• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Too Much?

MollyND

Young Bun
Molly is really loving her lettuce. Shes had 3 handfuls so far today. Is that too much?She also eats Timoithy Hay,rabbit pellets and apple on occasion.I'm introducing new veggies gradually.

What type of lettuce is it? Iceberg and those with light leaves and a high water content should be avoided.

Leafy dark & red leaf lettuce is fine in small quantities. Mine love Round lettuce and Italian and French salad mixes like Florette.

What type of lettuce is it? Iceberg and those with light leaves and a high water content should be avoided.

Leafy dark & red leaf lettuce is fine in small quantities. Mine love Round lettuce and Italian and French salad mixes like Florette.

This is Romaine. is there a complete list of safe and unsafe foods?

This is Romaine. is there a complete list of safe and unsafe foods?

Not one I've found thats reliable :roll:

Romaine is fine. The two I avoid are iceberg and little gem, not seen any others that look 'dodgy' commonly available in the supermarkets here.

I usually give mine half a handful each with two other varieties of veg, 3 or 4 times a week.

Only dark greens should be given to rabbits, some dark lettuce is ok, certainly not iceberg or any other very pale types. Lettuce contains something called lactucarium which can cause diorreah (sp) and liver damage when fed in large amounts. Some people even extract this substance and smoke it as it has a similar effect to opium - not something I would want to give to my rabbit :shock: :? Some lettuce is ok, such a Romaine as it contains much less lactucarium but even then I would only feed in *very* small amounts as a treat.

Here is a good quote:
Some people say that it is okay to feed Romaine lettuce because it contains the least lactucarium of the common lettuce varieties, but you wouldn't eat a product that only contained small amounts of arsenic would you?

Not one I've found thats reliable :roll:

Romaine is fine. The two I avoid are iceberg and little gem, not seen any others that look 'dodgy' commonly available in the supermarkets here.

I usually give mine half a handful each with two other varieties of veg, 3 or 4 times a week.

Sorry Sooz, didn't mean to completely contradict you there with my quote! :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

*trundles off*

Sorry Sooz, didn't mean to completely contradict you there with my quote! :rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

*trundles off*

:lol::lol::lol: Dietary advice is not my strong point but I do think Lettuce is one of those foods that's been satanised by a uncalled for blanket ban.

The amont of lettuce I've seen some people eat I think a little a few times a week is not going to do anybun any harm but it's up to each individual to make an informed decision on what they think is best for their rabbit.

It is worth remembering some rabbits don't tolerate certain veg well and have individual sensitivities.....though I've found these mostly linked to cabbage and brocolli!

Ok ty was just hoping to find a good list as obviously i don't want to feed her something bad,i only want to give her whats best. I'll break the news to her about the lettuce :(

Well said :D I think it's probably like most things, as long as it's in moderation :)

Psst to be honest I would eat stuff with small amounts of arsenic in!
;) :lol:

Psst to be honest I would eat stuff with small amounts of arsenic in!
;) :lol:

I've been known to eat apple pips and the cyanide dosn't appear to have done me any harm...
don't think I'll be eating a bag of them anytime soon though :lol::lol:

ETA- I'm not saying apple pips are safe for rabbits, there are reasons other than the cyanide content for why they are best avoided.

Last edited:
I just want to thank you all. Since i've joined you've been nothing but helpful. I am head over heels in love with my little bun and want the absolute best for her.:love:

when alvin had his stasis the vet told me i should be feeding the high fibre veg that will help with the teeth... he dismissed the huge list of veg i told him i give alvin... i was gutted alvin adores watercress too :shock:

he told me i should be feeding, kale broccoli cabbage and cauliflower.. ive also found sprouts have a high fibre content too as well as spring greens only this week i bought a romaine lettuce for a change which i am giving them a leaf to share at lunch time..

i miss the colourful bowl i used to give at breakfast lol

Hi, i dont tend to feed my buns or guineas lettuce it has very little nutritional value, you`d be betters off with cabbage or dandilion leaves but again only in moderation a too much will cause diorreaha :)

Back