• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I have just had a question and can't answer it

kayj

Wise Old Thumper
I have just had a phonecall of someone who said that they think their rabbit has myxi as its eyes are swollen, I asked if there were any other swellings on the body and she said no (the rabbit as been like this since Monday), rabbit is eating and isn't lethargic at all. I have told her to take it to the vets immediately as it could be myxi or syphillis. Does anyone know that if myxi is caught early enough will no other symptoms appear, I was just wondering as I know syphillis as similar symptoms to myxi.

Does anyone know that if myxi is caught early enough will no other symptoms appear, I was just wondering as I know syphillis as similar symptoms to myxi.

If the rabbit is unvaccinated, it's highly unlikely that it can be 'caught early enough' - because it is viral any treatment is about helping to prevent secondary infections, helping breathing etc rather than actively fighting the myxi infection.

If the rabbit is unvaccinated and it has myxi, its prognosis is extremely poor as it is progressive over a period of days then weeks :cry:

from what I've read, once it's at the stage where eyes are swollen, there should also be other lumps present, discharge from the nose, swollen genitals etc. So maybe this rabbit has something else if it's otherwise fine? Sawdust allergy?

from what I've read, once it's at the stage where eyes are swollen, there should also be other lumps present, discharge from the nose, swollen genitals etc. So maybe this rabbit has something else if it's otherwise fine? Sawdust allergy?

Thats what I thought:D
I told the woman to give me a ring when she is back from vets so whether she does or not I shall have to see

Back