• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help need on hand rearing kit

getlaced

Alpha Buck
hi all im ashley and i have stumbled across this forum whilst searching for info on hand rearing kits. I am currently rearing 1 12 day old kit after its mother repeatedly attacked it, I am certain that this is necisarry as the mother has actualy caused the kit injury, a few small scabs which appear to be healing nicely (this happend almost 3 days ago) the kit is feeding on puppy milk, which is pure goats milk with the necisary vitimins added diluted with water. it appears to be feeding well, i am carefull not 2 allow it to drink 2 fast as i dont want it to asperate...... i have some concerns and questions though so would be grateful if someone would be prepared to answer my questions. the main one is about whwther i should be gathering its mothers fresh poos to provide the gut bacteria? i am a little confused as some webpages are saying no as it was not orphaned at birth and has had an initial 10 days of feeding from the mother. if anyone would help i would be modt grateful! thanx for reading!

Hiya,

Rather than feeding substitute milk the best option would be to hold the kit to the mum to drink. You can do that by giving her food as a distraction then lifting her to a sitting position and letting the kit latch on.

Because it's rabbit milk the kit has a much better chance of survival than the substitutes which are just best matches not as good as the real thing.

It also prevents the aspiration issue :)

Tam

that realy isnt ap option as she will not let me anywer near her and whenever i have put the kit back in shes attacked it and i dont want it to get any more injurys, so please if you can answer my questions we would appreciate it. thanx for the reply

Have you tried taking the mum out of the hutch? They are often very territorial in their hutch/pen but calm down somewhere else.

No, I wouldn't worry if it's already 12 days. You can feed probiotics though with the milk which is powdered good bacteria :)

hi, yeh they were both out of the hutch when we have attempted it, thats one of the first things we did as we have been lunged at and bitten many times when in her hutch but never out of it if that makes sense? the probiotics that we can give, where do we get them and how do we give it? in the feed? also the bun is taking between 5 and 10ml per feed, is this normal? poo and wee all normal also, and bun very active when not napping so thats a good sign im sure. thanx for the help

Yes, substitute milk isn't as strong as rabbit milk (which is very rich) you'll need to do 3-4 feeds per day. It will increase over the next week or so til he's eating about 35ml per day then decrease again as he swaps to solids. He should start nibbling hay just over the two week mark.

You can get probiotics from your vet, avipro is popular but there are various brands - it's powder you you mix it with milk. Or you can use fibreplex which is probiotic & fibre in a goo they lick.

Hi , we fed lactol to our orphaned babys and that gave them everything they needed , just make sure whatever you do you don't feed pellets to early as it can cause them to have really bad runny bums and also make sure you don't feed to much milk while weaning onto pellets as that can really upset them as well . When the baby starts to drink water you could put some entracare in the water we're breeders and we swear by it our babies have been so healthy since they've been on it. You don't need to collect the mothers poo the baby was with the mum long enough to get what it needed. Here's a tip its a good idea to give babys who've had to leave there mums a small cuddly toy to keep them company i did this with my orphaned bunny and it made him so much happier as he wasn't pining and he had something to snuggle up to. Good luck with your baby keep us updated :wave:

hi thanx for that we will look in2 geting some, what exactly is is? we are geting the probiotic powder to put in feeds tomorro although when i phoned our vet earlier they say he doesnt need it until 3 weeks of age when we introduce dried food........? he has had a lil soft toy dog with floppy ears he seems 2 wrap himself in since we started two days ago, which i think is helping keep him settled and warm. he started nibbling hay today. he seems to be grooming me, i have been licked repeatedly for ages! i will get some pics of him and show you all. thanx again

oh thats brill , entracare is a supplement that you can feed all rabbits of all ages in babies it helps with gut development, growing and has vitamins to help there development it also has prebiotic and probiotics in it so there would be no need for the powder starting to feed it about 3 weeks sounds right you can get more information about entracare if you google it and that should direct you to a website that you can order it from there also shops you can buy it from as well can't wait to see pics :wave:

i have found a place online to get it but hope to get in in a shop localy so im not waiting too long for postage! i really hope he will be ok

hows it going, i have handreared 12 kits in total, and several were only one day old, due to mums death, kits were rushed to me by owner, i never had poo from mum to give them so they all survived from birth with only lactol milk that kittens n puppies have.....although they were straggly little things, with greasy coats, from handling, they all grew up to be fine healthy adult buns, and coats improved when they were old enough to wash each other.... and on another ocasion, mum died of myxy, as did 3 of her day old kits, but the remaining two survived, and were so friendly. they died eventually of old age.

Elaine

Hi there I'm new to this! I've been hand rearing 2 Flemish giant kits. The Doe had a litter of 4 all was going well untill they were about 3 days old when I found 2 out side the nest and very cold. I'm presuming now it was acidential but at the time I was to worried to put them back and risk mum rejecting the lot. So after warming the kits in my bra! I've been bringing mum in to feed the kits 2-3 times a day. At first I was fliping her on her back as it was just easier for me and she didn't seem to mind actually falling asleep usually. They didn't seem to be getting enough so I tried with her being fed and placing the kits under her. They are now 18 days old they seem healthy and happy and have started nibbling on hay, grass etc. My concern is they are less than half the size of their syblings that the Doe is looking after on her own, What am I doing wrong?

Has the mum shown any aggression towards them? If her remaining kits are wondering outside the nest now she's unlikely to reject them at this point. I'd rub the handreared kits in the left over nest (to get them smelling right) and watch them interact for awhile to check they are okay.

I imagine the size difference is just 2 kits is a small litter for a flemish so the two in the nest fed well. The other two may catch up a bit later.

Hand Rearing kits - Elaine

Thanks for the reply. The doe shows no agression at all (even looks like she cleans them), my only concern with reintroducing them is the size difference. With the two bigger ones they are probably 3 times the weight. Will the little ones still get enough milk (will they be able to compete?). The little are out and about but I haven't seen the bigger ones leave the nest yet, it is winter though so maybe too cold. It would be much easier to place them back as I'm going away in 6 days time for 2 weeks and leaving Hubby to look after our many pets. He's happy to keep bringing in the Doe for twice daily feeds but would be easier if all he has to do is clean, water and feed them in mums hutch. This forum is great so glad I stumbled upon it! Thanks again.

I'd rub them in the dirty bedding and pop them in the bottom of the nest - by the time mum goes to see them they'll smell like the rest :) I should think as there are only two others they'll still get their fair share of feeding as there are enough nipples to go around. If you do it asap you've a few days to monitor they are getting fed before you go.

You can check they are fed by checking their tummies/general condition - plump and that their skin doesn't tent when you pinch it (a sign of dehydration).

I shouldn't think you'll have any problems though if they are nibbling on other food too. Make sure there is a water bowl or that the water bottle is low enough for them to drink from.

Tam

Elaine - Thanks

All going well so far, so I imagine they will catch up in size sooner that I expected! They are all nibbling on other foods aswell. Thanks again.

Back