• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

willow is poorly- U/D sat seems a lot better

Jayney

Mama Doe
went to the vets yesterday for the bunnies vhd jabs, all went fine both had a health check etc, then this morning willow was lethargic and would not eat anything.

took him back to the vets who gave him some injections and he stayed there for the day having syringe feeds and was put on a drip to give fluids.

he has done some poos and has eaten a reasonable amount of raspbery leaves and has now started to eat some hay.

has anyone else had this sort of reaction after a vhd jab-the vet didnt seem to think the two were related, although she was only a locum so i dont really know her but she did seem bunny savvy

Last edited:
I would say it is possible that it was a reaction to the VHD Vaccine if the brand used was CYLAP.

It is mentioned here for the CYLAP VHD Vaccine :

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/Fort_Dodge_Animal_Health/Cylap/-44936.html

Some animals have pyrexia which can last for up to 2-3 days

There is no mention of a similar s/e for the LAPINJECT brand

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/CEVA_Animal_Health_Ltd/Lapinject_VHD/-42509.html

BUT personally I would still consider it as a possibility.

Your Vet needs to inform the vaccine manufacturer about Willow's possible adverse reaction.

I hope that Willow is feeling much better now.

Janex :)

he has eaten a little bit again this morning-no pellets but some raspberry and rose leaves again but not loads

dont know what to do today now do you think he needs to go back to the vets for some more metaclopramide and metacam

Nearly all my male buns (wimps!) react badly to the Cyclap VHD jab. Usually with lethargy and not eating much. Looking like they have a BAD hangover.

Last time one also got the vhd jab 'limp'.

Take good care of him to prevent him slipping into gut stassis but I would not worry over much - they seem to recover fine in a couple of days.

It is a common reaction and your vet should know about it - try and get a better vet.

thanks parsnipbun, my usual vet is fine but this one was a locum

we have been back this morning and he has had metaclopramide amd metacam again, hopefully this will work and he will be feeling better soon

he is still only eating raspberry and rose leaves and refusing everything else.

if it is related to the vhd jab does anyone know how long it usually takes to get back to normal as we only have 2 small raspberry bushes and at this rate we will run out of leaves

Yes Honey had what was believed to be a reaction she wouldn't eat was hunched in a corner and was sneezing on her first VHD jab. On her last one she was OK I did have to hand feed her at first and I gave her some probiotic and she was OK after that.

I hope Willow is feeling a bit better now.

Rosie was quiet for a couple of days after her jab last year and then developed a bald patch on her shoulder which was a bit inflamed - not sure if it was related or not. She was back to normal after a couple of days.

I'm a bit nervous as she has just had her VHD done today, so will be keeping a close eye on her.

One of mine was quiet when I put her to bed the evening of her VHD (Cylap), she would not eat anything but then I saw her eat hay. I remembered there could be a reaction but she was then fine the following day. She had not had a reaction the previous year.

he is still not right he is eating some food and some hay but is still not himself and im terrified that when i get up in the morning we will be back to square one:cry:

i would bring him in for the night but that will stop him eating he is a total creature of habit and doesnt like change

he is still not right he is eating some food and some hay but is still not himself and im terrified that when i get up in the morning we will be back to square one:cry:

i would bring him in for the night but that will stop him eating he is a total creature of habit and doesnt like change

I think I'd be tempted to take him back to the vets (Or a different vet, yours doesnt sound too amazing) tomorrow - Poor little man :( Sending hugs X

he wouldnt eat a thing again this morning so he has spent another day at the vets

the vet took some xrays of his stomach etc and there is no blockage, no gas and while she had him sedated she also had a really good look around his mouth and could see no problem there.

she phoned the drug manufacturor and they said it is not a known side affect to them.

ive got to pick him up at about 6ish and continue to try and get him eating again

i just want my naughty little willow back again:cry:

this morning he is eating some grass and a few bits of parsley i just dont know what to do im sat here crying my eyes out cos im so scared ill lose him.

he is eating bits on his own and i know that is a good sign but its horrid seeing him like this.

i dont really want to take him back to the vets as he gets SO stressed about it and he has been through enough:cry:

i feel sick and useless

this morning he is eating some grass and a few bits of parsley i just dont know what to do im sat here crying my eyes out cos im so scared ill lose him.

he is eating bits on his own and i know that is a good sign but its horrid seeing him like this.

i dont really want to take him back to the vets as he gets SO stressed about it and he has been through enough:cry:

i feel sick and useless

Oh Sweetie :cry: How were your vets yesterday? Were you impressed? Forgot to say, at least he is eating something - thats a definately plus! Keep your chin up, I know its so hard X

the vets were really good yesterday i turned up in tears at opening time and they saw him straight away. they took xrays, sedated him to have a really good look in his mouth and took some blood but they cant find any reason for him not to eat.

they kept him in and syringed him every 30mins and put a drip in to give him extra fluids.

i just hope to god he is back to normal soon-he hates being syringed so much and gets really stressed by it, i just dont know if i can put him through it for much longer

Good news about the vets, It does sound as though they are covering all areas. Do you have him home with you now? I dont have much advice hun Im afraid, try changing the title to attract peoples attention. We're sending Willow big vibes XX

Have you tried getting some parsley and coriander etc for the supermarket (preferably the 'still growing in pots stuff') that often triggers an interest in food.

Do hope he feels better soon.

Hi Jayney.... so sorry to hear you are having to go through this. Is he pooping? How much is he eating. If he is managing to pass foods through his body then I would keep him calm and hope that this improves. Is he showing any sign of pain?

Back