• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

fat buns

IMG_0975.jpg

IMG_0970.jpg

I think he looks alright... Am no expert but I thought Rocky was overweight turns out he is perfecto! :D In my experience lops are fluffier... Have you got scales you can hop on and then take him on with you? Or the carrier idea? You could then phone a vets for advice (if you cen understand their accent ;)) Hope this helps!! :D

I think he looks alright... Am no expert but I thought Rocky was overweight turns out he is perfecto! :D In my experience lops are fluffier... Have you got scales you can hop on and then take him on with you? Or the carrier idea? You could then phone a vets for advice (if you cen understand their accent ;)) Hope this helps!! :D

im not overly worried i just wondered if i should be cutting down his food! i think because i have lucy who is smaller than them they are looking bigger to me. wispa looks massive!

i'd quite happily live how we are living but if it is damaging his health then i need to put him on a diet!

oh and the vet i saw for lucy was a southerner!

I would say he looks about right,he looks healthy and happy which is the important thing,I love Lucy too,they are so brainy

I dont think he's fat, just very fluffy, does his fur feel really thick? My Charlie is the same and he has really thick fur whick makes him look a lot bigger than Millie whose fur is a lot finer and sleeker.

Sharonxx

my vet would say he was overweight....she says my buns slightly overweight & they are thinner than he looks in the piccies (I'm not sure I 100% agree with her though). I always go by

1. Spine - You should be able to feel it, it shouldn't be sharp but there should be definition without too much proding

2. Ribs - You should be able to feel these again with not much proding

3. Arch under the rib cage - There should be one when the bun is standing...no bellies hitting the floor

4. Dewlap, if neutered there usually wont be much of one, especially in a male but this one doesn't always work as some bunnys are very dewlappy.

I'll try and upload a picci of my post diet bunnys tonight...they are now back to the "healthy" weight the doctor gave me.

that checklist is useful as I am worried that one of my rabbits is overweight but could just be fluffy (fur sticks straight out and is quite frizzy).

My other lady rabbit has a bum dewlap. Imagine a dewlap that runs from one hind leg all the way round to the other, at ground/bum level. I'm not sure if it's something to worry about, because the rest of her feels fairly slim.

honey got that a bit when she was a little too heavy but I suspect that older buns that don't more around so much might also get it as a little bit of middle aged spread.

I tried to get some photos of now skinny buns without much sucess so I've had to resort to:

Honey - A little on the porky side....note bingo wings and a touch of bottom dewlap.
P1000637.jpg

Honey - When she first arrived. Action shot but note the nice curve in her tummy
n734740693_1093679_6707.jpg

Foster bunny sid - A nice curve & well proportioned larger nethie
P1000765.jpg

Rosie - Perfect weight but nethies for some reason always seem to have a bit of a pot belly. You can see how much she's grown between that photo & my sigi but the vet still seems to think she is alright.....even though to me she looks like a puffball.
P1000665.jpg

Last edited:
I read somewhere that when a bun is sitting up that if his shape resembles an apple with a head as opposed to a pear shape that it is likely that he is overweight. I began to notice this recently in our lop. He looks very trim in the picture below but this was before he put some weight on. Two weeks ago we had the VHD injections from our local visiting vet service and the verdict was after an examination that he was a tad overweight. So his pellets have been reduced and he is already becoming much more active than he has been of late and should soon be back to normal. :wave::D

i cant tell with alvin hes always lying down :roll::roll:

sausage with a head means what? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

you could switch to the excel diet....not much increase in price & higher in fiber & lower in protein. My first bun sooty was on P@H stuff, I switched him over after I'd finished the bag no problems.

My Sooty is like an apple with a head :D

She is 7 years old, has a beautiful shiny coat and is very happy. At her age, I feel she is allowed a bit of middle aged spread :D

Back