• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bun with few teeth- help with feeding please.

robert

New Kit
Hi

My rescue bunny (5 yr old) went to the vet today to have his teeth burred (was having probs eating hard food & runny eye & nose) When the vet tried to burr them, they fell out cos they were rotten, so basically he only has a few teeth left now. I was wondering if any of you kind people on here, could possibly recommend food i can give him now (he is VERY fussy!!) & suggest possible reasons he could have lost his teeth at such a young age (the vet thinks he is old at 5 ??)

Really hope someone can help me please,

Many thanx,

robert

No matter what he eats he needs hay and is best off with short strand if he cant nibble as a normal bun,i do know there are a few dental buns on here so someone may be able to give a bit more advice.

:wave: Hi, I have loads of buns that have got hardly any teeth and also some who have rotten teeth so they are basically stumps:roll:

I feed their veggies chopped up fine, hay chopped fine, and also give them SS or Excel Junior and Dwarf to keep their weight on. If they can't eat it dry then you can dampen it for them.

Some buns like A+P pellets as they can just swallow them without having to do any chewing:lol::lol:

I have had buns as young as 18 months have teeth that are falling out - it's to do with their breeding or a very bad diet while they where very young :(

They do adapt and when the gum toughens up they can eat most things normally :) If his front teeth are still intact he will use them more for chopping stuff :)

Try grating things - that works well if they have few teeth.

By the way 5 is NOT old at all!! Only just the beginning of 'middle age'. Try ad find a more knowledgeable vet!!!

Back