quandary with what to do. I have suggested that she signs gets them signed over and rehomes herself. I know Caroline feels abit silly and really is in a dangerous position because if the locals find out she has rats on site they will go mad. She already has to get planning permission every year from the council to be there because of the hassle the local residents give her.

Its so annoying that kind hearted individuals are taken for a ride like this. Caroline is going to charge for boarding now but only 1 a day which won't go anyway near covering the costs so far. The cages alone cost over 100!

I'll keep you posted. The bunnies are doing well.

Siona
13-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Thank you everyone. Caroline is indeed upset. She phoned me earlier and is in a quandary with what to do. I have suggested that she signs gets them signed over and rehomes herself. I know Caroline feels abit silly and really is in a dangerous position because if the locals find out she has rats on site they will go mad. She already has to get planning permission every year from the council to be there because of the hassle the local residents give her.

Its so annoying that kind hearted individuals are taken for a ride like this. Caroline is going to charge for boarding now but only 1 a day which won't go anyway near covering the costs so far. The cages alone cost over 100!

I'll keep you posted. The bunnies are doing well.

Since this woman was keeping them in terrible conditions the RSPCA should be informed, and the council. You have photos as proof after all.
I would refuse to give them back to her.

Either that or charge her 5 per day boarding. Shes taking the :censored:
Mind you, if you charge her too much she'll take them back and then god knows where they'll end up! :roll:

RSPCA is definitely the best bet. What a cow.

Happy Hopping
13-06-2008, 11:42 AM
So Caroline's next door neighbor so happen to be a breeder who breed rats?

Kay
13-06-2008, 11:59 AM
So Caroline's next door neighbor so happen to be a breeder who breed rats?

No not her neighbour. I meant the neighbours of the rescue are anti-rescue and if they found out that we had rats down their as well then they would go mad.

I have advised her to tell the RSPCA. The conditions were awful and we have the photos too. I think Caroline helped this woman because she figured that having them with her she was giving them a better life than this woman could and we could all help rehome including the woman. I am very confused by it all to be honest. I have told Caroline that I won't help out if this woman is selling them and that she shouldn't be rewarded for treating them so badly.

sazzy
13-06-2008, 02:02 PM
Just this minute had another txt of the girl it is as follows

Tell you what, if you want hoodeds you can have them for nothing. I don't have any cages tho

I think something has been said and she's not happy :?

Kay
13-06-2008, 02:12 PM
Yes, words have been exchanged! but this is between us lot.

I had a long conversation with Caroline about the situation and said that I know Caroline is a softy but she has to be firm with this woman and tell her they are either to be rehomed as rescues OR her details passed to the RSPCA.

Also from a harsh point of view the rats are taking up valuable rabbit boarding space and its this money that helps keep the rescue afloat.

I am still pushing for the woman to sign them over to the rescue so we can rehome ourselves.

sazzy
13-06-2008, 02:14 PM
Do you think she will sign them over?

Kay
13-06-2008, 02:22 PM
Do you think she will sign them over?

Seriously doubt it to be honest :(

Hugbut
13-06-2008, 02:24 PM
Anyone who could let animals get in that state need shot :censored: There's just no excuse for it when there are so many organisations willing to help.

sazzy
13-06-2008, 02:25 PM
Well it's just the hoodies she is having problems with from what i can tell as i said i wanted a couple of berkies and she said she can't help as she can sell them but not the hoodies

Kay
13-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Right just got off the phone to Caroline.

Basically this woman is now contacting Pet shops to buy them off her! and trying to palm off what they won't take.

Just to clarify the rabbits on this post and the rats are from two different people. I was told it was the same person in error. The rats however were still kept in awful plastic boxes though.

I would have given up by now but I know Caroline needs them gone as she doesn't have the time or space. She is far too busy with the 90 rabbits we have at the moment!

Julia123
13-06-2008, 03:11 PM
How are those lovely bunnies doing? :D

Kay
13-06-2008, 03:15 PM
How are those lovely bunnies doing? :D

They are doing really well! :thumb: Going back up there on Sunday and will get another update including more adorable photos. The lovely honey lop is having her teeth removed today though.

