• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

i cant cope with him like this

lilminxlou

Mama Doe
:cry: im at my wits end with gumpy, since getting him neurtered 3 weeks ago he's awful, you're all probably getting fed up but he's horrible. if i pick him up all he does is bite me he doesnt come near me anymore, he used to groom me and everything but he wont have anything to do with me he has been binkying but he used to binky then come and lie down next to me and get petted. i used to love him but he doesnt feel like gumpy anymore, just a little brat that i have no connection with. i used to lay him back and stuff but he isnt having any of that anymore.

i just dont know what i can do. im trying my best attempting to handle him etc but im just losing faith.

thanks i suppose he does its just like worse than square 1 as he was fab when we got him. im trying my best and making sure he gets plenty of space and attention etc has anyone else been through this? will he get out of it if i percevere??

Don't give up hun, it's still early days and his hormones could still be raging, they say it can take at least 6 weeks for them to calm down.

Bobbin was very very rarely affectionate with me but since being neutered 4 months ago he is much more licky :) And this is a bun that never did this before, I'm sure Gumpy will come round again, just give him time :)

hes probably a bit peeved that you took his balls away. he'll get over it. it takes about 6 weeks for his hormones to get settled so that might be why he is being mean

thanks i suppose he does its just like worse than square 1 as he was fab when we got him. im trying my best and making sure he gets plenty of space and attention etc has anyone else been through this? will he get out of it if i percevere??

Don't persevere as such, just leave him to it, I bet he'll come round again ;)

thanks guys, do you think i should just carry on like normal or go back to treating him like i did when i first got him building trust and bonding?

thanks guys, do you think i should just carry on like normal or go back to treating him like i did when i first got him building trust and bonding?

Yes, personally I would just tone it down a bit, he could be much more wary of things if he feels weird due to his hormones. You could lay on the floor more and let him climb on you rather than picking him up? :)

I really know how you feel. I had Arthur done and he seemed awful for about 2 months to the point were I was scared to go near him. Then suddenly he changed, he just totally chilled out and is the funniest fella now. It is all about time and letting the hormones settle. When you think its a very unatural thing to have done :oops:

I really know how you feel. I had Arthur done and he seemed awful for about 2 months to the point were I was scared to go near him. Then suddenly he changed, he just totally chilled out and is the funniest fella now. It is all about time and letting the hormones settle. When you think its a very unatural thing to have done :oops:

thanks i felt like i ought to do it for him as i was advised by a very rabbit savvy friend. and it seemed like the responsible thing to do. now i feel so guilty about it. felt guilty as soon as i dropped him off at the vets lol

Yeah I felt guilt and my partner couldn't even think about it without crossing his legs. I can honestly say Arthur's quality of life seems better. He isn't bothered about constantly marking everything, he isn't on guard all the time and now happily chills out in the garden and actually comes over for nose strokes. I have the biggest scar from him on my wrist, looking at him now you'd never guess it was the same bunny that did it.

big hugs :D

it was only 3 weeks hun.. at the moment hes probably blaming you for the pain of the op... you just need to regain his trust again is all... maybe not handling him for a while might help him back to trust

ok. i just feel awful that he doesnt trust me anymore an although he's happy (binkys when he's being a loony) he doesnt flop out which means he doesnt feel safe right? it took me so lon g to get him to flop out in the living room even then it was against the door or under my legs.

I don't know if you have but I would just get him checked over by the vet again just incase he is in pain from somewhere.
It can take 6-8 weeks for them to go back to normal.

I had Rodney nuetered 9 weeks ago today, now before his nuter he was never a cuddley bun, i can't pick him up, i can't stroke him etc but he never bit and was never agressive. After his nueter he became really agressive, he would bite, he became cage territorial i couldn't feed him without him attacking me he started spraying which he enver did before his neuter. Then one saturday monring about 6 weeks after his op i went to see him and he was like a different bun, he changed over night, he now binkys when he sees me rather than trying to bite me, he no longer hides and thumps when i let him in the garden he binkys everywhere then actively seek you out and just wants to be with you, which for rodney is a huge thing, he wasn't treated very well by his previous owners so has a huge fear of people. I can now even stroke him occasionally. Just stick with him, i think nutering sends there hormones into overdrive.

Poor wee rabbit won't know what's hit him so to speak and is all over the place,even though it is for his own good.Patience is always the key.My male bunnies were just the same before and after apart from falling out with me for a while,thumping when i spoke or went near them,just for a week or two.I cannae really blame them to be honest.Mines were still grumpy before and after but i loved them just the way they were,own personalities.

hand feeding (outside his cage) is a good way of rebuilding trust. I'd start from the very begining again & as you go further with him, his hormones should be calming down and it will get better and better.

Bud was grumpy for a while after his op - he was recovering when I brought him home from the rescue - the lady there said he was nervous but not grumpy. Well, he was really grumpy when I brought him back!! - I think it was the combination of his op and a change in environment.

Now you would never guess he's the same bun. He's not a cuddly bun - he's very wary as he was mistreated before - but if i sit on the floor he comes and climbs on me.

Quite chilled out now!!

Back