• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Daisy update - big improvement!

vick

Alpha Buck
We're taking Daisy to our favourite rabbit vet tonight who will hopefully be able to help her. We were worried that she had developed a neurological problem following her dental as something was causing her to swing her head. We also thought she might have an asbcess behind her eye as it had been bulging but apart from the constant discharging her eye now looks normal again. The thing that worries me most is that since the weekend one side of her face has started to bulge out and my heart sank last night when I felt a swelling on her jawline. I'm devastated as Benny had a jaw abscess and I know how difficult they are to treat, though not impossible. It took many many months, different vets and treatments but he was cured in the end.

I'm sitting at work feeling so nervous about tonight and I am just praying that I am wrong and it's not an abscess. Poor Daisy is now six and I don't know how much more she can take, especially if she has to have another general anaesthetic. She's been really quiet all week although she's still eating lots. I'm also in two minds whether to take Harvey with her tonight as well for comfort, but if she has to stay in and have an op I can't imagine he'll leave her wounds alone (if she has any) as he's an obsessive eye-gunk cleaner!

Please could you send Daisy some vibes again.

I'll let you know how she gets on tonight.

Last edited:
Sending (((vibes))).

Abcesses can form in the brain or deep in the ear as well as in the jaw or retrobulbarly and these could affect balance and produce neurological symptoms.

I hope the vets can help find whats wrong.

We're back from the seeing the vet and Daisy is being kept in for x-rays and surgery tomorrow. The vet think she could have more than one abscess but should know more by tomorrow. He thinks the swelling on her jaw is particularly bad - as bad as it can be but that he was going to throw everything at it and basically see what happens as leaving her be is not an option. He is an amazing vet - I haven't found another that I completely trust with my bunnies. I wish I could have recorded everything he said as he gave us so much information, totally different to hearing a vet say 'it's an abscess, there's not much we can do' :evil:

I have no idea what he's going to say when he rings tomorrow but in the car on the way home we said to each other that what will be will be, we have to prepare ourselves for the worst. If any rabbit can pull through this though it's got to be Daisy, she's a tough old girl. Before we take her out of her carrier at the vets I always have to warn them that she's a feisty girl and she never ever lets me down!!! In fact, the bunny burrito came in very useful tonight!

Vibes needed for tomorrow
x

Best of luck, it sounds like you have a very supportive vet which has got to be a huge positive in this :)

Oh no :cry: Sending massive vibes, I agree with Sooz though - definately a great big plus having such a good vet. Will be thinking of you & Daisy tomorrow XXX

I just wanted to update you on Daisy’s progress. We took her to see our favourite rabbit vet, who kept her in for surgery. He thought she had a possible 3 abscesses, one behind her eye, one on her jaw and one under the chin :(

He kept her in and operated the next day, which I was nervous about as she’s just turned 6 and went under a GA just a couple of weeks ago. However, I needn’t have worried as the op was successful and our brave girl is doing exceptionally well now. The vet drained the jaw abscess and found it was unconnected to the eye one. He’s keen to try and save the eye if possible and she is now on Azithromycin (oral antibiotic) and Viscotears to keep the eye lubricated. Amazingly she’s taking her meds like a dream, I don’t know what’s happened to her just lately. Even at the vets for her last check-up she barely struggled and only needed me to hold her – a total contrast to the bun who used to scratch my arms to shreds and backflip her way off the vets table!

Daisy’s appetite seems to be limitless at the moment. Almost every time I go into hers and Harveys room to check on her she seems to have her head in the food bowl which makes me sooo happy. The vet said he had to pull her head out of the food bowl to take her for her op! :lol:

Her bulgy eye is still a concern but hopefully with the drugs it will settle down. The abscess on her jaw looks under control too. The vet warned us that she will probably continue to have teeth problems but for now he is very happy with her! I can’t ask for more than that really.

Daisy says thanks for all the vibes!

Thats good news! Its nice when you have such a nice supportive rabbit savvy vet - our vet is just like that and its such a contrast to the vets i've seen in the past who don't seem to have a clue about buns. Hopefully Daisy will keep going the way she's going with her recovery - good luck:)

Back