• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How Long Should Chance Have Panucur For?

catswhiskas

Warren Veteran
Seeing as we don't know why My Princess went to the bridge, but they had suspected EC as one of the things, Chance is on a preventative course. How long should I keep him on this for. I learnt so much yesterday about EC. Apparently it is the spores in urine that carry it. A bun could be a carrier for many years and suddenly get it, due to a low immune system. Even if they are wormed there is no guarantee that it will prevent it as the parasites aren't like regular worms, they migrate from stomach and cause cysts in brain which cannot always be penetrated by Panacur. However I would say worming is still essential.

This is just one theory as to why I have lost my Princess. I have refused a post mortem as I want her body left in peace now. However Chance is still going to go through his course of Panacur. How long should I do it for?

6 weeks. Like we said yesterday it may still not be enough but it'd do a damn sight more than 9 days.

I'd also worm him bi-annually for 9 days every year too.

I'd be tempted to go for 6 weeks too. But you'll find out the PM results during the 9 days, presumably, anyway.

I would think Princess died from liver/heart failure rather than e-c - periods of starvation damage their liver you see as the toxins build up in their gut when it's not moving much, and the liver can't cope - also if her kidneys packed up due to toxins and not enough fluids, she would get heart failure as a result of that - seems like a logical explanation regarding the week she had prior to passing, but I don't blame you not wanting a PM - I had Maa upstairs in a plastic box of hay for over 2 weeks after she died, which did help me come to terms with losing her, although I still can't bring myself to clean out her hutch.

However if you want to treat him with panacur then it's a 6wk course for e-c, although plenty of rabbits never even get ill with it (and I doubt that's what Princess died of)

I am not having a post mortem. I don't want her interfered with anymore. I want her body left in peace. She is gone and nothing will bring her back.

I would think Princess died from liver/heart failure rather than e-c - periods of starvation damage their liver you see as the toxins build up in their gut when it's not moving much, and the liver can't cope - also if her kidneys packed up due to toxins and not enough fluids, she would get heart failure as a result of that - seems like a logical explanation regarding the week she had prior to passing, but I don't blame you not wanting a PM - I had Maa upstairs in a plastic box of hay for over 2 weeks after she died, which did help me come to terms with losing her, although I still can't bring myself to clean out her hutch.

However if you want to treat him with panacur then it's a 6wk course for e-c, although plenty of rabbits never even get ill with it (and I doubt that's what Princess died of)

This in one of the most logical things I have heard.

I treated MJ for 28 days after Pippa died, like you we don't know if she had EC but all symptoms did point that direction and *touch wood* MJ seems fine now (and very happy with Opal :))

So sorry to hear Princess died :cry:

I cant stress enough how much I think you should worm Chance regardless of how slim the chance of EC may or may not have been.

There are no direct side-effects associated with Panacur so you really have nothing to lose.

I cant stress enough how much I think you should worm Chance regardless of how slim the chance of EC may or may not have been.

There are no direct side-effects associated with Panacur so you really have nothing to lose.

I definately will, its not worth the risk. xx

Back