• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Will bonded boy rabbits need neutering?

binkacat

Young Bun
When I get rabbits I was thinking of getting 2x boy rabbits as I've read that their temprement is often better. I was planning to get them castrated as soon as they would be old enough. I just spoke to the receptionist at the vet to find out costs and she said not to get them done unless there is a behavioral problem. But wouldn't 2 male rabbits fight unless they were done?

When I get rabbits I was thinking of getting 2x boy rabbits as I've read that their temprement is often better. I was planning to get them castrated as soon as they would be old enough. I just spoke to the receptionist at the vet to find out costs and she said not to get them done unless there is a behavioral problem. But wouldn't 2 male rabbits fight unless they were done?

It is very likely they will start to fight once they reach sexual maturity, and the fighting can be quite horrific.

If you do get two boys definately get them neutred.

If you're going to get them neutred however, you might find the a boy and a girl would be better friends, as it is a more natural pairing.

I don't think that the receptionist had any business telling you not to neuter. All bunnies should be neutered for their own benefit.

Males need to be neutered whether being paired with a boy or a girl as then become very frustrated when mature, which can lead to aggression to another rabbit or indeed towards humans. It really is the kind thing to do otherwise their hormones rage and they will try and hump everything, including inanimate objects. The become much calmer when neutered.

Females must be neutered to prevent the obvious unwanted litters but also to prevent uterine cancers. Most females that reach the age of 4-5 that haven't been spayed will get cancer. It is very painful and often deadly for the rabbit but is also very, very costly for the owner, when faced with the related vets bills. Females also become aggressive when unneutered, in particular when they have phantom pregnancies and makes a nest. The can become very protective. They too will be much calmer and happier once spayed. Any risks from the operation are far outwayed by the risk of the cancers.

Once neutered, it's feasible to have a pair of girls, a pair of boys or a mixed pair, although only likely if the same sex pairs are from the same litter. A mixed pair is much nicer in my opinion because you see real bunny love between a husbun and wifeybun rather than sibling love which is not quite the same.

Helen:D

I did say to the receptionist that girl bunnies needed to be neutered becasue of ovarian cancer - she shook her head and said that she's had lots of unspayed girl rabbits that lived to a good age.

She shouldn't really be giving out advice as some people will believe her without checking.

I did say to the receptionist that girl bunnies needed to be neutered becasue of ovarian cancer - she shook her head and said that she's had lots of unspayed girl rabbits that lived to a good age.

She shouldn't really be giving out advice as some people will believe her without checking.

I think that you are quite right. She ought not to be offering any 'medical' advice at all as she may well be thought of as knowledgeable or a proper representative of the practice, when basically she is probably not qualified to offer advice at all. It is possible of course that the vets at that practice hold a similar opinion as it's not unheard of for not so bunny savvy vets to prefer not to neuter due to their lack of experience.:(

If my vet receptionist said that to me I'd be inclined to write a short letter to the practice manager because it seems a pretty dangerous thing to say to be honest, and shes not doing the practice any favours either!

I wonder what she meant by "a good age"?! I suspect many people believe that 3 is a good age for a rabbit :roll:

Back