• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My Dougal bun has stasis :( U/D Tues 8pm :) pg 6

Siona

Mama Doe
It came on suddenly this morning after several days of threatening since they were all drastically overfed while I was away on holiday. :roll::(

He's been to the vet and had a gut stimulant, Metacam and an antibiotic injection just incase he's absorbed bacteria through the gut wall.

I've been syringeing fluid and hes nibbled some grass but there is so much gas rumbling around when I rub his tummy, and when it does he grinds his teeth so hard I can't bear it!! :cry::cry::cry:

I don't know what to do, he won't run around or drink on his own or eat, and his tummy feels like every bit of intestine is sticking out individually. It's never been this bad before, I'm so afraid I'll lose him.... :cry::cry::cry:

Last edited:
awww I'm sorry he's poorly - what a worry :( gut stimulant should not be given unless the vet has checked for a blockage. If they were overfed when you were away it's likely with moulting as they all seem to be at the mo, that his guts have slowed right down and are overful. gut stimulant is not a good idea, and neither are antibiotics as they will kill the good bacteria in the gut just when they are needed most. the only thing that will help him pass it through is hay and water water and more water, so you are doing right by syringing fluids - I syringe 10ml an hour plus 1ml of infacol baby wind medicine - if you don't have any it's worth nipping out for some :)

Sorry to hear this. :( He probably won't eat by himself until the poos start coming out. Just keep on syringing the fluids. You might also want to try some peppermint tea, obviously cooled down. I find that really helpful.

Oh dear poor Dougal :cry:

It sounds as though he may need a stronger painkiller than Metacam and also fluids by either subcutaneous injection or IV via a catheter in his ear.

Did the Vet rule out an obstruction? I do hope so. Personally I would have another word with the Vet who may suggest admitting Dougal for Intensive nursing. Vet may also want to administer some different medication to ease the pain he is obviously in.

I do hope that he will start to recover very soon

Janex

He's liking the peppermint tea actually, lapping it from the syringe. THe vet had a proper poke around inside him :shock: and found hard matter but didn't think it was a blockage, but I'm so so worried. :(
I know I shouldn't feel angry because my friends were helping me out - but I left instructions that they ignored and if he doesn't make it will be their fault.

awww poor little boy.. hope he feels better soon..

evil stasis :evil:

lots of vibes xxxxxxxxxx

I know it may be hard if he doesn't want to move but try to keep him running around. It should help keep his tummy going. Other than that just keep up with the syringe feeding (little and often) to keep his gut moving and give him some gentle tummy rubs. I hope he is ok.

Vibes to Dougal...it is more likely that it was the stress of you being away that brought on the stasis as opposed to over feeding being that stress is the main culprit of stasis and some buns are more easily prone than others. I really hope he pulls through....

I know it may be hard if he doesn't want to move but try to keep him running around. It should help keep his tummy going. Other than that just keep up with the syringe feeding (little and often) to keep his gut moving and give him some gentle tummy rubs. I hope he is ok.

THanks. :) I'm doing those things, I'm just so worried that he hasn't been like this before and neither has Doris reacted to him in the way that she is.

She's sitting over him and washing his head and she keeps putting her paws over him. SHe won't eat either. Not properly. She will nibble at things but then returns straight to him and won't take treats. I'm afraid she knows something I don't. :cry:

Also, what the heck will she do if we lose him? She's so upset right now. :(

Can't add anything more than anyone else. Try to temp him to eat anything, get any type of herbs to tempt him, dandelion, kale etc. Lots of fluids if you can. Tummy rubs and be cruel to be kind and get him to move around.

I hope he improves for you soon.

Dusty used to be very affected by Clover being in stasis, whereas Clover didn't seem to mind too much if Dusty was. I wouldn't worry that it means something terrible.

Really hope you get some poos soon, or I'd definitely be taking Dougal back to the vet.

Oh my gosh how scary:shock:. Can't really add anything new but would just like to say I am rooting for Dougal:cry:.

He's gone back to the vet. Doris has gone too this time. They are keeping him in overnight and giving him IV fluid and more pain relief and they'll try another gut stimulant later. I refused to let them force feed just incase there is a blockage though, although he thinks there isn't.

His body temp had dropped more, and the swelling increased, so the vet isn't hopeful for recovery. :cry: I've got all my bits crossed, but my heart is breaking.

Thanks for all your vibes x

I've got everything crossed for Dougal. The fluids alone might perk him up. Anyway, he's in the right place. x

He's gone back to the vet. Doris has gone too this time. They are keeping him in overnight and giving him IV fluid and more pain relief and they'll try another gut stimulant later. I refused to let them force feed just incase there is a blockage though, although he thinks there isn't.

His body temp had dropped more, and the swelling increased, so the vet isn't hopeful for recovery. :cry: I've got all my bits crossed, but my heart is breaking.

You have done absolutely the right thing in getting him back to the Vets and I really hope that he will respond to treatment.
Well done for being so good at making sure Dougal gets every possible help.
Please keep us updated about him, I know how upset and worried you must be.

Janex

awww hun i thought that when alvin was admitted after a whole day of no change after the first vets visit.. im 100% convinced the drip is what saved him and i also think now your baby has been admitted he will recover... they are like a miracle them iv things.. i got the no promises speech too its the vets way of preparing us for the worst and not having any "BUT you said hed be fine" thrown at them if it does go wrong...

sending loads of vibes xxxxx

Back