:D

Siona
13-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Why can't she refuse to give the rats back?
If this woman is on benefits she could threaten to call the benefits people? THat should scare her!!
After all, she can't take them back to her flat or she'll be evicted so she can't get the police involved.
She can't call the RSPCA because she is in the wrong. Caroline holds all the cards. :)

Threaten her and make her sign them over.

Julia123
13-06-2008, 03:35 PM
They are doing really well! :thumb: Going back up there on Sunday and will get another update including more adorable photos. The lovely honey lop is having her teeth removed today though.

:D

Oooh hope she's ok. She is absolutely gorgeous :love::love: .

Glad they are all getting better, look forward to more piccys :D

Kay
13-06-2008, 03:41 PM
Why can't she refuse to give the rats back?
If this woman is on benefits she could threaten to call the benefits people? THat should scare her!!
After all, she can't take them back to her flat or she'll be evicted so she can't get the police involved.
She can't call the RSPCA because she is in the wrong. Caroline holds all the cards. :)

Threaten her and make her sign them over.

Will certainly pass your thoughts on and I do agree with them. I wish I had a little more power in all this. Caroline had words with her earlier today and the threat was made. When Caroline gets a spare second she is going to call her again asking her to sign them over.

Jack's-Jane
13-06-2008, 03:47 PM
Only just managed to get these pics to download ( I'm still on dial-up :roll: )

Good grief the poor Buns and Ratties :cry:

I wonder if it might be a good idea for a Mod to move this thread to General Chat where it wont be accessibe to non RU members :?
The owners might have internet access.............:?

Thank goodness Caroline has stepped in to help, but what an absolute nightmare for her :cry::cry:

I really hope all the Buns and Ratties will find lovely forever homes.

Janex

Kay
16-06-2008, 02:33 PM
Bit of an update.

Alot of the rats seem to have been sold to a pet shop :( Obviously this was not the plan. Caroline has told the woman to collect the rest and that she wants nothing to do with providing animals to pet shops and only helped because she understood that these were rescues.

The bunnies on the other hand are doing really well. Looking much brighter and healthy. The steel dutch is gorgeous and even comes over for a nose rub now :D

raine
16-06-2008, 02:50 PM
Thats disappointing, but not surprising.

Glad the bunnies are improving and glad they are with Caroline receiving the care and attention they so deserve. Please keep us updated.

Siona
16-06-2008, 03:08 PM
Bit of an update.

Alot of the rats seem to have been sold to a pet shop :( Obviously this was not the plan. Caroline has told the woman to collect the rest and that she wants nothing to do with providing animals to pet shops and only helped because she understood that these were rescues.

The bunnies on the other hand are doing really well. Looking much brighter and healthy. The steel dutch is gorgeous and even comes over for a nose rub now :D

I would report her to the council and benefits people anyway. :evil: Problem is, if Caroline gave her the lovely new cages she's got lots of space to jam even more rats into, and if not they go back into those ghastly boxes!!! :cry:
How do you win?
Call the RSPCA! Grrr. :censored:

Sorry, rant over.

skeleton
16-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Thanks for updating us.Good to hear the bunnies are doing well,shame about the wee rats but hope they all end up alright too.

Stalvros
16-06-2008, 07:54 PM
Im looking at the picture where the bunny has
those jolted out teeth. I wonder how it can be fixed?

Kay
16-06-2008, 08:48 PM
Im looking at the picture where the bunny has
those jolted out teeth. I wonder how it can be fixed?

The teeth have been totally removed by the vet, nothing else could be done.

louise and Gus
16-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Just to add I am selling some CD's, all proceeds to Caroline at Rabbit residence http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=134622
Not a huge selection so far but more stuff to be added :D

Happy Hopping
17-06-2008, 05:26 AM
The teeth have been totally removed by the vet, nothing else could be done.

Are you talking about the front teeth?
I didn't know that. Why can't they just cut most of it, and sand down the remaining so they can continue to use the front teeth?

Stalvros
17-06-2008, 08:03 AM
How did the teeth become like that in the first place?
is it a product of torture?
or just genetics?